WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Hennessey in June ?

I am starting my hike June 1st,going from Springer to Harper's Ferry.I just bought a Hennessey expedition.My question since I have never hammock hiked,is do I need to bring a sleeping bag and or a pad for hammock hiking on the A.T in June ? Any answers would be a huge help.

Journal Entries

I would take something lite. A cold rain could make you wish you had it.
    DeerPath

LIFE'S JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE GRAVE SAFELY
    IN A WELL PRESERVED BODY,
    BUT RATHER SKID IN SIDEWAYS, TOTALLY WORN OUT,
    SHOUTING "HOLY CRAP....WHAT A RIDE!"

On average, most folks get chilly when outside temp drops below 70. I bring top and bottom insulation even in the summer. My personal choice is both an under quilt and a top quilt, although a pad under will definitely do for insulating from below. I'd recommend insulation on top also.

I'd definitely recommend testing out your set up before hiking any great distance away from home.

I also have a Hennessey (backpacker asym), and I use a blue cut-down closed-cell foam pad with a sleeping bag. Even if temps are warm, the pad blocks drafts, and the sleeping bag can be unzipped and used as a quilt. Definitely test your setup first for comfort. I'm a cold sleeper; you may not be.

Images

We started in the first week of June at Springer in 2003. We were also using Hennessy Hammocks. We had frost on the hammocks the first two nights, and it was well below 50 every night for the two weeks of our hike.

So, yeah, even in the summer I definitely bring a bag or quilt, and some sort of bottom insulation. For me, a 3/4 length Ridgerest works fine inside the hammock, and I just bring my 3-season down bag and use it as a quilt.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

aka Kudzu
    Images

I concur with the cranky one. I almost always use some sort of insulation. The only caveat to that is if I'm hanging in the summer in Florida (rare) when it's still in the 80s at night.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Images

Of course now that I say that it'll be 85 at night for the poor guy. Had that a few years ago in Shenandoah - a freak heatwave in late June and it never got below 80 at night. Miserable.

But it's better to be prepared for the expected conditions, and it does get cool at night even in the summer in the Southern Appalachians.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

I thank everybody for the great advice.I will definitely pack a count on a pad and a summer bag.

Quote Originally Posted by tiptoe View Post
    I also have a Hennessey (backpacker asym), and I use a blue cut-down closed-cell foam pad with a sleeping bag. Even if temps are warm, the pad blocks drafts...
    And flying, stinging things from biting your butt!

This August, I was hanging in MA, and I was too hot for my UQ so I pushed it aside. I woke up with many mosquito stings on my hip (side sleeper)

aka Kudzu
    Images

Permethrin is awesome for keeping skeeters, ticks, and chiggers at bay.

Sent from my SkyRaider Thunderbolt.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Make sure that the pad wraps around your sides. Once the temp dropped below 60F, I found that I kept waking up every time my sleeping bag-encased knee our shoulder pressed up against the side of the hammock, developing a cold spot. A wide 1/8" closed cell pad (40" wide?) solved the problem, but I'd probably look at the SPE "wing" design to reduce volume.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Ive got an underquilt and a topquilt and they dont weigh any more than a pad and a sleeping bag.The underquilt will protect from the sides of your hammock getting cold.If it get a little warm you can push it off to the side without getting out of the hammock.A nice way to go if you can afford it.
    I walk up hills,and then walk down

Images

I have section hiked the AT the last 2 years in June and July using an old (2003) Hennessy Expedition A-Sym. I use a 3/4 Thermarest and a very light synthetic mummy summer bag as a top quilt. I spray the hammock with permethrin to keep away the bugs. I've always been comfortable in the summer with this set up.

++ New Posts ++