WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by Miguelon View Post
    carry 4 or 8 oz of ethanol fuel...
    Ethanol? Ethyl Alcohol? Pure etoh(well, 95 percent pure...)?

Why? So you can make a cocktail after you light your fire?

Quote Originally Posted by Miguelon View Post
    carry 4 or 8 oz of ethanol fuel...
    The lightest backup fuel for a woodburning stove IMO is Esbit (in terms of heat output/gram fuel), but alcohol is easier to find in many locations. Both can be used in most woodburning stoves that have a multifuel option.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Images

Thanks Qiwiz... I'll look into that.
    Miguelon

Quote Originally Posted by QiWiz View Post
    The lightest backup fuel for a woodburning stove IMO is Esbit (in terms of heat output/gram fuel), but alcohol is easier to find in many locations. Both can be used in most woodburning stoves that have a multifuel option.
    Have you compared WetFire to Esbit? I am betting WetFire burns hotter, but shorter...

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    Have you compared WetFire to Esbit? I am betting WetFire burns hotter, but shorter...
    I have not made the comparison. Efficiency (in my general experience) tends to increase when a burner is less hot but burns longer, so a hotter burn for a shorter period of time might not be a good thing. I'll leave that to others to sort out. An Esbit tab weighs a half ounce. A full tab will usually boil 3 cups of water with good wind protection and correct pot height over the burning tab. That's good enough for me. For Esbit cooking I generally budget 2.5 tabs/day (1.25 oz fuel weight/day) so that I can have plenty of hot drinks along with a cooked breakfast and dinner. When using Esbit as a backup to wood burning, I usually just add a couple of "in case I need/want it" tabs to my kit, for a total weight penalty of an ounce. Just sayin . . .

Journal Entries
    Images

Hi QiWiz! guess what, I am about to build a Sea Water Desalination pot that works with the larger stove. I have ordered a specific pot that will arrive in the next two days and I am putting together a nested pot, coil, and cup. If I get anywhere I will send you a video.

I have a second idea to convert seawater to fresh, but requires a lot of metal work that is beyond me and would work with a single pot of any kind.
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 01-05-2017 at 12:03.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by QiWiz View Post
    I have not made the comparison. Efficiency (in my general experience) tends to increase when a burner is less hot but burns longer, so a hotter burn for a shorter period of time might not be a good thing. I'll leave that to others to sort out. An Esbit tab weighs a half ounce. A full tab will usually boil 3 cups of water with good wind protection and correct pot height over the burning tab. That's good enough for me. For Esbit cooking I generally budget 2.5 tabs/day (1.25 oz fuel weight/day) so that I can have plenty of hot drinks along with a cooked breakfast and dinner. When using Esbit as a backup to wood burning, I usually just add a couple of "in case I need/want it" tabs to my kit, for a total weight penalty of an ounce. Just sayin . . .
    Three cups of water to boil on one esbit tab; you've got to be kidding? I challenge that assumption. My trials punked out with two cups of water and one tab under controlled conditions. I find esbit to be frustrating and worthless except for reheating previously prepared food, which is what it was designed for.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Images

With this set-up, Toaks 900 and a DIY windcreen/pot support, I can consistently get 3 cups of water to boil easily with 1 regular size esbit under ideal conditions.
    Toaks900ml.PNG

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Clifton View Post
    Three cups of water to boil on one esbit tab; you've got to be kidding? I challenge that assumption. My trials punked out with two cups of water and one tab under controlled conditions. I find esbit to be frustrating and worthless except for reheating previously prepared food, which is what it was designed for.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    Challenge you can. Pot height and wind protection are critical to success with Esbit. I am not lying when I say that you can boil 3 cups with one tab. Get a Caldera Cone setup (or a similarly well-crafted set up, see Zelph's post) and you will be convinced. When out west above tree line, I have done many extended trips with Esbit as my primary fuel. For dinners I usually boil 4 cups (2 for food, 2 for beverage). With 1.5 tabs I bring 4 cups to a boil and have 3-5 minutes of simmer time before the Esbit is used up. No lie.

Images

Using the same set-up as in the above photo but substituting the pot to be a kmart grease pot, I could get 4 cups to 190 degrees using 1 regular size esbit. I used a Brian Green Esbit Tray(BGET) with bread pan corners to hold the esbit while it burned. Esbit has POWER Add another 1/2 cube and it's easy to boil the 4 cups and simmer as QiWiz has stated.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++