WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default glimpse back at trailplace ran by wingfoot who started the guidebook made by awol

He did NOT start the guidebook, he took it over and renamed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nean View Post
    He did NOT start the guidebook, he took it over and renamed it.
    exactly......

Author, Awol on the Appalachian Trail
    Images

The AT Guide didn't come from Wingfoot's book (The Thru-Hiker's Handbook). Both books were being used in 2010, along with The Companion. All had different features and formats.

yeah i wrote that post a little weird - awol took over the book after wingfoot, back then there was the data book and the companion . the point was more the links though - its funny how old websites look compared to today . dam shark here ready with ther facts

which one did you take over awol - sorry about the post above i guess im confused

The Philosophers Guide was started by Darrel Maret (The Philosopher). When he got tired of doing this he turned over the book to Wingfoot who changed the name to The Thru-Hikers Handbook. When Wingfoot got out of the book business he sold the book to Bob McCaw (501) who edited it for a few years keeping the same name. When he got tired of the book business he (presumably) sold the book to AWOL who merged it into the existing AT Guide.

The last time I spoke with Bob McCaw (501), he specificially stated that he still owned the publishing rights to "The Thru-Hiker's Handbook", and is in fact still maintaining and collecting data in case he wants to bring the book back.

Quote Originally Posted by Just a Hiker View Post
    The last time I spoke with Bob McCaw (501), he specificially stated that he still owned the publishing rights to "The Thru-Hiker's Handbook", and is in fact still maintaining and collecting data in case he wants to bring the book back.
    Here's Bob's announcement. Class act!:

Major announcement - Thru Hikers Handbook

I will be working with David Miller to merge the content of the Thru-hiker's Handbook and the AT Guide. It is our hope that the new product will contain the best features of each.

The new book will go under the name of the AT Guide.

The Trailplace forums will be unaffected. I have recently signed up with a new web host which is very inexpensive, and I prepaid three years. The only ongiong expenses of the site are the occasional calls to the software companies when a bug surfaces.

David and I are both excited about the new product and hope it does well.

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    Here's Bob's announcement. Class act!:

Major announcement - Thru Hikers Handbook

I will be working with David Miller to merge the content of the Thru-hiker's Handbook and the AT Guide. It is our hope that the new product will contain the best features of each.

The new book will go under the name of the AT Guide.

The Trailplace forums will be unaffected. I have recently signed up with a new web host which is very inexpensive, and I prepaid three years. The only ongiong expenses of the site are the occasional calls to the software companies when a bug surfaces.

David and I are both excited about the new product and hope it does well.
    All I know is what I witnessed and what Bob told me when we hiked together last Spring! He was collecting data and taking GPS readings for elevation profiles while on our hike just in case he brought the book back.

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    The Philosophers Guide was started by Darrel Maret (The Philosopher). When he got tired of doing this he turned over the book to Wingfoot who changed the name to The Thru-Hikers Handbook. When Wingfoot got out of the book business he sold the book to Bob McCaw (501) who edited it for a few years keeping the same name. When he got tired of the book business he (presumably) sold the book to AWOL who merged it into the existing AT Guide.
    Hard for me to remember exactly and may be mistaken but I was thinking the the P/guide was edited by a Daniel Chisholm or Csomethin back in 89 and that he had taken it over before wF got hold of it...

i've got an 85 and 87 edition of the Philosophers Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    I have the '89 edition!

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    Can I have them?
    Was there only one editor/ is my mind going?
    Hope all is well w/ you and yours LW.

Daniel Chazin has been the editor of the AT Data Book for about the last 30 years. I do not believe he ever had any involvement with the PG, other than as a contributor like any other hiker.

Love the AT Guide!
    "We wanderers, ever seeking the lonlier way,..."
    Kahlil Gibran ~ The Prophet

Can not find Dan for contact. Dan I am so sorry for your loss. You have my greatest sympathy. Love ya, geek

Occasionally lucid

I have the 1986 edition of the Philosopher's Guide by David Maret. Served me well for four years. Also still have the 1986 and 1987 editions of the AT Data Book by Dan Chazin.
    GA -> ME
    '86 -> '89

++ New Posts ++