WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Congrats on the permit, wcgornto. Great feeling to get that out of he way. I should be all finished by the time you head out, hopefully I will be able to provide some good info on weather/snow updates for those of you starting out in early July.

evenflow

Default permit confirmed!!

Today I received confirmation that my application was approved. July 1st Happy Isles . yaaaa! Now the rest of the planning. Its hard to think about anything else. Who's gonna join me?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Evenflow View Post
    Today I received confirmation that my application was approved. July 1st Happy Isles . yaaaa! Now the rest of the planning. Its hard to think about anything else. Who's gonna join me?

Well, I start one day ahead of you. If you average more than 15 miles per day, you might catch me.

evenflow

No 15m days at the start for sure. Maybe some days I'll walk that far. Its my first time so im planning a steady pace.

Images

No 15m days at the start for sure. Maybe some days I'll walk that far. Its my first time so im planning a steady pace.
    I have a total of fifteen days from Happy Isles to Whitney Portal. So I have no choice but to average fifteen per day. It won't be an issue provided that I am properly conditioned from the start.

I am planning an early August start for a N-S hike.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    For JMT hikes starting in Yosemite, the permit reservation may be made 24 weeks or 168 days in advance. Of course it's advisable to send (fax) it in on that first available day. For a July 12 start, that would be January 25. Here's the link.
    Thanks. That was the format I was aware of. I appreciate the confirmation.

Evenflow, did you get your confirmation by e-mail? Did you fax your permit request in the day you could or 5 pm PT the day before - I understand that either is ok? Any quirks I need to be thinking about. I have to fax mine in soon.

What's interesting is that Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks have a different system from Yosemite - instead of the 168 day/24 weeks in advance from the start, it's no earlier than March 1 for all hikes - whether you're starting June 1, July 1, August 15 whatever - send your permit application March 1 or soon thereafter to maximize your chance of getting a permit. Also, the permit reservation must be at least 2 weeks before your hike but I can't imagine anyone waiting that long.

Here's their rules. Note that like Yosemite, they also allow hikers without reservations to line up so it depends how you want to chance it.

In my case, I've hiked the JMT from Yosemite Valley to Woods Creek so I'm looking to start at the side trail in Sequoia which goes up to Woods Creek.

Images

And Inyo National Forest is also different ... six months rather than 24 weeks .... reserved online at recreation.gov

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bigglesworth View Post
    Evenflow, did you get your confirmation by e-mail? Did you fax your permit request in the day you could or 5 pm PT the day before - I understand that either is ok? Any quirks I need to be thinking about. I have to fax mine in soon.
    In the morning, they take everything that came by fax the night before and randomly sort them, then assign permits. If you wait until the day of, you may end up at the bottom of the stack after the ones that came in overnight.

Quote Originally Posted by wcgornto View Post
    And Inyo National Forest is also different ... six months rather than 24 weeks .... reserved online at recreation.gov
    Much thanks - saves me some trouble searching. I haven't decided whether I'm starting at Sequoia or Inyo NF.

evenflow

I faxed my application in the morning before they opened. I was surprised to accepted on first try. I got an e-mail.at work. I was prepared to send another try that evening. Good luck!

Permit Confirmed! I have confirmation on 2 JMT permits and 2 Half Dome permits...starting on July 11! Does anyone know if I can do Half Dome on my second day? Essentially, is my Half Dome permit flexible dates or will it be for the same day the JMT permit is issued? The wording on the Half Dome permit was vague; my e-mail just stated that I have them reserved.

SOO good to see all these easterners expanding their hiking adventures west of the Mississippi. You folks are going to love the JMT. Have a GREAT hike all.

JMT Thru Hike Southbound from Happy Isles. Planned start date is September 4 assuming I can get the permit!

Happy and excited to report that on January 25, 2013 received confirmation from NPS that my application was approved for the JMT thru-hike starting July 12th.
    Excited and trying to get into shape. I lost most of what I gained in my AT thru-hike in 2011.

I hope to see some of the 2013 JMT hikers on the trail. A thank you to GG-Man for your help. I am sorry not to have called you. I realized that I need to do more research
    before I called with questions that could be answered easily by doing my homework. You have all been great in answering my questions.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by q-tip View Post
    Tentative plan-Start Aug 1, 2013--I am concerened abut the snow pack in the high mountains--Anyone using meds for Acute Mountain Sickness??????????? I get it really bad......
    You shouldn't have major or quite possibly any issues with snowpack on the JMT proper with that start date Q-tip. Every yr can be different as far as snowpack though.

In regards to AMS, if you are starting at HI TH, the JMT northern terminus, you'll have time to acclimatize until the highest elevations along the JMT. Seems like so many hikers have that gotta go go go attitude, but when going SOBO JMT and flying in from near sea level locations, I find it helpful spending a day recouping from a long flight/bus ride and acclimatizing a bit by staying in Yosemite Valley at the quieter and off the beaten touristy path Back Packer's CG site a day before starting the JMT. Aside from stealthing in YV or staying at the Climber's CG this is THE PLACE to stay for a backpacker at an extremely affordable rate in YV! It's a short walk or free bus ride to most of YV attractions and services too.

In addition to the prescription drugs for AMS such as nifedipine(Adalat, Nifedical, Procardia), frusamide(Laxis), and acetazolomide(Diamox), which I've never taken, you could check out non-prescriptions, two of which are Cell Food, which according to the manufacturer increases cellular oxygen uptake, and Dimethylglycine(N,N dimetylglycine or DMG), which some "studies suggest that DMG may enhance oxygen utilization during hypoxia, or oxygen deficiency, and decrease lactic acid accumulation due to stress." I've used both of these as part of total regimine to avoid AMS. I've never had AMS from what I'm aware of.

These things also work FOR ME: 1)When hiking/climbing to higher elevations(above 10 k) from a much lower elev. I find it's smart to stay hydrated(as it is all the time), but with added significance when going to higher elevations. 2)ACCLIMATIZE 3) Avoid foods or things that tend to dehydrate or consume more oxygen in the energy conversion of food. For example, consume a diet higher in complex carbs and lower in fats. Avoid alcohol, caffeine, or foods extremely high in sugar or salt(sodium). I also take some supplements, that I take all the time when hiking, that increase circulation including blood flow(more oxygen) such as cayenne, ginger, ginko biloba, Nattokinease, garlic, a high grade kriil or fish oil supplement, and acetyl-L-carnitine. 4) take it easier the first couple of days at elev. 5) hit the trail in the best possible hiking condition whenever possible, it's also going to help in oxygen uptake!

Hope that gives you some info you might need or provide some possible options to prescription drugs.

Default Hiking JMT in June

Hey!

I may be hiking at that time too, depending on the snow. It sounds like we're both keeping an eye on the snow situation, but would be nice to know there's some other people on the trail. I did it in 2010, in early July which was a big snow year (everything over 10,000), so if we get lucky with low snow I'd give it a try in June.

Quote Originally Posted by i_Hike View Post
    My girlfriend and l will be starting the trail from Happy Isles - Yosemite on May 30 thru June 20. Just got the permit confirmation today. Looking forward to some snow. Anyone know a good reliable site to check out current snow pack in the Sierras?

Michelle - definitely nice to see someone else planning to go around the same time... snowpack seems like it is on pace to be manageable in June, though that can easily change in the next two months... Certainly a promising start to the season however. But if I have to take snowshoes, than ill just have to buy some snowshoes.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++