WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Pack Size -- 2400 or 3400 Cubic Inches?

I am currently deciding between the Hyperlite Mountain Gear Windrider 2400 (http://www.hyperlitemountaingear.com...windrider.html) and 3400 (http://www.hyperlitemountaingear.com...drider-78.html) for my 2013 SOBO AT thru-hike.

The only substantial difference between the two is the volume. I have hiked with the 2400 for four days and three nights with no real complaints, but am worried I might wish I had more room for a thru-hike. Has anyone had space problems with a pack this size? Or does anyone absolutely recommend the bigger pack?

Thanks,
    Rich
    "I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life ... and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." --Henry David Thoreau

My though is that more volume can save you weight and money, and time on the trail, because you don't have to worry so much about making things compact.

You didn't mention your baseweight and what type of shelter you are using and how full your pack was when you went out for 4 days.

I used a 3200ci pack which had plenty of room left over even when carrying 6 days worth of food. My baseweight was 10.8 lbs which included 18.8oz for a camera hanging off my shoulder straps. I probably could have gotten by with a 2800ci pack, but going smaller would have been difficult with stuff hanging all over the outside of the pack (which I hate doing since overgrown parts of the trail will drag on it, possibly tearing or putting a hold in stuff). I prefer packing most stuff inside my pack and only putting stuff outside that is wet (say my tarp when its wet) or things I need throughout the day.

I'd go with the 3400. It's not much heavier or more expensive (though it is expensive!) then the smaller one. It looks like the top can be rolled down when you don't need to fill it all up and having the extra room could be handy.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

HMG will make the pack what size that you want. Larger is better with that pack in my view.

Journal Entries

You need to have room for 10 days of food.
    The sign says so.

You wont regret the larger pack , but might the smaller.

The 2400 is main pack volume.
    Thats the size of the Circuit without the extension collar , which adds another 400.
    Side and outer pockets add 900 more cubic inches.

Based on my Circuit, I could carry 5 days food most of the year in the 2400, with some stuff in the outer pockets. Water, tent, raingear., and I carry CCF and inflatable sleep pad inside.

So I think the 2400 is big enough for some people. Only you know if its big enough for you.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 01-05-2013 at 19:03.

Default Pack Size -- 2400 or 3400 Cubic Inches?

Could you share your gear list? I'm using an Osprey Hornet 32 for a long section starting SB.

My wife and used the HMG Windrider 2400 packs for our 2012 SOBO and really liked them. The problem with the bigger pack is you will pack more if you have the space. Those packs are really comfortable at 25 lbs and less. 30 lbs in that pack isn't comfortable and puts a lot of stress on it.

I wouldn't use a cuben pack on a thru, it won't last.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by swjohnsey View Post
    I wouldn't use a cuben pack on a thru, it won't last.
    Someone better call Joe Valesko then, and all the people from BPL and tell them their packs didn't make it.

i could easily thru hike with my 2200 cui zpacks zero pack. I don't have a hip belt or a rain cover either. Heads will explode.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I'd go with the 3400. It's not much heavier or more expensive (though it is expensive!) then the smaller one. It looks like the top can be rolled down when you don't need to fill it all up and having the extra room could be handy.
    This is what I've done with an old kelty pack, the extra volume is nothing more than a collar to extend the packs volume an additional 10"x 30"dia or about 900 sq", when not in use...roll it down and cover with brain...or not. The extra space is very helpful for cold weather gear.

Images

3400. The weight difference is barely noticeable - may as well have some extra space.
    If a tree falls in the woods, be there to hear it.

I have used a Windrider for about 3 years and over 3000 miles . I do have a small kit which is 9-12 lbs according to season and weather conditions .. When I have a big food carry ,I strap the bag on top using the middle top strap .Works well.- I would suggest getting your gear together and trying to size your gear with 4 days food. It will be your answer. AS to the comment of toughness,HMG uses the strongest material made by man. It is not pure CF but a blend that is still lightweight . More durable than any I have seen. If you are a member of BPL they have new review of the packs and RJ says it is his new go to pack! ( the larger Expedition model )

That's a nice pack..

Images

If you have used the 2400 for four days and three nights then won't it work for a thru? Even if you have a couple of 5 day carries, you only have to cram for a day. I also found that my gear volume was much lower on my thru than prior. I just got better at packing it up.

I would go with the smaller, I have a very low volume pack and love the compact design especially when doing stuff like rock scrambling.

Somebody had to have an opposing view!

++ New Posts ++