WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Most of the naysayers aren't very good at reading comprehension. He says he has food for six months shipped and and extra gear. That leaves $40 a week for whatever. If he skips in and out of town for $20 which can buy a meal and a cheap hostel, he'll have $60 the next town. As long as he has his food and doesn't have any serious vices, he can do it.

Also I ate 2-3 packets of oatmeal and coffee every morning for 4.5 months, unless I was out and ate what i had.

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    Most of the naysayers aren't very good at reading comprehension. He says he has food for six months shipped and and extra gear. That leaves $40 a week for whatever. If he skips in and out of town for $20 which can buy a meal and a cheap hostel, he'll have $60 the next town. As long as he has his food and doesn't have any serious vices, he can do it.
    Yea and in the other Thread she started today, she was begging for gear for her and her boyfriend becuase they were robbed, its a troll plain and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by jj2044 View Post
    Yea and in the other Thread she started today, she was begging for gear for her and her boyfriend becuase they were robbed, its a troll plain and simple.
    That may be but it wasn't part of the argument. However, if that's the case it and it's all bull, it ain't gonna happen.

Quote Originally Posted by jj2044 View Post
    Yea and in the other Thread she started today, she was begging for gear for her and her boyfriend because they were robbed, its a troll plain and simple.
    Thanks for yanking me back from the cliff.... Wasn't aware of the other posts.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    I think it was Colter who (in relation to speed hikes claims) said it is one thing to be encouraging it is another thing to give false and ungrounded "Just go for it man! Don't listen to the naysayers.)

The speed record attempts and the ultra-cheap thru-hike attempts pop up every year like mushrooms after a rain storm.

While your ideas sound good in theory, in practice very few first time thru-hikers have the kind of discipline you mention...never mind a 19 yo. And just how much food/equipment does this person truly have? I dunno myself...but someone still has to pay for the shipping of said food. And if the person get's sick of the food, well then they may be in a few surprise.

I think a person is far better served by the 'radical' idea of waiting three months (Mar vs June), save their money by working and then do a SoBo hike.

It ain't romantic. It's not the hippy "Just do it man!" vibe. And it isn't fun.

But, many of the people who aim to do a uber-inexpensive thru-hike are living in lala land. I've seen people on the the trails who attempt this. They end up quitting and/or mooching off people.

So suck it up. Work a few extra months and then have a thru-hike where you don't have to worry about the money as much.

If working a mere ~5+ months to save money takes too much..how the hell are you going to have the discipline to do a thru-hike?

Even if the thread is BS, this claim comes up enough where these thoughts are worth repeating.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

If I was to do a frugal hike of the AT I would probably do it SOBO and unannounced and avoid people as much as possible. I would still do trail towns, but try and hit them at a time when they are not expecting hikers. I would certainly work an extra 5 months before the hike, but I wouldn't spend that on the hike. It would be for when the hike was over. If I had the time and the money that most people seem to recommend for the AT, it would be on a different expedition like sailing a small boat across the Atlantic or something involving hiking and paddling and perhaps cross-country skiing, way up North maybe, not doing something so many have already done before and being chastised about not spending enough doing it. I get raped enough in every day life. I am used to spending very little money here hiking, paddling, cross-country skiing. Its cheaper than going out to bars and dinner and the movies and I see no reason to change that. It's the time, not the money. The less it cost the more time I could afford to take off.

Yeah, this thread is probably started by a troll. But so what? No less honest that people encouraging others to spend more than they really need to, because it has become an industry instead of a recreational activity.

[QUOTE=Mags;1386224...The speed record attempts and the ultra-cheap thru-hike attempts pop up every year like mushrooms after a rain storm.

....in practice very few first time thru-hikers have the kind of discipline you mention...never mind a 19 yo....

I think a person is far better served by the 'radical' idea of waiting three months (Mar vs June), save their money by working and then do a SoBo hike.

It ain't romantic. It's not the hippy "Just do it man!" vibe. And it isn't fun.

But, many of the people who aim to do a uber-inexpensive thru-hike are living in lala land. I've seen people on the the trails who attempt this. They end up quitting and/or mooching off people.

So suck it up. Work a few extra months and then have a thru-hike where you don't have to worry about the money as much.

If working a mere ~5+ months to save money takes too much..how the hell are you going to have the discipline to do a thru-hike?

Even if the thread is BS, this claim comes up enough where these thoughts are worth repeating.[/QUOTE]

REALITY CHECK! I know. Sometimes it offends. Sometimes it can hurt the ego. It's often solid advice though.

Since I totally agree with the last sentence in Mag's post too, I'll add, why get hung up in attempting to complete a thru-hike if the goal is "to get away from civilization for awhile?" Just do a AT section hike COMFORTABLY until the money runs out. Mission accomplished! No need to attempt a thru-hike where the odds are even higher of quitting, given the situation, that leads to developing and further strengthening the habit of being a quitter? Lack of meaningful sincere feedback by the OP is suspect. It's these double ended double minded wishy washy thread starting questions and comments that lead to endless debate, chaos, and confusion that never resolve anything. It's a favorite troll tactic. Done here.

Images

I hiked with a guy in '06 who did what thousand-dollar-hiker is proposing to do. He pre-bought all his food at Sam's Club, then had his brother ship him boxes about every three weeks, to save on shipping costs. Yes, he carried 21 days' worth of food at a time in his monster pack.

He rationed his money by having a $100 limit on withdrawals from his debit card. He avoided motels, zero days, shuttles, and all those other money-draining activities.

He also lost 55 pounds (which happens when you all you have is a packet of intant oatmeal for breakfast) and was on the grubby side of thrus, for lack of showering and laundering. :-)

So that was one guy who succeeded in doing a budget hike. Along the way, though, we left behind quite a few hikers who ran out of money, one as far north as Massachusetts, on a SOBO hike. One day I ran into a group of six outside Daleville, most of whom were quitting for lack of money.

Yeah, it's possible, but it rarely works out. Especially if you have the slightest doubt in your mind, which is the only reason you'd start a thread asking the question. If you could do it, you'd KNOW.

Mags' proposal is much sounder--delay a few months and save up more money.
    Last edited by Marta; 01-05-2013 at 23:38.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Quote Originally Posted by Caitlan View Post
    I'm not going to spend money in town, I'm not going to pay to stay in a hotel. This is strictly a trip along the AT and for someone that's trying to get away from society I'd say this is do able. I have 6+ months supply of food that I'm shipping out along the trail as well as extra shoes and misc gear. The $1000 is just extra.

I took 6 months to hike from GA to ME and spent a shade over $950.00. Of course, that was in 1972, when a grand would buy about what 5K does today.

Although a grand isn't likely to get you to Maine, it could get you to Harpers Ferry - about half way to Maine. Which wouldn't be all that bad a way to spend a couple of months "escaping society".
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I think the Long Trail is a good alternative for the $1K crowd. That would be a very comfortable budget. And with the LT they would have something accomplished as well.

Images

Interesting discussion - of course, I have begun to think that the OP is either a Troll or just someone really half-baked (asking for donations, etc.).

In my opinion, it boils down to lifestyle, smarts, and resourcefulness and I don't think the OP hits the mark.

If one's desire is to be very resourceful, very wilderness oriented, avoiding towns, hostels, restaurants, etc. as much as possible, keep clean on the cheap, and eat lots and lots of pasta sides, ramen noodles, peanut butter, bulk oatmeal, and whatever is found in hiker boxes this sort of thing could (and probably does) get done. I'd say that someone probably manages a thru hike on $1000 or less ever year. Most people spend $4000-$6,000 and I sure that someone spends $20,000.

The $1,000 hiker would have to be a very resourceful and purposeful person - - this would be the type of person that carefully searches yard sales and flea markets for a backpack and makes their own modifications makes their own Ray-Way type Quilt, get's used gear on e-bay, etc. This sort of person might be able to obtain free food and rides (not by begging) but just by being friendly, nice, helpful, etc. This person would be fit and fast - - the shorter time on the trai, the less money would be spent. They would be an accomplished hitch-hiker and not be too afraid to check out the dumpster behind the grocery store for expired food that's still good.

Regardless of what or who the OP is claiming to be, just from the nature of the way the questions are phrased, I don't think this person meets the criteria for someone who could do a $1000 thru-hike because that person would exhibit some real resourcefulness that I don't sense in the OP.

Just remember most folks on here are not young enough to know everything.

...says the new user with 3 posts to his name, each of which were in support of Caitlan.

I'd like to think of it as being pragmatic.
    Is it possible to do this? Yes. Is it probable that she'll do it? No. The number of people who actually make it on a budget like this are few and far between.

This past year Animal did a thru on a very limited budget like this - all his gear was from walmart, he bought tons of cheap food/filled his bucket up when he was in town and was still going strong when I met him in Hanover. That being said, it was still hard for him - he wasn't able to go into town and hang out with other hikers because he was hard up for $$ (case in point, another hiker bought his AYCE that night, and another one bought the beer he drank).

Do we think it's possible to do a $1000 hike? Sure, it's been done before (usually by those with more experience who already have good lightweight gear). Do I think this girl, who is already looking for free gear, handouts and help, who doesn't seem to know what's going on, can complete a $1000 hike? Personally, no. But I've been proven wrong before, so good luck.

The statement "trying to get away from society" in her first post is a red flag. Sounds more like a troubled youth wanting to escape reality than a serious attempt at thru hiking the AT.

But the subject of doing a low budget thru-hike does come up pretty often, typically by younger folks who understandably don't have a lot of money. Of course, you don't have to be young to be poor. It's not uncommon to run into people of all ages on the trail with hardly two nickels to rub together.

It would be interesting to see a break down of trail expenses by state. Well, maybe by state wouldn't be too good since some states are much longer then others. So how about how far does the first $1K get you? How far does the next $1K get you and so on. We know it gets more expensive when you cross the masion-dixon line, but by how much and where does it peak?

Maybe some aspiring MBA student will keep track of all expenses and do some charts. That study could be worth a few collage credits, especially if they could get a few other hikers to input data too. hint hint...
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

A few years ago, in response to a similar question, I came up with a test in the vein of the stuff you see in women's magazines. It went something like this:

Can you do a cheap thru-hike?

1) What sort of car do you drive?
    a) No car. I take the bus or ride a junker bike.
    b) Beater more than 15 years old. Bought it used.
    c) Reliable car, but nothing flashy.
    d) Car my parents gave me.
    e) I like nice wheels, and money is no object.

2) Where do you live?
    a) Hellhole
    b) Small apartment.
    c) Modest single-family home.
    d) I've always lived with my parents, or in a dorm room or apartment they've paid for.
    e) I like to be comfortable, and make a good impression on friends and family.

3) Where did you get your current winter coat?
    a) Cast-off ffreebie
    b) Goodwill shop
    c) Big box store.
    d) From my parents.
    e) Quality clothing is worth the money.

4) When is the last time you went out to eat, and where did you go?
    a) I can't remember that far back in time.
    b) McDonald's dollar menu
    c) Outback or Applebee's.
    d) Wherever my parents took me.
    e) What I put in my body is important, so I'm picky about what I'll accept.

5) Where do you buy groceries?
    a) I scrounge.
    b) Super Wal-Mart
    c) Grocery store with decent selection.
    d) My folks do the shopping.
    e) I only buy organically-grown food.

I think you get the point.

People who always choose A have a chance of doing a cheap thru-hike. Not spending money permeates every decision they make.

B's might be able to pull it off.

C's will probably do a moderately-priced hike, which they prudently save for and execute under budget.

I think the folks who are deluded about their ability to live cheaply are often D's. They haven't been out on their own financially, and don't really have the mental tools for making the choices that will let them stretch their money far enough to finish a hike. They are shocked, shocked I tell you, at how quickly money leaks away.

E's won't scrimp on their hike, but they probably don't need to.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

I like how you put Applebees and Outback on the same line Marta
    "The 20-28 age group is what's wrong with the Trail today. No care for the Trail or others, and they think they deserve things. Except you, because you packed out whiskey to share"

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    It would be interesting to see a break down of trail expenses by state. Well, maybe by state wouldn't be too good since some states are much longer then others. So how about how far does the first $1K get you? How far does the next $1K get you and so on. We know it gets more expensive when you cross the masion-dixon line, but by how much and where does it peak?
    I was in Damascus when I spent dollar 1,000. I spent dollar 2,000 resupplying in Duncannon so I could have made it to Port Clinton/Hamburg before I was out of money. I spent dollar $3,000 resupplying in Hanover which got me to Gorham. And I spent just short of $4,000 before detouring to Boston and NYC on my way home.

Two things stood out to me. I spent a lot early on doing lower mileage and heading into towns more often even though its cheaper in the south. For the hikers on a limited budget, I noticed they spent a lot more than expected by this point replacing cheap or broken gear. They also had usually spent more than planned gettting to the trail.

Secondly, I spent a lot the last few hundred miles. Part of that was making travel arrangements, part was celebrating in Millinocket after finishing and the big outlier was having to take three zeros and pay for the town food at the hostel in Gorham for meals while getting over norovirus. I spent one day feeling really tired, one day fighting it off and one day resting before heading back out thanks to a SOBO couple claiming to be thru-hikers doing work for stay who got sick at the last hut in the Whites
    while I was there

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++