WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default JMT Class of 2013 - Who's going?

With the new year upon us I figured I'd start a new thread.

I am planning to do a thru hike on the JMT in 2013. I am still undecided on the date though. I will be fully retired at the end of June and will be itching to go the beginning of July, but I guess it will depend on what the snow pack is like and how worried I decide I am about mosquitoes. Depending on those factors I'll either go early July or Mid August.

Images

End of June through mid-July for me. Make up for aborted 2012 JMT hike.

evenflow

Default jmt 2013

Me too! I'm watching snow pack and have all permit info ready. Hoping to go in first of July too. Whoo Hoo.!!!

Let me jump in here, onegreywolf here, I will be hiking the JMT hopefully starting on July 12, 2013 with two others and plan to finish on or before July 31, 2013.
    Did the AT in 2011 and need a new challenge. Would be great to see you all on the trail. Still planning the food drops.
    Have sent my permit application and hope to hear soon.

I'll either be doing the JMT or the CT this summer, probably near the end of July. However, I don't know the exact dates I can hike until a month or two beforehand, making it difficult to get any permits. I'll be the guy showing up at 5 in the morning at the ranger's office to snag a permit the day of.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by staehpj1 View Post
    With the new year upon us I figured I'd start a new thread.

I am planning to do a thru hike on the JMT in 2013. I am still undecided on the date though. I will be fully retired at the end of June and will be itching to go the beginning of July, but I guess it will depend on what the snow pack is like and how worried I decide I am about mosquitoes. Depending on those factors I'll either go early July or Mid August.
    If you don't like the blood suckers I would reco an early september trip. Crowds down, temps perfect, no snow and no mossies.

May have to head back to JMT this year. I used to BP the Sierra many times a year but haven't been there in over a year. I need a fix.

Images

I'm going to section hike JMT for about 7-10 days in mid September. I'd love to do more, but can't spare the time this year.

Images

Tentative plan-Start Aug 1, 2013--I am concerened abut the snow pack in the high mountains--Anyone using meds for Acute Mountain Sickness??????????? I get it really bad......

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 1Greywolf View Post
    Application for which trailhead? Yosemite permit applications can be sent by fax 168 days before the start date. It's too soon for July 12, 2013. Inyo permits for the other end of the trail can be obtained online on recreation.gov six months before start date. Again, too soon for July 12, 2013.

Images

I obtained my permit for Cottonwood Lakes start for June 30th today on recreation.gov. I will submit my permit application for a Yosemite start when I am eligible to do so next Friday after 5:00 Pacific Time. While I prefer a Yosemite start, I have no issue with starting on the other end. I prefer to hedge my bet by having the easier permit in my back pocket and not agonizing over whether or not I obtain the desired Yosemite Happy Isles permit.

Quote Originally Posted by wcgornto View Post
    End of June through mid-July for me. Make up for aborted 2012 JMT hike.
    I've actually had 2 aborted would-be thruhikes, resulting in my getting as far as the Woods Creek bridge. So this year, hope to start at Sequoia NP, hike up the side trail to Woods Creek, and finally finish the last 52 miles.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    I've actually had 2 aborted would-be thruhikes, resulting in my getting as far as the Woods Creek bridge. So this year, hope to start at Sequoia NP, hike up the side trail to Woods Creek, and finally finish the last 52 miles.
    Last year, I didn't have to quit my hike along the way. I quit the hike before it began because my Mother fell and broke her hip. thus, I ended up with a different focus for that period of time.

My girlfriend and l will be starting the trail from Happy Isles - Yosemite on May 30 thru June 20. Just got the permit confirmation today. Looking forward to some snow. Anyone know a good reliable site to check out current snow pack in the Sierras?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by i_Hike View Post
    Looking forward to some snow. Anyone know a good reliable site to check out current snow pack in the Sierras?
    http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/p...s/PLOT_SWC.pdf

Wcgornto - thanks, perfect site. Now if only we could duplicate last years totals, then maybe I could ditch the ice ax and crampons

Images

I obtained my permit for Cottonwood Lakes start for June 30th today on recreation.gov. I will submit my permit application for a Yosemite start when I am eligible to do so next Friday after 5:00 Pacific Time. While I prefer a Yosemite start, I have no issue with starting on the other end. I prefer to hedge my bet by having the easier permit in my back pocket and not agonizing over whether or not I obtain the desired Yosemite Happy Isles permit.

Yosemite permit application for June 30 start going in at the end of today. 1) HI pass through 2) HI to LYV 3) Sunrise Lakes. Fingers crossed. Again, due to above strategy, I will not lose any sleep over it.

Let me jump in here, onegreywolf here, I will be hiking the JMT hopefully starting on July 12, 2013 with two others and plan to finish on or before July 31, 2013.
    Did the AT in 2011 and need a new challenge. Would be great to see you all on the trail. Still planning the food drops.
    I plan to start within a day or two of you. Is there a new permit process that I'm not aware of? I didn't think you could send your permit for that date yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigglesworth View Post
    I plan to start within a day or two of you. Is there a new permit process that I'm not aware of? I didn't think you could send your permit for that date yet?
    For JMT hikes starting in Yosemite, the permit reservation may be made 24 weeks or 168 days in advance. Of course it's advisable to send (fax) it in on that first available day. For a July 12 start, that would be January 25. Here's the link.

Good morning all. Great site. May get to see or meet some of you on the JMT. Got my permit confirmation Friday for a start from HI to WP on 6/28/13. My three sons and myself to do the whole trail and 4 other friends bailing at Red's Meadow. Spent 18 days in 2011 in Yosemite and had a blast so we decided to go for the gusto!! Have been enjoying the Sierra since winter of 1983 while serving in the Marine Corp. Left Ca. (Murrieta) in 1992 for the hills of Tennessee. Good luck with all your planning and hope to make some new friends along the trail.

Images

Yosemite permit application for June 30 start going in at the end of today. 1) HI pass through 2) HI to LYV 3) Sunrise Lakes. Fingers crossed. Again, due to above strategy, I will not lose any sleep over it.

Success!! Received confirmation of Happy Isles pass through permit this morning. Now I just have to keep my focus on work, etc. for the next twenty four weeks.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++