WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I am looking at places in both Damascus and Hot Springs I think the further south I go the better the business as it is less likely to be seasonal...Hot Springs also has quite a few large events that take place in the town...trail fest...french broad river fest...bluff mountain festival and the cbarally. My plan is to run the hostel like the Teahorse Hostel in Harpers Ferry...when I stayed there it was very clean, I paid $25 a night and there was no drinking on the premises. We shall see how things play out.
    Valerie Bloomberg (TrailTrekr)
    http://www.trailtrekr.com
    567 Legacy Pride Dr
    Herndon, Va. 20170

Good luck to you TrailTrekr... I'd love you to be close to me in Daleville VA... I would love to help you set up/run a hostel.

Quote Originally Posted by turtle fast View Post
    I could think of a few places where you would be the only hostel in town. Pearisburg, VA could benefit from a hostel...the only competition is the higher priced hotels.
    I was planning on staying at one of the "expensive" hotels closer to the trail next time, but is the Church of the Holy Family Hospice still around? That was a real nice hostel back in the day.

CHF Hostel was active in 2010 I stayed there, in early April and it was excellent. Nothing too it really but a quiet clean place to sleep and shower near a wal-mart, for $10, at double the suggested donation kept me happy. It is odd that the concept is really similar to the Place but seemed to not be having the same problems. (totally anecdotal of course) Perhaps because it is a greater distance from the trail, or because it is right next door to the Church? Or maybe it does have the same problems, I wouldn't have seen them as myself and one other were the first hikers they had that season, and no one else joined us.

In Damascus I would think the Creeper Trail ( with shuttles for cyclists) would be a bigger business than hikers, and of course section hikers being a bigger business than thru's. I mean one would have to do the research and develop a plan, see if it could be profitable. I would consult with the folks at HH in Dahlonega, regarding running a for profit hostel effectively.

Quote Originally Posted by OzJacko View Post
    If you are in the hiking community it's easy to think there are 1000's of people wanting a facility like that.
    However if you want to make money as a business you need to look more objectively.

At most about 3000 people start at Springer or Katahdin on a thru hike.
    Probably not more than 2000 will ever reach Damascus each year. (I'm being generous with that figure.)
    You are unlikely to get more than half of the total. Damascus is noted everywhere for being friendly and welcoming. You would have competition.
    Yes there are lots of day and section hikers but mostly they start and finish in a town and don't necessarily stay at hostels.

Many hikers are "tight" and won't spend a lot of money.
    Hiking season is fairly short. You and your hostel are there 12 months of the year.

In short if you want to have a profitable business you need to attract a non hiking market as well.
    You may make great money during Trail Days but November to March would be pretty lean for someone relying on hikers for an income.
    If you don't need the income then there is potential for a great supplement to your income.

I think I've read that Damascus is on a biking trail as well but this would not be enough I would think.

As a hiker I would welcome more choices but I think it would be remiss of us here to encourage false hope in the profitability of a hostel.
    As a section hiker, I would like to "chime in" here a little; Since I live quite a drive from the AT, I always stay at a hostels when possible. I will admit that I have been the only one their a few times. An exception might be to look at Mtn Harbour B & B/Hostel operation. I stayed there 2x this year and they told me that their business has exploded over the last two years, can't hardly keep up with it. Granted, they are in an ideal location, but they are doing something right.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Seatbelt View Post
    As a section hiker, I would like to "chime in" here a little; Since I live quite a drive from the AT, I always stay at a hostels when possible. I will admit that I have been the only one their a few times. An exception might be to look at Mtn Harbour B & B/Hostel operation. I stayed there 2x this year and they told me that their business has exploded over the last two years, can't hardly keep up with it. Granted, they are in an ideal location, but they are doing something right.
    "..don't necessarily stay at hostels..."
    I haven't tried to make blanket statements saying "all this or all that".
    I just feel it is easy for a site like this to give enthusiastic support for an idea and that support doesn't necessarily translate into "adequate" patronage for a business to be successful.
    I hope the OP does make a go of something like this as I would probably patronise it but I would hope he/she does so with a good objective look at the pros and cons.
    Starting a small business can be the best and worst decision someone makes. It should be a decision made largely without emotion.
    Passion for a business is a big plus in its success but at the end of the day the figures have to add up.

OzJacko, you are correct and I personally agree with you 100% being a small business starter/owner myself. In thinking back about my different stays at hostels, and talking to many of the owners, I have come up with a couple of observations that I hope our OP will look at.

It seems that most of the hostel owner/operators are either retired and/or have some other form of income to support them during slow periods.
    The biggest single income producer seems to be the shuttle service.

Just my observation.

They were all closed up come November, along with EVERYTHING in that town. They must have forgotten people hike it south as well as north. It is the Maine to Georgia trail and all. Best trail town my butt.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by OzJacko View Post
    If you are in the hiking community it's easy to think there are 1000's of people wanting a facility like that.
    However if you want to make money as a business you need to look more objectively.

At most about 3000 people start at Springer or Katahdin on a thru hike.
    Probably not more than 2000 will ever reach Damascus each year. (I'm being generous with that figure.)
    You are unlikely to get more than half of the total. Damascus is noted everywhere for being friendly and welcoming. You would have competition.
    Yes there are lots of day and section hikers but mostly they start and finish in a town and don't necessarily stay at hostels.

Many hikers are "tight" and won't spend a lot of money.
    Hiking season is fairly short. You and your hostel are there 12 months of the year.

In short if you want to have a profitable business you need to attract a non hiking market as well.
    You may make great money during Trail Days but November to March would be pretty lean for someone relying on hikers for an income.
    If you don't need the income then there is potential for a great supplement to your income.

I think I've read that Damascus is on a biking trail as well but this would not be enough I would think.

As a hiker I would welcome more choices but I think it would be remiss of us here to encourage false hope in the profitability of a hostel.

After several fairly long discussions with the owners of the Harbour House Hostel in TN, I may differ with your analysis. They both told me, on separate occasions, that they had no intention of serving hikers when they bought the place. They were looking to run a B&B. It was circumstances and the clientele that showed up on their door step and the phone calls they got that caused them to start catering to hikers. They both say that hiker services are now the bulk of their business, and if it wasn't for the hikers, there would be no business. They do offer shuttles, have plenty of secure parking, a FANTASTIC breakfast only $9 if you spend the night in either the B&B or the Hostel.

It is run as a business, and it shows.

TrailTrekr: I hope you'll consider opening a hostel in Damascus. As a new business owner here, I can tell you that the town and the people here have been more than helpful. The environment seems to be a very positive one for new additions to better the town for everyone (remember, there are folks that live here year round too!). When you're in town, stop in and say hello to everyone at Blue Blaze Cafe, let us know how your search goes for a trailside business!

http://www.facebook.com/blueblazecafe
    Located in Downtown Damascus at the old Quincey's Pizza location at 132 W Laurel Street, on the AT. We're looking forward to serving you!

Journal Entries
    Images

Before I ventured into the hiker hostel business I would look up Miss Janet and have a talk with her. I believe that she could enlighten you on the pros and cons of the hiker hostel business.
    Grampie-N->2001

Images

Did I get the name wrong? Mountain Harbour, Harbour House? Emabarassing. I really like the place. Been there several times, used their shuttle.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TrailTrekr View Post
    If so where is there an area that is lacking services for hikers that would be a good place to open a hiker hostel?
    I always suggest to prospective Hostel Owners to be a caretaker before purchasing any property. Spend a month or two at an already established hostel when the bulk of hikers are coming through. It shouldn't be too hard to find one in need of help. You won't make any money but it will be an eye opener and the experience you gather will be well worth it.

As you may know (or may not know) hikers are VERY demanding. There is alot more to it than just providing a service to hikers. While you are hiking yourself, thoughts about running a hostel may seem glamorous and something that you would like to do. But, after an exhausting day of shuttling hikers, here, there and everywhere, another group of hikers shows up and wonders when the next town run is . . . meanwhile, someone used the toilet that has a 'Do Not Use' sign on it, there are no more clean towels, the internet isn't working for some reason . . . etc, etc, etc . . .

After you've done some caretaking time and if you still want to do it . . . what about Harpers Ferry area. It's close to Herndon (I grew up in Sterling Park) and other than hikers there'd be regular tourists visiting town . . . .

Anyway, Good Luck and Have Fun!

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

maintenance videos
    how to hike

If I am not mistaken, Miss Janet's hostel was purely a donation based venture that sadly didn't succeed. A good lesson to heed.

Quote Originally Posted by mfleming View Post
    If I am not mistaken, Miss Janet's hostel was purely a donation based venture that sadly didn't succeed. A good lesson to heed.
    and that is why uncle johnny has been in BUSINESS for 15 years or so

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    i agree. Damascus needs a real hostel with onsite owners/caretakers.
    Damascus is in real need of a hiker hostel. there are 2 with virtually no services. just bunks and a shower. the Hikers Inn only has 4 bunks and a double bed. you could make pretty good money with a good hostel. a kennel for dogs with be a big plus
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowan View Post
    They were all closed up come November, along with EVERYTHING in that town. They must have forgotten people hike it south as well as north. It is the Maine to Georgia trail and all. Best trail town my butt.
    they're closed Cowan because neither hostel has heat. a hiker/biker hostel in town would make money if run right

they're closed Cowan because neither hostel has heat. a hiker/biker hostel in town would make money if run right

It just so happened to be right before thanksgiving and the temp was closed to 75 that afternoon. Only things open in town was one outfitter and subway. and a gas station.

I've considered jumping in on this in the past. In Damascus or most likely in Atkins, to make the Marion/Atkins area more hiker friendly/accessible. Maybe one day way down the road.

Bayou
    Journal Entries

Default Is the hiker hostel market saturated in Damascus Va

1st of all LF we are going to try to keep a caretaker at The Place so it is not just u and TOW. 2nd Damascus can use a for profit Hostel/B.B.( to keep money coming in when the hikers are not). The Owners of the Hiker Inn could give so great input to a new owner. Will have another "Hiker Hostel" preparation at the ALDHA in Oct.

Bayou
    Journal Entries

Add Content

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++