WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Journal Entries

Default Hennessy hammock?!

What are your thoughts on the Hennessy hammock? I think that is what I have decided to use while thru hiking the AT...unless someone convinces me not to

I use a Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 dbl. for my hiking needs. I also have the HH and find it too small for me. The tarp is minimal but I do like that it's all together. At the same time that's what I don't like about it.

If you've been hanging for a while then you probably know what you like. If you're new to hammocks I highly recommend checking out Shug on YouTube and hammockforums.net.

Definitely a +1 on hanging for a thru of the AT. I followed Loner this year who completed it in a hammock.

Images

any hammock will work. check different ones out. i used HH explorer UL. i have 5 and have owner Warbonnet hammocks, but the HH is my go-to for long distance.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Personally I'd rather put together my own hammock rig, rather than use an 'all in one' solution... So that's what I did. I haven't tried a HH, so I can't say anything about that specific system, but I just can't imagine I couldn't put together something I liked better for cheaper by parting it out.

Definitely check out Shug's videos on Youtube, here's the first one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7NZVqpBUV0

Images

I have a Hennessy; it's a nice hammock. I actually prefer the bottom entry and I like the sewn in bug netting. The tarp that came with mine back in 2003 was not large enough, so I replaced it with an aftermarket tarp from Maccat. My hiking partner bought one recently and it had a larger tarp.

A couple of thoughts:

1. Staying warm. When the night time temps drop below 70 or 75F, I get cold from the bottom, so I always need some sort of bottom insulation (your sleeping bag doesn't work for this.) In the summer I use a 3/4 length closed cell foam pad under my toro, and that works fine. I've used a full length wide CCF pad down into the 20s (a Ridgerest XL 25x77), but these days I don't hammock in very cold weather. Many hammockers use an underquilt, which is much easier and more comfortable than a CCF pad, but more expensive.

2. Staying dry. I prefer to separate my tarp from the hammock itself, and pitch it first -- the Hennessy comes with the tarp attached to the hammock body, so you'll need some separate rigging. By pitching the tarp first, I get a dry place to get out of the rain, and keep my hammock dry while setting up and tearing down. I can also keep the wet tarp in an outside pocket of my pack and the dry hammock inside.

3. Rigging. Use the tree hugger straps, please. Many hammockers swap out the Hennessy rigging for something easier and faster to use. I bought some 1-inch seat belt webbing and a pair of tri-glides, and use them with some 'biners in place of the Hennessy system, so I'm not messing with two separate items on each end of the hammock. Others like the Whoopie Slings which are much lighter. You can get more info at BIAS.

4. Other stuff. I like having my hammock in a snake skin, so I can skin it up under my tarp for more room to pack or eat a meal if it's raining. I bring a small square of plastic for a ground sheet under my feet, and leave my shoes and my pack on it under my tarp where they stay dry. I've also rigged my pack's rain cover as a gear hammock, hanging under my main hammock from the same suspension. Don't forget to sleep on the diagonal in the Hennessy - it's much more comfortable. Also, practice at home -- getting it rigged just right takes some time the first few times you do it. I like to hang the head end just a few inches lower than the foot end, mostly so I don't jam my feet in the bottom of the hammock at night, but also because it's possible to um, fall out through the slot of the Hennessy if you're not careful. (Please don't ask me how I know this. )

Hammocking is great - it keeps you off the wet ground, protected from even very bad storms, snug and warm inside your little burrow.

Good luck. Happy trails.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I like my Hennessey, but I prefer my Blackbird. If I really wanted to shave ounces, the Hennessey would help, and I'd be perfectly happy. I would use a larger, independently hung tarp, rather than the stock tarp, for more living room.

They are quality hammocks. I've got a basic one with the zipper. It's a little on the heavy side. The tarp is big enough to keep you dry while sleeping, but not much more than that - in a decent downpour, anything under you won't stay dry either.

The supplied tree huggers are a little on the short side if you were to camp out west - I've had to change trees due to tree diameter before I bought new straps (my new ones are 1.5" webbing x 15' long).

The stock suspension leaves a lot to be desired.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    What are your thoughts on the Hennessy hammock? I think that is what I have decided to use while thru hiking the AT...unless someone convinces me not to
    Hi Brooke,
    I have a Hennessy Hammock I purchased June 2012, and it is a very comfortable sleep. I was concerned about finding a place hang on ridges and upper elevations and decided to go with a tent.
    If you decide to go with a Hennessy I will sell you mine: Hennessy Exployer Delux Asym Classic, MOD #4 by 2QZQ for right and left triple zippers,
    Hennessy Hex Rain Fly 30D Silnylon, modified by 2QZQ with doors and pole pockets,
    Hennessy Super Shelter #2 insulation.
    Total Value $568.00, yours for $250.00.
    PM me if you or anyone else would like to purchase it.
    DeerPath

LIFE'S JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE GRAVE SAFELY
    IN A WELL PRESERVED BODY,
    BUT RATHER SKID IN SIDEWAYS, TOTALLY WORN OUT,
    SHOUTING "HOLY CRAP....WHAT A RIDE!"

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    Hi Brooke! Welcome to White Blaze. I have a Hennessy and like Big Cranky, switched out the to small tarp to a mac cat. Don't know if you've purchased one yet, but if you'd like to check mine out, e-mail me at [email protected]
    Trillium

I bought a Hennessy and after using it just once in the cold, I'm having it modified to be a side entry, and stitched my under quilt together at the bottom entrance. It was cold at the bottom entry, although that might have been my quilt design. Other than that, it's comfy. I didn't need a pillow, although I stuffed a small piece of clothing under my neck.
    Quilteresq
    2013, hopefully.

I just completed my SOBO Thru in 2012. I carried my 5 year old Hennessy. Without question change the tarp to a larger one. I never did, but wish I had. I slept in it 70% of the time. Slept in it in 20 degree or below many times with high winds with just a full length Thermarest. It was not super awesome in the hammock but kept my back warm, and was able to sleep in the shelters when I wanted comfortably. I thought I would hammock every night when I started, 5 days in I was so beat in Maine one night rolling into camp at 930pm I just crashed in the shelter. All hangers will tell you their hammock is best. Each has its advantages. I was told by many NOBO's that Hennessy had everything half off at trail days in 2012. Keep that in mind.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by R1ma View Post
    The stock suspension leaves a lot to be desired.
    I thought so, too, until I saw how to tie a buntline hitch instead of the Hennesy wrap. A simple line&hugger suspension works just fine. Checkout the Warbonent site to see how he hangs with just a simple knot.

I've section hiked for 5 years using a hammock, last 3 with a Hennesy. This fall i had a side zipper put on it and got an under quilt. It is sure is nice, i've not had morning stiffness when using a hammock.

aka Kudzu
    Images

Brooke, I'm curious how you settled on the Hennessy.

I, like many, started with a Hennessy. I used it quite a bit but now it sits in the storage box as a loaner. I realized the bottom-entry stinks in the winter and the permanent netting stinks in the summer. Sure, I could mod it (and 2QZQ does a great job) but why do that when I can build a more flexible system that suits me better? Then again I might have a bit of an addictive tendency since I've got my 9th hammock on order.

One thing I like about other hammocks is the material. Now I find the Hennessy material too rough. The ripstop on my Wilderness Logics Lite Owl is downright luxurious. I know many swear by the Blackbird but I just didn't care for it. And this is where you need to realize that experimentation is crucial. What's best for me probably isn't what's best for you. We're all different sizes and shapes, sleep differently, etc.

Check out hammockforums.net and see if there are any hangs in your area. We have our 3rd Annual Florida Hang coming up over MLK weekend and will have over 100 people in attendance. Something like that is a great opportunity to try different hammocks and put eyes on the numerous tarp and insulation options.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

I started out with a Hennessy hammock in 2001 and completed my 2004 thru hike with it. At the time, it was more or less the only thing available for backpackers. Since then I've purchased Mosquito hammock, ENO DN, WBBB, Clark and now a Dream DangerBird. All of them are more comfortable than a Hennessy hammock, but some people would have a different opinion.

Hey Brooke. The Henny hammocks are high quality but on the heavy side. For long distance hiking I would choose the lightest full featured hammock available. At this point in time I believe Dream Hammocks Darien UL fits that ticket nicely. It's ready to hang at just over 13oz, including built in bug netting and suspension. If you are a thru hiker starting in the colder months you can add an independent weather sock and send it home after it warms up.

I used his Dangerbird with the built in weathershield but plan on buying the Darien UL when I return to the AT this Spring. I like the idea of an independent weather-shield so you don't have to carry it when it's not needed. You can devise lighter rigs but not with all the features built in. BTW...his craftsmanship is of the highest caliber.

Here's the link. http://www.dream-hammock.com/

Good luck with your choice, Cat in the Hat

You never have to worry about finding a flat area to park your tent because there is always 2 trees, you can get ready in a downpour under the rainfly, you can use a small umbrella on the inside of your hammock and sleep in a shelter with complete comfort from bugs, the snake skins make breaking down camp a quick, quick cinch and it is a really handy campy chair. I really don't understand why people sleep in a tent ~~~~~

Hammock Hanger & Backpacker WalksInDark's Avatar

When I decided to try hammock camping...I went to Trail Days (Damascus, VA) and promptly bought a Hennessey. As a hammock newbie I appreciated the fact that the Hennessey came as a full system with everything included. (It also helped that they were selling them for half price at Trail Days.)

Within the first year or so I decided that the bottom entry system had to go (I lost an expensive hearing aid out of the bottom slit while making a nocturnal pit stop.
    ); the standard tarp was too small; the "locked in place" bug netting was too restrictive....etc.

By way of workarounds, I have paid to have so many modifications made to my stock hammock...that I could have had a custom-made hammock (or two ) instead.

If I knew then what I now know I would recommend the following: go to whichever hammock hang is closest to you (go here to find organized hammock hangs: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/f...lay.php?f=44); let folks know you are coming to try out different hammocks ---folks will frequently bring extra hammocks and gear so that newbies can "test drive them"---and then lie/sleep in as many different kinds of hammocks as possible.

Once you have been to a 'hang or two, you hopefully will have made some friends and maybe they will be willing to take you on a couple of short weekend hangs to try out the various gear.

WARNING: Hammocks and Hammock gear is addictive! For most of us who have been with the sport for awhile, the urge to try and buy new gear never ends...so be prepared to buy stuff...that you shortly will end up selling to buy new stuff.
    You May Be S l o w...But You Are Ahead Of Me!

Images

i use an ENO doublenest along with a kelty noah 9, and a standard blue foam pad. and if you know how to mimic the tarp how you want, you can have a nice small fire within your confines w/out worrying about it burning/melting anything. thats how i like to hang.

I really like my Hennessey but I haven't tried others. The bottom entry works welll for me, and I don't find it a problem to get into my sleeping bag. I do use a larger tarp than the original (a Jacks r Better 9x9) and I've stayed dry through some serious downpours.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++