WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cool Looking for partner

Hello,
    My name is Alexandra and I will be 20 soon, so I still relatively young. I go to the University of Michigan. I first found my love of hiking two years ago when I worked on the Colorado Trail and hiked some of it, so much fun! I am still relatively new to backpacking, but I wouldn't call myself a beginner, but most definitely not advanced. Since I am young and a woman, I would not like to hike the trail alone and my friends are all quite busy this next 2013 summer, as I am. But, I would love to make time for this opportunity. So, I was wondering if anyone was still looking for a partner. Thank you so much for your time!
    The dates are open. I am a girl and would not like to hike the trail alone. Is anyone else looking for a partner or for someone to add on? Let me know.
    Alexandra

Alexandra, woman was worried about her daughter hiking alone, she's about your age. Her member name was abbykat134, I believe.

If you're traveling northbound and leaving any time in March or April, you'll have no problem finding a group to travel with. No need to find a hiking partner ahead of time--the AT isn't a lonely place.

Alexandra, you may want to contact the Colorado Trail Foundation. They might be able to help you with ideas of how to find partners either through them or other groups. When I thru'd in 2011, my partner and I met a single woman hiking who joined us for about 10 days but it's not something you can count on for the CT.

I know of at least one single woman and one couple planning a 2013 thruhike. I don't know if the former is planning a solo or not but if you'd like, I can put you in touch with her. She's middle-aged.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitchin' Post View Post
    If you're traveling northbound and leaving any time in March or April, you'll have no problem finding a group to travel with. No need to find a hiking partner ahead of time--the AT isn't a lonely place.
    Looks like you're thinking of the AT - the OP is hiking the Colorado Trail.

I'm planning a CT hike starting in late August thru September. Happy to chat directly to see if schedules and styles mesh.

Judo
    Judo

It is often -and I do mean often, better to find a partner on the trail. Young ladies often -and I do mean often, have their choice of many willing partners. It isn't about hookin up as you youngsters call it but hikers tend to look out for each other and enjoy the company of a kindred spirit.

Judo- try if you can to start a month earlier IMHO. September in the CO mountains can have many nasty days which means less fun/ veiws/ shorter days/ hunting season/ etc. etc....

Quote Originally Posted by Nean View Post
    It is often -and I do mean often, better to find a partner on the trail. Young ladies often -and I do mean often, have their choice of many willing partners. It isn't about hookin up as you youngsters call it but hikers tend to look out for each other and enjoy the company of a kindred spirit. ....
    Well then, perhaps my CT thruhike experience was an aberration. The ability to easily find a hiking partner on the trail is starkly different between the CT and the AT.

In 38 days hiking on the CT (late July to end of August), we met 5 fellow SOBOers, one of whom probably didn't get too far. And in the hostels, motels, etc, we didn't hear of too many others. I think it would be disingenuous to assure the OP's mother that she'd find companionship on the CT (the OP didn't mention this concern specifically but I'm sure it's there). It's not likely to happen, even if she is a young woman.

Oh, we also met 2 CDT SOBOs but less than half the CT follows the CDT.

Cookerhiker--I stand by my post. If she wants to leave Springer in March or April to hike the Colorado Trail, she should have no problem finding a partner

Quote Originally Posted by Nean View Post
    Judo- try if you can to start a month earlier IMHO. September in the CO mountains can have many nasty days which means less fun/ veiws/ shorter days/ hunting season/ etc. etc....
    August to mid - September is one of the nicest time frames to hike the CT. Usually a bit colder than mid-summer, but the bugs are less, the thunderstorms are less frequent, fewer people, and the colors are spectacular. Low probability of encountering snow then, but it possible to have some. (Also possible in any other month of the summer.)

Quote Originally Posted by Hitchin' Post View Post
    Cookerhiker--I stand by my post. If she wants to leave Springer in March or April to hike the Colorado Trail, she should have no problem finding a partner
    April is absolutely a terrible time. It is one of the highest snowfall months in the Colorado high country. You will not find fellow hikers, nor will you find the trail in many places because it will still be buried deeply in snow. The trail is not marked for snow travel and extremely difficult to navigate at that time. It is also potentially very hazardous unless you are highly skilled in winter travel and avalanche safety, and carry the appropriate gear.

Earliest time to realistically begin a CT thru is mid June, and that can be sketchy in a high snowfall year. July 1st is usually a reliable beginning date.

Although there are many hikers at any given time in the summer, almost all hike in the same direction which is from Denver to Durango. The only others you will encounter will be those who are faster or slower, neither of which will be a perfect match as a partner. Keep working these forums, and check out The Colorado Trail Foundation on Facebook and you should find someone compatible.
    Last edited by bearcreek; 12-12-2012 at 17:48.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bearcreek View Post
    April is absolutely a terrible time. It is one of the highest snowfall months in the Colorado high country. Y

I think HP was writing tongue in cheek. HP did not realize he (she?) was posting it the CT forum at first instead of the AT forum.

(April on the CT would be hard to say the least, though! )
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    I think HP was writing tongue in cheek. HP did not realize he (she?) was posting it the CT forum at first instead of the AT forum.

(April on the CT would be hard to say the least, though! )
    That was my impression also, especially when he added the

Alexandra, age 19, who started this conversation, may not be used to the rather unconventional logic or humor of thru-hikers. Hopefully she now knows that this April concept is a joke as opposed to being a good idea.....
    Last edited by bearcreek; 12-12-2012 at 22:28.

Quote Originally Posted by bearcreek View Post
    Alexandra, age 19, who started this conversation, may not be used to the rather unconventional logic or humor of thru-hikers. Hopefully she now knows that this April concept is a joke as opposed to being a good idea.....
    I caught on towards the end. Thanks!

Also, thanks for all the information. But, I will also still keep continuing into looking for a partner ahead of time instead of once I am on the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by alexandraaforte View Post
    I caught on towards the end. Thanks!

Also, thanks for all the information. But, I will also still keep continuing into looking for a partner ahead of time instead of once I am on the trail.
    It's not needed but it's still a good idea to have someone to start with just to make you comfortable. Odds are you and whoever you start with will be traveling with a different group within a short period of time, you tend to just fall in with a group that's right for you. Have a blessed hike.

Hi
    My name is tex, im hiking the trail this year and wouldnt mind a partner, when were you planning on beginning, and at what end?
    BTW im 26 im a fairly expierienced hiker, im in the military but my active service ends Feb 4 2013, so anytime you wanted to start after that would work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    Well then, perhaps my CT thruhike experience was an aberration. The ability to easily find a hiking partner on the trail is starkly different between the CT and the AT.
    Yeah, could be. We met and hiked with a young lady for a week or so and later a young man joined us for a couple of weeks along the way. And I did probably overstate how easy it is to find a partner (on the CT). MY experience is that most prearranged partnerships don't mesh but you find others that suit your style on the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    It's not needed but it's still a good idea to have someone to start with just to make you comfortable. Odds are you and whoever you start with will be traveling with a different group within a short period of time, you tend to just fall in with a group that's right for you. Have a blessed hike.
    Thank you. I'll keep looking and I'm sure things might change once on the hike, but always good to have someone to start with.

Images

It might be beneficial if you provided information about when you plan to begin the adventure, which direction you are going, and about how many miles per day you will be undertaking out of the gates (will likely increase afetr the hiker legs kick in)

Images

I'm leaving in two weeks 1-30-13 if you want to share the cost to Georgia. I Think starting out with someone is a good idea. Later on once on the trail hiking partners adopt "hike your own hike" mentality.

Quote Originally Posted by LeaderDog View Post
    I'm leaving in two weeks 1-30-13 if you want to share the cost to Georgia. I Think starting out with someone is a good idea. Later on once on the trail hiking partners adopt "hike your own hike" mentality.
    I don't think she's interested in a ride to Georgia since this thread is about the Colorado Trail.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++