WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I use a hammock, but i hang my pack from one of the trees I'm hanging from. I use a liner, and i hang the pack against the tree like it sits on my back, and throw the pack cover on.

I have done this many nights in storms and never had my gear get wet, but that's just what works for me. Also, it's normally empty except for my stove, personal hygiene items, and empty stuff sacks. I keep my extra clothes(In stuff sack used as a pillow), electronics, book and other misc items in my hammock with me.

Just to clarify though, when i tented, I always kept my pack inside with me like the others have said.

I've done all of the above, slept with it, left it in the vestibule and left it leaning against a tree with a pack cover over it.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Same answer as Sevsa. Hang it, stand it against a tree with the cover on, leave it in the vestibule, or bring it in.

Once I'm in camp, what's left in the pack? Any extra clothing is likely hanging from the ridgeline of the tent, trying to get it dry, or else stuffed in a stuff sack serving as a pillow (along with the toilet paper, and my nylon bucket, any extra stuff sacks, and anything else that might be soft enough). Headlamp, map, notebook, pencil, camera, phone, and whatever I've brought to read are coming in the tent with me anyway, and the compass travels with the map. Food, cook gear, and toiletries are hanging in the bear bag. All that's left is my hand sanitizer, my first aid/repair kit, my knife, my Personal Preference Items (about a pound, and none of your business), my fuel bottle and maybe an extra water bottle or two. Easiest just to bring the whole caboodle in the tent (perhaps in an itty-bitty stuff sack or a big ziploc), and leave pack and boots in the vestibule. But sometimes I want the pack as a backrest (propped up with a collapsed trekking pole) or footrest, in which case it comes inside, too.

If I were an ultralighter, I'd probably hoist the pack with the bear bag inside. But I'm a clueless weekender.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

My shortened Z-Lite sleeping pad goes from shoulders to hips. My almost empty pack goes under my legs and feet.

Always in my tent, above my head to help hold my stuff sack (pillow) in place.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

The Local Johnny Reb
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    If your pack is as big as some I've seen on the trail, use it as a bivy!
    Now that would be a sight to see!
    -Jason

Either use it under your legs to supplement your sleeping pad, keep it in the vestibule or keep it outside with a large trashbag over it. IMO hanging it a few feet off the ground is pointless since critters and bears will still easily access it. If you're going to hang, make it worthwhile and hang it like a real bear bag using a true method like the PCT bear bag method.

Default is bag

I use my pack as my bear bag. Just tie cord and toss. Why carry an extra sack when your food is already in one?

Vestibule inside my pack liner (compactor grade trash bag). Have my platy-tube in the door in case I get thirsty in the night. I used to hang my pack, but I dont want my pack out of reach. If its raining, I usually just put it under my feet under my pad. Just play around little. Dont stick to the attitude of "to a tee" because what works one night, may not work as well 2 weeks later. Just go with the flow and dont try to know exactly what is going to happen each day. Plans change, blue blazin happens, Weather dictates more than you think. Have fun and let go

What to do with my pack while sleeping in my tent?

Let the bears hold it safely for you until morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    What to do with my pack while sleeping in my tent?

Let the bears hold it safely for you until morning.
    This reminds me of something from my trail journal on my last trip into the Big Frog and after 9 days straight of rain---

BEARS?
    Are the bears a problem in the Big Frog? In this crap the bears are worried about me. They are genuinely concerned I may get washed away or worse, lose my interest in being out, so have come by earlier to claw out a trench around the tent to help in drainage. One sits with his back to my tent door blocking the wind. Another walks around the tent licking off as much water as he can as it falls. Another is digging out a small pit in the ground in case I have an emergency turtlehead. A 4th is on his hind legs slapping at the sky to kill the rain. These are my friends.

A kid bear is doing backstrokes in the pond. Another kid bear is doing backflips in the lower campsite. They know what a long uninterrupted rain can do to a mammal and are here to help. I sent one over to Hootyhoo's parked car to eat anyone approaching.

[QUOTE=Tipi Walter;1407917]This reminds me of something from my trail journal on my last trip into the Big Frog and after 9 days straight of rain---

BEARS?
    Are the bears a problem in the Big Frog? In this crap the bears are worried about me. They are genuinely concerned I may get washed away or worse, lose my interest in being out, so have come by earlier to claw out a trench around the tent to help in drainage. One sits with his back to my tent door blocking the wind. Another walks around the tent licking off as much water as he can as it falls. Another is digging out a small pit in the ground in case I have an emergency turtlehead. A 4th is on his hind legs slapping at the sky to kill the rain. These are my friends.

A kid bear is doing backstrokes in the pond. Another kid bear is doing backflips in the lower campsite. They know what a long uninterrupted rain can do to a mammal and are here to help. I sent one over to Hootyhoo's parked car to eat anyone approaching.[/QUOT

Either you've been out in the rain too long, or you've uncovered a magic still. If the latter, please pm me. I need some hooch.

If your tent is near a shelter, I suggest you hang it on one of the nails provided in the shelter. This will assure it stays dry and will save space in your tent. If you are not near a shelter, I suggest you hang it from a tree or sleep with it in your tent.

As was mentioned earlier, if your pack still will not fit in your tent, then slip a heavy duty trash bag over the pack
    and prop it up against a tree. If you are camping close to a shelter, make sure that all food and stuff that smells
    like food(chap stick, etc) is in your bear bag or your pack will probably be visited by critters--mice! If you fix supper
    at a shelter and then go up the trail a mile or two, then you will not be bothered and there will be much less noise.

I like reading your trail journal Tipi. Your comments are often very insightful and introspective showing how you connect with the outdoors, nature and yourself. Your account of all those bears is colorful and imaginative to say the least. It makes me think you might also imagine some other things like tambourines and elephants outside your tent door.

Doo doo doo lookin' out my back(tent) door.
    There's a giant doing cartwheels a statue wearin' high heels.
    Look at all the happy creatures dancing on the lawn.
    A dinosaur Victrola list'ning to Buck Owens.

Tambourines and elephants are playing in the band.
    Won't you take a ride on the flyin' spoon?
    Doo, doo doo.
    Wond'rous apparition provided by magician.

Doo, doo doo.
    Bother me tomorrow, today, I'll buy no sorrows.

I like to put my feet up after a long hike and will sometimes use it that way. Otherwise its either at our feet or in the vestibule.

i use a eureka solitaire tent and the vestibule is too small to accommodate my pack. my boots, water bottle and crocs are in the vestibule. my pack is covered with a large garbage bag and propped against a tree at night. it may not be the preferred way but, it works for me.

It isn't a dumb question at all. I have a Gossamer (the aluminum pole version of the Solitaire), and the tent poses some problems. It really has no vestibule worth mentioning, so keeping the pack in the vestibule is not an option. The tent is very narrow and short at the foot end, so you won't be able to dump the pack under your feet. Using it as a pillow might be an option. I'm 6'0", and I can use the pack as a pillow as long as it is my Granite Gear Vapor Trail Latitude - anything larger poses a problem. Otherwise, you are going to have to keep it outside the tent (hang it to keep critters from gnawing on it).
    If you do keep the pack in the tent, consider a nylon pack cover. Put the cover over the grimy part of the pack to keep the tent clean(ish).

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I like reading your trail journal Tipi. Your comments are often very insightful and introspective showing how you connect with the outdoors, nature and yourself. Your account of all those bears is colorful and imaginative to say the least. It makes me think you might also imagine some other things like tambourines and elephants outside your tent door.

Doo doo doo lookin' out my back(tent) door.
    There's a giant doing cartwheels a statue wearin' high heels.
    Look at all the happy creatures dancing on the lawn.
    A dinosaur Victrola list'ning to Buck Owens.

Doo, doo doo.
    Wond'rous apparition provided by magician.

Doo, doo doo.
    Bother me tomorrow, today, I'll buy no sorrows.

Thanks for the lyrics and the sentiment---we all love Fogerty and his songs. But my mood was more like this---(and I've been drug-free for the last 35 years which is scary)---

.....and I've been drug-free for the last 35 years which is scary.

Hmm? Illicit street drugs? How bout pharmaceuticals? Over the counter? Adding trail side shrooms to the Ramen? Just sayin, that's a lot of bears in one place doing some strange things you're seeing. How many times did you see Fantasia? LOL.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++