WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

CF97 > Everything Else.

Default Bird Cage and Rob Bird

I know Rob was planning on moving down south in October. If anyone has any info on this please post here. I'm also looking for his number -- please PM me his number!
    "... I know it is wrong, but I am for the spirit that makes young men do the things they do. I am for the glory that they know." --Sigurd Olson, Singing Wilderness.

AT '12, LT '13, CT '14, PCT '15

GA-ME 2011
    Images

So I guess Rob has retired. I was hoping to stop by and see him next year during a section hike. We've met in the past and last year we had a lengthy conversation about what was going on in town.

Rob is one of those guys who will do anything to help hikers. During the two days I was in town last year he took one hiker with a severe shoulder injury to the airport in Albany. The very next day he took another hiker to the same airport due to a death in his family. He would not accept a dime from either hiker.

Dalton won't be the same with out him and the trail is loosing a great asset. Too bad.

Thanks for everything Rob, you will be missed!
    Good luck and enjoy the warm winters!
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    So I guess Rob has retired. I was hoping to stop by and see him next year during a section hike. We've met in the past and last year we had a lengthy conversation about what was going on in town.

Rob is one of those guys who will do anything to help hikers. During the two days I was in town last year he took one hiker with a severe shoulder injury to the airport in Albany. The very next day he took another hiker to the same airport due to a death in his family. He would not accept a dime from either hiker.

Dalton won't be the same with out him and the trail is loosing a great asset. Too bad.

Thanks for everything Rob, you will be missed!
    Good luck and enjoy the warm winters!
    Dalton won't be the same without him!! So True Don H...

I heard that he was going to open up another place.. I just can't remember where... Uggg!! I do remember it was in the south somewhere.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Well that would be great if he opened a place for hikers in the south.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

unicoi gap is the new digs i have his number

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Is he opening another place or just moving there? Does he want hikers to contact him?
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

We stopped at Rob's on the way back to NH from our Thanksgiving travels. Daughter Drifter had a wonderful stay at the Cage in August on her thru and wanted to stop by and say hi to him. He was packing up the house and heading out in a couple of days. He was excited about his new life down in Unicoi and hoping to stay involved with the hikers and the trail one way or another. Glad I had a chance to meet him. Terrific guy.

i talked to rob last night- he cant put up the number of hikers as he was - all alumni hikers are always welcome, but only a few select hikers this year - a couple at a time kinda thing... -word of mouth - he never advertised before -he's not starting now - as well He will be at trail days this year. He does'nt do internet. So im just saying what he told me

Quote Originally Posted by greywolf1974 View Post
    i talked to rob last night- he cant put up the number of hikers as he was - all alumni hikers are always welcome, but only a few select hikers this year - a couple at a time kinda thing... -word of mouth - he never advertised before -he's not starting now - as well He will be at trail days this year. He does'nt do internet. So im just saying what he told me
    Great info... thanks!

Images

Any further updates on Rob?
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

I was late in the pack of SOBO's this year and he took us in for 2 nights so we could slack pack. Rob had asked me at that point to tell the last of the NOBO's that he was closed, though still took them in. He also let Danish stay with him for over a week. Poor German(Danish) broke his leg 70 miles from Katahdin. Rob was a wonderful and I hope to see him in Unicoi sometime. How can I reach him when I go for a section this spring?

++ New Posts ++