WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I love maps and I'm a big advocate of decent topographical maps for all hikes, both for safety and for the full experience, but for a loooooong trail like the AT they add a bit of a logistical conundrum. Not exactly a green solution either, as it is sold now. It should be easier to buy small sections as you go, or maybe sell the entire thing as a roll of toilet paper.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    Maps are also a low key way of getting funding for AT maintenance. Contrary to popular belief the federal governement doesnt pay for all the maintenance, the white blazes that folks plan to folow are mostly painted by volunteers outside of National Parks and some National forests.

In Maine and NH, if you do get in trouble and need to find a way off trail, a map is essential as a wrong choice may cause you to go 30 or 40 miles before you hit "civilization". On a foggy or nasty day in the whites its easy to get tunred around and more than a few folks have managed to end up heading south when they wanted to head north at a confusing intersection.
    This is an excellent point - - Maine and the Whites are a convenient place to have a map - in NH the AT follows a handful of other trails as it winds its way over the big mountains - - the white blazes are also not as easy to follow as elsewhere - - the white blazes are more prominent in ME but it is true that you could get turned around for a long time by following the wrong blue blaze - - this seems unlikely but, sure, go ahead and carry section maps in ME and NH - - - you also make a good point about maintenance support - - I do own all the maps (or at least 90% of them) and find that they are a lot of fun - - the elevation profiles are especially fun to follow and looking at maps at home is a great way to plan a section hike. That said, I would still recommend against an aspiring thru-hiker purchasing a whole AT map set for use in hiking the trail unless they just want to for fun or to support the ATC because you don't need them to follow most of the AT.

Images

My old map sets are 12-13 years old, and have been loaned out over the years to the point I have no idea what I'm missing. Was considering getting the Pocket Profiles maps that AWOL sells packaged with his guidebook. Does anyone have any experience with these?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Mike View Post
    Many hikers complain about the White Mountains. Many trails predate the AT so they are called by their own name.
    You can count me among those who "complain" about that.

Quote Originally Posted by map man View Post
    Maps are beautiful things in and of themselves. Unfolding a map is a pleasant, tactile experience. Contemplating all the lines and colors on a map is aesthetically pleasing, to say the least.

And, yeah, they help you figure out where you are, where you've been, and where you're going. There is that too.
    Absolutely agree. They're almost as good for leisure time as a book. Also, funny how hikers who choose not to carry maps often ask to "look at" mine along the trail, at shelters, etc. But having said that, I'm happy to lend them to fellow hikers, who (I imagine) would do the same for me if I needed something else.

I do think failure to carry maps should be one of the considerations in whether or not to charge for a rescue.

Rain Man

Last edited by Rain Man; 12-31-2012 at 22:30.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

On my clueless weekends, I have been known not to go not only blue-blazing, but also no-blazing. If you're hiking off maintained trails, a good map, a good compass, a watch and the skills to use them are essential. So out of habit I bring maps even on well-marked and busy trails.

I can imagine that would be a logistical problem if I were going hundreds of miles. So I have no advice to offer thru-hikers.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Journal Entries

Only if you think you might need to take a side trail, and know where it goes. Or know how to get to towns, or where they are in relation to you. You can study this ahead of time for sections too.

You are unlikely to go bushwacking off of the AT though.

As far for being ON the AT. No map is needed. Possibly excepting NH where there are many intersecting trails and the AT has dual names. People take wrong trails there even with maps.

For most of it, it is as Bill Bryson put it: " If you can follow a 4 lane super highway, you can follow the AT. Its the only thing in the woods, thats not woods." Or something to that effect.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 01-01-2013 at 14:42.

David Millers' Guide (AWOL's AT Guide) is the only guide you need. I used it exclusively during my 2010 thru-hike. I had hiked the AT before back in 1977 & again, in 1982. I used the ATC Guides and maps. Many of the guides, and especially the maps in Virginia and Pennsylvania were poor and not worth the paper they were printed on. I saw much of the same when I planned for my 2010 hike. Millers' book is clear, concise and extremely accurate. The profiles, alone, are worth more than the price of the book. I used the profiles to determine my daily mileage. The profiles told me if I were going to have an "easy" 20 mile day or a difficult time of it. Quite simply....AWOL's Guide is the best--bar none.

look on blissfulls blog, and you will find out better , she makes a valid point, I will carry maps.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    You can count me among those who "complain" about that.

Absolutely agree. They're almost as good for leisure time as a book. Also, funny how hikers who choose not to carry maps often ask to "look at" mine along the trail, at shelters, etc. But having said that, I'm happy to lend them to fellow hikers, who (I imagine) would do the same for me if I needed something else.

I do think failure to carry maps should be one of the considerations in whether or not to charge for a rescue.

Rain Man

i ve carried maps and passed them on to a nobo as i finshed the section and had no use for it anymore. the 2 guys i gave maps to last year seemed extremely appreciative, so i guess having a map does have some merit.

Maps are not necessary and most don't carry 'em. I had no problem through the Whites but you need to pay attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Quadzilla View Post
    David Millers' Guide (AWOL's AT Guide) is the only guide you need. I used it exclusively during my 2010 thru-hike.
    The profiles, alone, are worth more than the price of the book. I used the profiles to determine my daily mileage. The profiles told me if I were going to have an "easy" 20 mile day or a difficult time of it. Quite simply....AWOL's Guide is the best--bar none.
    Are you saying there are profiles IN the AWOL guide, or do you mean the separately purchased set of profile maps?

Quote Originally Posted by Tumbleweed1 View Post
    Are you saying there are profiles IN the AWOL guide, or do you mean the separately purchased set of profile maps?
    Each page in AWOL's book has the profiles on them.

Mapdana makes a specific set of strip maps. AWOL sells them as well: http://www.shop.theatguide.com/Pocke...or-AT-PPFS.htm
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Garlic put it best: If you have to ask if you should carry maps or not, you probably should.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

I didn't take a map a few years ago on a trail that ive been down a dozen times. However that particular time the DNR closed the road and trail. Had to go around to another trailhead which i had not hike before, I hadn't planned on the terrain and mileage, and had a heck of a weekend.

knowing me, the one time i leave it, is when i need it. Ill take the wieght in lieu of safety.

I used AWOL's guide on my 2011 AT hike and carried no maps. When I was in Maine and hurricane Irene came through, I sure wish I'd had a set of maps to help locate walk-arounds for the steams and rivers that became impossible to ford due to the high water level. If I were to thru-hike again I'd use only the guide until I got to Maine, when I'd make sure I had a set of maps as well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++