WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

After hiking from Springer to Neels gap this past summer I realized all you need is water, food, toilet paper and handy wipes on the trail. Everything else is bull**** luxuary items.

On a serious note, i to would like to know if you're hiking experience. I am a novice, only hiked 100 total miles on the AT, all in Ga and NC and the longest stretch was that 3.5 day hike from springer to neels. I learned so much from that experience, what I need and don't need, and much of what I packed for that trip was information I got on whiteblaze, much of it was overkill. Still better info than the local REI guy but still some was overkill. Hike your own hike, geather your own decisions based on your own experiences...
    You're not going to live forever
    Find this to be true
    Use your past as a guide
    While you're alive
    Live

I think apologizing in the opening line deserves some credit.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Starting with an apology should not give one a license to behave poorly.

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    And I'll repeat my one-word summary: Whatever.
    (Which probably means much the same as, "don't overthink it.")
    What r u trying to say to me? Don't wishfully think that everyone that starts a thread & shares should be "fair game" for personal attacks or rude comments? Sorry for thinking about/ wishing for that not to be the case. When someone puts their thoughts or opinions out there, I don't immediately think that they are wrong and need to be "set straight". He may have "appeared" to be doing exactly what he was saying one shouldn't do but "whatever". I don't think he needs to be insulted for putting his thoughts out there. I thought someone out there would think it was helpful. I'm not overthinking, am I?

Here comes the defender of all victims...AGAIN.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMomKD View Post
    What r u trying to say to me? Don't wishfully think that everyone that starts a thread & shares should be "fair game" for personal attacks or rude comments? Sorry for thinking about/ wishing for that not to be the case. When someone puts their thoughts or opinions out there, I don't immediately think that they are wrong and need to be "set straight". He may have "appeared" to be doing exactly what he was saying one shouldn't do but "whatever". I don't think he needs to be insulted for putting his thoughts out there. I thought someone out there would think it was helpful. I'm not overthinking, am I?
    No. I'm saying you're right. I'm thinking that anyone who made rude comments should more have said, "Whatever."
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    No. I'm saying you're right. I'm thinking that anyone who made rude comments should more have said, "Whatever."
    Well yeah, that's what I said to myself and saw his post as helpful. Sorry I misunderstood what you were saying to me, Another Kevin.

Winged Monkey... The OP's not a "victim" and I'm not a defender. It's all about personal interactions on a web site. It happens. I think our site needs to be GREAT, as Hairbear tried to remind us to be. We've got a great site but when things like what just happened on this thread--- Well, it doesn't make everyone feel real comfortable in sharing. I wonder what the "newbies" are thinking right about now.....They will get used to it, I'm sure & aren't terribly surprised but it doesn't need to be this way at all.

It's all about personal interactions on a web site.
    My bad, I though it was about hiking.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Images

I wonder what the "newbies" are thinking right about now.....
    Well... I was thinking, "Wow. That's a massive amount of words that completely contradicts the 'Hike your own hike' that's tossed in at the end." And... "Wow. How puffed-up to decide to hang out your own shingle instead of enriching all the already existing threads with your thru-hiking experience."

But... whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Karma13 View Post

But... whatever.
    Good choice of words.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    My bad, I though it was about hiking.
    You are partly right. It's about PEOPLE talking about hiking. I don't know what a web site, that was about hiking -talking about people, would look like.

Quote Originally Posted by Karma13 View Post
    Well... I was thinking, "Wow. That's a massive amount of words that completely contradicts the 'Hike your own hike' that's tossed in at the end." And... "Wow. How puffed-up to decide to hang out your own shingle instead of enriching all the already existing threads with your thru-hiking experience."

But... whatever.
    I like- whatever. I like- it is what it is, as well. I respect your opinion. I think we are coming from a different place.

Images

You are partly right. It's about PEOPLE talking about hiking. I don't know what a web site, that was about hiking -talking about people, would look like.

I like- whatever. I like- it is what it is, as well. I respect your opinion. I think we are coming from a different place.
    HM- I am totally amazed at how some folks will take something out of context, create an "issue", and go out of their way to expand their thoughts, which more than likely are not even remotely relevant to the original post. How does that happen, or more importantly, why does that happen, especially when the initial intent was only to post something that may have been helpful or beneficial? I think the end result only manifests a reluctance for someone contemplating to post anything, for fear it may be torn apart, scrutinized, criticized, and ridiculed. That makes no sense to me at all. I regret not being more careful myself, and never thought I would be put in a defensive mode, but aptly put, it is what it is. Thanks for understanding.

Sure thing- goedde2... It's the nature of this kind of dialogue, stir that up with "personalities" and the stage is set. That's not meant for a "dig" to anyone on this site-- it is what it is. You are not the first & unfortunately won't be the last. Once the "train" starts rollin, there's no stopping that train. I understand.
    Chin up & lessons learned.......hope to see you around.

Quote Originally Posted by goedde2 View Post
    HM- I am totally amazed at how some folks will take something out of context, create an "issue", and go out of their way to expand their thoughts, which more than likely are not even remotely relevant to the original post. How does that happen, or more importantly, why does that happen, especially when the initial intent was only to post something that may have been helpful or beneficial? I think the end result only manifests a reluctance for someone contemplating to post anything, for fear it may be torn apart, scrutinized, criticized, and ridiculed. That makes no sense to me at all. I regret not being more careful myself, and never thought I would be put in a defensive mode, but aptly put, it is what it is. Thanks for understanding.
    Goedde2...I became curious enough to read at least a portion of your post to try and understand why you've been "jumped on". It appears to me that you have gotten the reponse you expected, you may want to go back and re-read your own post.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Bear View Post
    After hiking from Springer to Neels gap this past summer I realized all you need is water, food, toilet paper and handy wipes on the trail. Everything else is bull**** luxuary items.

On a serious note, i to would like to know if you're hiking experience. I am a novice, only hiked 100 total miles on the AT, all in Ga and NC and the longest stretch was that 3.5 day hike from springer to neels. I learned so much from that experience, what I need and don't need, and much of what I packed for that trip was information I got on whiteblaze, much of it was overkill. Still better info than the local REI guy but still some was overkill. Hike your own hike, geather your own decisions based on your own experiences...
    Ding, ding, ding... We have a winner! Take a hike, you'll figure it out for yourself... It's not rocket science, and there's no right or wrong way to walk. As far as experience, I've been doing it since I recovered from the circumcision 47 years ago.
    Biggie

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    Goedde2...I became curious enough to read at least a portion of your post to try and understand why you've been "jumped on". It appears to me that you have gotten the reponse you expected, you may want to go back and re-read your own post.
    YOU may want to go back and re-read the entire post. You are a prime example of someone who has "jumped" on the crusade. What is your motivation to make the assumption I was expecting any sort of response whatsoever. I just posted what a lot of folks actually interpreted as helpful information. That is what surprised me initially, because I had no expectations at all. It was just a post. What I did not expect was the outpouring of personal attacks from those who abuse a public site and contribute nothing relevant to the site and don't recognize the importance of why the site even exists. It gets even more interesting when they take another post directed to another individual and make the assumption it is their own. We all know what assume means broken down. That would be you.

Quote Originally Posted by goedde2 View Post
    YOU may want to go back and re-read the entire post. You are a prime example of someone who has "jumped" on the crusade. What is your motivation to make the assumption I was expecting any sort of response whatsoever. I just posted what a lot of folks actually interpreted as helpful information. That is what surprised me initially, because I had no expectations at all. It was just a post. What I did not expect was the outpouring of personal attacks from those who abuse a public site and contribute nothing relevant to the site and don't recognize the importance of why the site even exists. It gets even more interesting when they take another post directed to another individual and make the assumption it is their own. We all know what assume means broken down. That would be you.
    goedde2, Appreciate your thread.

Ding Ding.... you hit on something important right there, goedde2, when you said- "don't recognize the importance of why the site even exists". IMHO- this site exists for the purpose of people sharing information that others could find helpful, under the huge umbrella on the subject of hiking, just to simplify. I try NOT to overthink the PERSON behind the posts as far as motivation, purpose or real intention of their post. It is what it is.. right?

If someone comes to this website and shares something that seems bizarre, then, what good does it do to personally attack the PERSON, right away. Why put them on the defense so that you loose all possible chances of helping the person think differently? I don't get it. Then, the site becomes more about people "jumping on" people, making them feel uncomfortable sharing any thoughts or information. That's not why the site exists IMHO. No one should feel uncomfortable or have to spend their time "defending" themselves.

Now, someone might call me "preachy".... gotta love it. Sorry- I'm done, now!

Trolling and attacking people on all the forums for numerous hobbies is a common theme that I always thought was caused by the younger generation. I always thought that its their culture on how they get attention on the internet. They think they are cool and popular for the attention it gives them. They even praise each other for it. But, Ive concluded that kind of mentality isn't just young people.

Some people dont understand that a joke is signafied by a smiley face or the letters LOL at the end of a sentance followed up by cander or being silly helps.

Chill. Be nice. Hike. Enjoy life. Strive to be a better person.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++