WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Pinhoti Trail Head?

I am having difficulty finding the trail head is for the Pinhoti trail. On my map, I have myself going up the Alabama Road Walk, using Campy Road, ending the Alabama Road Walk at Flagg Mountain. I was planning on being able to start the Pinhoti trail at the mountain, but I am seeing other sources stating different trail heads, and no information on what to exact at Flagg Mountain.

If I get to Flagg Mountain, will I be able to make out the start of Pinhoti trail? Is there a sign saying where it begins with the blue blazers?

Thanks!

I haven't done the southernmost section, so I can't answer your question, but try posting your question in the Pinhoti forum at alatrails.com. Someone there will know.

Images

At this time the official route is road walk from the top of Flagg Mtn. (mile 0 ) to the trail head at FS 603A.
    Coming from the south you will see yellow blazes and a trail sign about 1 mile from the top for the Alabama Trail
    and the Eastern Continental Trail. You can take this 2 mile woods walk and come out on the road the other side
    of the mtn. and continue the road walk OR just stay on the road to the top and down the other side.
    When you get to the top, it is worth the half hour to go around the gate and walk up to the CCC tower.

With no reflection on all the hard work that's been done on many folk's parts, or disrespect intended, call my comment harsh, but I find it utterly ridiculous to engage in a 20 mile or so road walk 3 miles or so into a 335 mile NOBO Pinhoti Trail thru-hike. Someone, please explain the reasoning why Flagg Mt is considered the southern terminus? Why? Enlighten me, please.

Unless, specific southern terminus info was posted somewhere that I missed I was also a little fuzzy about what to expect a top Flagg Mt going NOBO. I see the official route/description posted on the PTA site but that's all I was aware of until you described the southern terminus BlisterBob. Thank you BlisterBob for clearing that up for me. If I was hitching to the Flagg Mt "official" southern terminus of the PT can someone access the odds of getting a ride? How much of a walk would it be to get to this TH if I walked the whole way from the nearest paved main road? Thank you. Appreciate any advice I could get.

I've emailed the chapter incharge of the Flagg Mountain trail. They said they'd have to look into it and would get back to me in the evening of Jan 7. It is 2 am and I have not heard from them. From what I've found out so far, the Flagg Mountain trail is a 4 mile loop, but it somehow connects to a connector trail that connects to the Pinhoti trailhead about 27 miles away from Flagg Mountain, but it is somewhat considered "flagg mountain trail"

Thank you blisterbob for the information. It was helpful. So, I go to Campy road, go up the flagg mountain trail until I see the Eastern Continental Trail/Alabama Trail sign, then I follow this. Will this continue to the pinhoti trail or does it end at the road? Will the roadwalk take me there?

Thanks again everyone

Images

If you are STARTING on the Pinhoti, go west from the 4 way stop in Weogufka on CR 56 to the next 4 way stop,
    then left for about a mile on CR 55 to the ccc camp rd, turn left again to the top of the mtn. You will not see the
    yellow blazes on this side of the mt. About a mile before the crest you will see where the short loop comes out of
    the forest, the road walk is blazed sufficiently and the turns are marked to the 603A TH.
    A couple hikers told me that they were offered rides by the locals as they road walked, one said he paid a taxi $18.
    for a ride from Sylacauga. If all else fails contact [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    With no reflection on all the hard work that's been done on many folk's parts, or disrespect intended, call my comment harsh, but I find it utterly ridiculous to engage in a 20 mile or so road walk 3 miles or so into a 335 mile NOBO Pinhoti Trail thru-hike. Someone, please explain the reasoning why Flagg Mt is considered the southern terminus? Why? Enlighten me, please.
    I do not think Flagg is the official southern most TH. The club in that area has said it so long that most think it is official. "official." Likewise, I do not think the Penhoti Trail Aliance has any offical capacity to define the trail. Despite the inclusive trail names, I do not know if they have any overall coordination or responsibilities over all clubs maintaining the Pinhoti. What they do do is develop and maintain a mighty fine trail. I do not know what agency "officially" determines the begainning, end, and route of trails. The Forest service publications, they might change, do not agree with most of the definitions of the trail and even the section numbers the PTA and AHTS have adopted. If you hike for enjoyment and you like walking on a paved road then start at Flagg. Likewise, if you like to "tick off" trails for the purpose of saying you did something, then start at Flagg. If you do not like walking on roads and just like to hike in/around nature then start at Rebecca. I, for one, do not do road walks because I do not enjoy them and I hike for enjoyment only. I can say I've done a lot of trails but that is a consequence of hiking, no a goal.

Thanks, Mountain Dog. From my comment, you can tell that I too don't prefer road walks, especially lengthy road walks that soon into a 335 mile trail. It's counter productive to why I'm out there but I understand the necessity of them at times. Excuse my rant. Got to think better about it, redefine how I approach things. Thx again for the comment. I feel better now.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Unless, specific southern terminus info was posted somewhere that I missed I was also a little fuzzy about what to expect a top Flagg Mt going NOBO. I see the official route/description posted on the PTA site but that's all I was aware of until you described the southern terminus BlisterBob. Thank you BlisterBob for clearing that up for me. If I was hitching to the Flagg Mt "official" southern terminus of the PT can someone access the odds of getting a ride? How much of a walk would it be to get to this TH if I walked the whole way from the nearest paved main road? Thank you. Appreciate any advice I could get.
    I have been wondering the same thing. Thanks for having the boldness to ask the question.

I thought that was a key point as the southernmost 1,000' peak in the Appalachians, or something like that.

++ New Posts ++