WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Sawyer water filters

There didn't seem to be a "gear" board so placing this here: Has anyone tried the Sawyer Squeeze filter system and its in-line system for hydration bags? I'm thinking of getting one since I saw the Propsters from Backpacker mag's Get Out More team talk about them at a seminar a few months back. Right now I use a Katadyn Hiker Pro / steripen but if the Sawyer works as good as I hope it does I might ditch the Katadyn to dramatically cut weight in my weekend bag.

http://www.sawyer.com/sawyersaves/products-squeeze.html

Images

Search around on here, lots of threads on this system. I've used it extensively and give two thumbs up. The only negative is that at some water sources, the squeeze bag is hard to fill. Lots of fixes for that as well. The SS will be my filter on this (I almost said "next" !) year's AT attempt.

I've used a Sawyer Squeeze, and really like it. As stated by many here, the Sawyer water bladders that come with the SS have a durability issue, they tend to wear out/tear over time on the trail. If you can find them, the Evernew flexible water bottles are the best to use with the Squeeze, the threads match and they have better durability on the trail. But they are hard to find, everybody is sold out.

I use Aqua Mira for 90% of my AT hiking, but the Sawyer Squeeze is great for areas where your water sources tend to have more sediment/silt or tannic discoloration, which you see along certain sections of the trail. I like the Squeeze, and thinking of taking it on my next AT hike for that reason.

I own a 2 bag 2 Liter in line gravity system from Sawyer. I havent really used it besides a initial test. In theory though I think it will be really handy. I'm planing on doing my Thru Hike this year.

Images

Great filter. Don't let it freeze, even a little. They are not very forgiving to ice inside. I would rather not talk about how I know.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

There's no telling where this thread is going once the old goats over at the cafe see it.

I have been wondering about these myself. I would be interested on replacing my MSR with this to cut a ton of weight.

Images

Love my in-line. I keep it and a "dirty" water bag in a side pocket with some coffee filters. I use a $9 2L Walmart hydration bladder as my dirty water bag. It has a automatic shutoff when the hose is unplugged. Go to creek, fill bag. If water has crud floating in it, use coffee filter in opening. Put cap on, go back to pack. Hang dirty bag from tree, set on rock, etc. Pull bite valve off camelback hose on backpack. Have filter handy (in pocket works good, or on pack, somewhere you can grab it). Plug hose into dirty water bag, let drain for a few seconds until all air is out of hose. Put finger over end. Grab filter, plug hose in. Wait until out flow is good. Plug filter into camelback drinking hose. Let drain. Repack everything when done. I know you could just cut the camelback line, and use it as a true inline filter, but then you have to take the damn thing out of the pack and shove it back in each time. I like filling mine from the drinking hose.
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

I use mine right on the drinking tube from my hydration bladder. I keep my bladder in an outside pocket. All I have to do is undo my bladder from the drinking tube, fill the bladder, reconnect and put back in side pocket.

If anybody is interested, the Evernew bags are available, at least they were two days ago, at Traildesigns.com

Quote Originally Posted by Omaha_Ace View Post
    There didn't seem to be a "gear" board so placing this here: Has anyone tried the Sawyer Squeeze filter system and its in-line system for hydration bags? I'm thinking of getting one since I saw the Propsters from Backpacker mag's Get Out More team talk about them at a seminar a few months back. Right now I use a Katadyn Hiker Pro / steripen but if the Sawyer works as good as I hope it does I might ditch the Katadyn to dramatically cut weight in my weekend bag.

http://www.sawyer.com/sawyersaves/products-squeeze.html
    I used the Sawyer 3-way for my thru hike, inline for part of my hike and as a gravity filter for the rest. I really liked the inline setup and as long as you don't mind pulling your hydration bag out of your pack whenever you need water I expect that you'll like using the Sawyer Squeeze the same way.

++ New Posts ++