WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Recommendations for blogging/journaling for thru hike

There are several communication platforms for blogging/journalling and I'd like to know from thru hikers who have done it which is the easiest/best to use. I see some used trailjournals.com, others Facebook, Wordpress, Tumblr, etc. Some do it from their phones (my preference), others from a library along/off the trail.

I'd like to hear about your experiences, pros/cons of a particular communication platform, and recommendations.

Thanks!

"I will lift up my eyes to the mountains;
    From where shall my help come?
    My help comes from the LORD,
    Who made heaven and earth."
    -Psalm 121:1-2

Images

I write my journals each evening using the notepad app on my iPhone. When I'm in town and have WIFI or have 3G from the trail, I can cut and past this into trailjournals. I find the Safari browser is easy enough to use with the standard trailjournals application. YMMV.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

You know, you could always use the good old pen and paper. After all, part of thru hiking is to not be plugged in to the internet every day...

I used tumblr on my droid. Did the similar, wrote an "email draft" and when in town or with 3G posted it along with pictures. My battery sucked so I typically would write with pen and paper and then typed it up when I had down time. There were specific things about my trip I wrote on paper that I will not share. and times when I went weeks without a post. I hiked for me. Just wanted to share some of my experiences.

Also with tumblr, I was able to post to tumblr and it would auto post on fb as well.

Images

My favorite, too. The old reliable analog word processor.

I feel like I'm turning into a shill for postholer, but since it hasn't been mentioned yet on this particular thread --- postholer.com has worked well for me, typing up entries on a smartphone and uploading them from the phone sometimes on-trail and sometimes in trail towns. Have a look at the features on postholer.com
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

Quote Originally Posted by Kc Fiedler View Post
    You know, you could always use the good old pen and paper. After all, part of thru hiking is to not be plugged in to the internet every day...
    Yes, that's true. And I plan to bring those for my own personal thoughts and reflections. However, friends and family will be following me and I want to be able to provide them with short updates of where I am on the trail and some of my experiences.

"I will lift up my eyes to the mountains;
    From where shall my help come?
    My help comes from the LORD,
    Who made heaven and earth."
    -Psalm 121:1-2

++ New Posts ++