WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Also, is a camelbak worth it, or should I just get a gatorade bottle?

Another! I know Ramen doesn't have much nutritional value...but is this a viable source of food for the trail?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by pyroman9 View Post
    Mtn Mike... I have climbed to 22,851ft to the summit of acocagua - winter camped on the ridge of the presidentials in -50f with VERY high winds. Lets not forget Gannet peak, Grand Teton... I have done my share of winter camping. Are there situations in where it is helpful? Sure, however there those places you will be carrying nalgenes with you typically already and already are on a very different style hike. Comparing two very different types of hiking. As for a AT thru hike it is not needed IMO.
    All depends when you start & gear choice. When I thrued I started late March & got two 6' "dusting" of snow in the Smokies.Picture or Video 5474.jpg If a hiker is planning on normal year or going UL it helps. I apologize for not acknowledging you other hikes but hot water bottles have been used by me on AT & PCT several times. Adding heat to bedding has been used for hundreds of years. I agree with going to bed warm, but a warm bottle of water or two inside your sleeping bag helps when you get to it's limits. Even Gatorade bottles go through a heat process to sterilize them & can withstand hot water. IMO it's an option hikers should be aware of.

Bomber -

Quick question: What do you receommend regarding ATC maps and books? I have the 2013 Dat Book and Hiker's Companion but wonder if the maps and guide books are worth the money (and extra weight).

Paddyman

Personally just carry AWOL's guide.. it is plenty and will get your anywhere you need. I only ran into one or two hikers who carried a map and compass....

As far as camelbak - many people use them - they have pro's and cons. Try each on hikes before a trip and decided. Camelbak is pricey compared to a gatorade bottle and you risk leaks and stuff - kinda a pain with that.

Ramen noodle is crap. Knorr pasta sides are $1 each and taste much better - more variety - and have more to them, granted they are still food though and very cheap. I will stick with my pasta sides with a added package of tuna or white chunk chicken (my favorite).

Mountain Mike - no worries - and i agree. My point was that carrying a extra nalgene just for that purpose was silly - many alternatives or as you said just use the gatorade bottle it wont kill you. ha
    ------------------------------------
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.
    ~Robert Frost

Yeah I guess I was thinking that the gatorade botttle would not with stand repeated filling with hot water. Now that I know otherwise I will just bring two of those.

I was just wondering about Ramen because I really don't mind it that much, in fact, sometimes I actually enjoy it. I ate it almost every single day at my last job for about 5 months straight, so that's nice xD

Evan just get a new bottle when you resupply weekly.. simple and live a little try those Knorr pasta sides... bowties...yummm... spiral cheddar yummmmm lol
    ~Robert Frost

Quote Originally Posted by wesleygalles View Post
    I was just wondering about Ramen because I really don't mind it that much, in fact, sometimes I actually enjoy it. I ate it almost every single day at my last job for about 5 months straight, so that's nice xD
    Remember your hunger will grow and expect to eat two ramens and tuna/chicken/sardines for a decent meal. Pasta/rice sides are always preferable. With the water container, do what you find is best for you like previously suggested. I would make sure you can reach your water while hiking vs stopping and getting it out to drink. I carried powerade/gatorade type bottles and had a plyatapus liter I stored for times with little to no water. A good 3 liter option vs a bottle that took up space. I used bottles. not sure of you water treatment methodology, but if you have a sawyer squeeze filter, it will screw onto other bottles like the smartwater bottles.

bumping this up to see who else has questions - how can i help you all? Thru hike season is about to start kicking off!! WOOOHOOO!!
    ~Robert Frost

Did you delay posting your trail journals a few days for safety purposes?

not at all. be smart about people and if you get a bad feeling keep on walking. i had some great trail angels show up at intersections and give trail magic expecting me to come along. It was really amazing. I know some people do.. but i did not.
    ~Robert Frost

Thumbs up

Pyroman, you have started an very good thread...way to pay it forward!

Thanks there rocketsocks! I figure instead of hunting down threads if people have questions just post them here... easier for me lol
    ~Robert Frost

I would appreciate some feedback about my gear list so far. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...kE&usp=sharing

fleece and a puffy? why? fleece get heavy when wet... no real need for both... considering your already carrying 2 sets of long underwear also....

just a thought. otherwise not bad - get the rest of the weights filled in. i highly advise the site i posted on my first post for a gear list - it is designed for it and already set up, and free
    ~Robert Frost

Can you tell me more a about your puffy down Patagonia? What model you used, why you chose it, cost trade-offs, etc?

How much do you estimate you spent on:

gear before the hike
    food/supplies before the hike
    gear replacements during hike
    food during hike
    lodging during hike
    other

adriana - it was the patagonia down special edition jacket - basically the same as their other lightweight but a oz or two lighter - and i got special deals on gear because i worked at a outdoor retailer prior. I did not really break up prices but during the hike i spent around $2,500-$3,000
    ~Robert Frost

What are your thoughts on gaiters? Did you wear them? Would you recommend them or no?

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
++ New Posts ++