WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Head Lamp

Images

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    Same here. Love it. However, since my vision is really bad, I wouldn't try night hiking with this baby.
    That's where the Tikka XP-2 headlamp shines (pun intended)
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

save some money - engergizer comes with battery's available walmart, lowes, home depot like 10.00 the battery's last for a month - i bought a petzel once the batterys died wicked fast

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

I do quite a bit of night hiking with Tikka XP Plus 2. It's plenty bright on full and ample enough on low. My only complaint as a glasses wearer is that the light floods a little too well and tends to put a glare on my glasses. Thanks to a tip from someone else a little black electrical tape wrapped along the bottom does the trick.

As far as battery life is concerned, my batteries are generally good for around a week to 10 days at a time before I absolutely must put in a fresh set. I use rechargeables fwiw.

My son uses the Energizer lamp but it requires coin cell batteries (unless they've changed the design - quite possible). I've found that coin cell batteries lose their punch much too fast for hiking. My experience with the Photon has been quite poor in that regard and I've owned and tried to use 3 for night hiking. While the batteries are light they are also expensive. I got tired of having to shell out big $$ for each hike when AAA were so much cheaper.

Again, not trying to argue for my particular model of lamp just saying what the real-world specs are like. There are other great lights out there.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

I don't have a use for a red light anymore - never did really. My favorite light is still the PrincetonTec EOS (you can get a red/green/white version if you want). Regulated, Lithium OK, waterproof, easy & positive switch. I'm still using one that my lab pup chewed up - so they're pretty tough. About $35 from brightguy.com . A bunch of different versions available, but I like the 3-level & flashing 70+lumen version the best.

Journal Entries

I usually just carry a photon freedom.

If you want to serious night hike or such, its better to have the light mounted below your head, have it located on your chest or belt.
    Zebralight H51 is my favorite. Take it out of the headlight holster, and use clip to clip it to belt or packstrap.

Quote Originally Posted by fiveonomo View Post
    be a red light on it. I look forward to hearing from everyone.
    Oh, if this could only be on all of them! I HATE to be the "deer in the head lamps" when people have only white lights.

[QUOTE=dla;1372878]I don't have a use for a red light anymore - never did really.

If you hike with others you really need that red light to keep from blinding others and killing thier night vision, as well as waking everyone else up in a shelter when you get up at night, not to mention keeping the bugs from attacking your face.

Thanks everyone for your input, I greatly appreciate it. I went with the Tikka XP Plus 2.

Images

Default Head Lamp

The zipka is the best

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fiveonomo View Post
    Thanks everyone for your input, I greatly appreciate it. I went with the Tikka XP Plus 2.
    I've got one of those sitting unused in a drawer. Bring it back and trade it in for a Black Diamond Spot. That single high intensity LED burns through batteries at a faster rate than other, brighter lamps that are on the market.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++