WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Before you buy or build a hostel, check out what needs to be in place in order to be able to get commerical insurance. The second you charge anything, you are now held to much higher standard for life safety. There really isnt such a thing as a commercial facility being "grandfathered' from following the rules. You may be able to get insurance for a business that doesnt meet life safety code, but you pay through the nose as it opens you and the insurance company up for significantly more lawsuits. Depressingly, many of the hostels on the AT most likely dont meet life safety codes and the ones who do mandatory "donations" or charge are one lawsuit away from losing everything they own.

The town of damascus isn't big enough to support the amout of Hostels,B-B, their peak season is from March to May then the rest of the year that town is dead.

Images

There are several B&Bs for sale in Damascus that would make nice hostels. The most reasonable is the one Susie Montgomery is selling next door to the Hike Inn. It is listed at $235,000. Properly run, I think it could do quite well year round.

There is also a place in NC outside of Hot Springs. It is a wonderful, beautiful home owned by Fal & Hercules. Pretty sure there is a thread on WB about it.

Images

They are only "dead" to springtime hikers... lots of bicyclists come to town Spring, Summer, and Fall. Then there are the SOBOs that hit town in the winter and the winter hikers.

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOG View Post
    The town of damascus isn't big enough to support the amout of Hostels,B-B, their peak season is from March to May then the rest of the year that town is dead.
    you really do not know what you're talking about

Images

My wife and I talked about in the future opening one up. Somewhere maybe near the Roans or Va. line. We would have hot meals, showers, fire ring outside with firewood, hammocks, laundry on site, nice clean beds, snacks, resupply items, and mail drops as well as UPS/Fed Ex drops/pickups and dog kennels outside if needed and transportation locally and shuttle to and from the trail. With all this, I think about $35- $40 per night ALL INCLUSIVE would be a fair price. Its a plan we are going to work on. May take a couple years but we want to do it. Not out to make a profit! We want to do it for the hikers and give them the best service they could have and I think for $40 and you have everything at your beckoning call is not a bad price! Plus, no alcohol and no smoking!

Journal Entries
    Images

I think you are asking 2 totally different questions. A B&B is totally different than a hiker hostel. The Lazy Fox in Damascus is a beautiful B&B & several hikers use it every year. The difference is the clientele for a B&B will be couples (with money) for 3 seasons vs a Hostel will be a handful of thru's with money in the nobo & sobo seasons. As far as how busy you can be will depend on your marketing strategy. I personally stay at a 1/2 dozen B&B's a year & Damascus has a ton to offer with the creeper & nearby Grayson Highlands. Damascus doesn't have much to offer in the food range for B&B types but if you can offer dinner as well as breakfasts, it could be a hit. You'll just have to be creative & build a reputation if Damascus is where you want to be. Good Luck!
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Journal Entries
    Images

Another factor is the high dollar cost of buying a current B&B v/s the lower costs for an older home & turning it into a hostel. All depending on the zoning in Damascus, if there is such a thing in Damascus

Images

The house I referred to is an older house and would make a great hostel. It is right next door to the Hike Inn, which operates both as a B&B and a hostel. It is the best price I have seen in Damascus for a good while...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Joey View Post
    My wife and I talked about in the future opening one up. Somewhere maybe near the Roans or Va. line. We would have hot meals, showers, fire ring outside with firewood, hammocks, laundry on site, nice clean beds, snacks, resupply items, and mail drops as well as UPS/Fed Ex drops/pickups and dog kennels outside if needed and transportation locally and shuttle to and from the trail. With all this, I think about $35- $40 per night ALL INCLUSIVE would be a fair price. Its a plan we are going to work on. May take a couple years but we want to do it. Not out to make a profit! We want to do it for the hikers and give them the best service they could have and I think for $40 and you have everything at your beckoning call is not a bad price! Plus, no alcohol and no smoking!
    $40 is what Rambunny was charging for her Hostel in Atkins. Don't think she is still open, but her place stayed full when it was. If meals (breakfast and dinner) are included you may be okay at that price, but $20 if more like it without.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    The house I referred to is an older house and would make a great hostel. It is right next door to the Hike Inn, which operates both as a B&B and a hostel. It is the best price I have seen in Damascus for a good while...
    Gotcha, Great Location, right on the main drag. Good Luck!!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    $40 is what Rambunny was charging for her Hostel in Atkins. Don't think she is still open, but her place stayed full when it was. If meals (breakfast and dinner) are included you may be okay at that price, but $20 if more like it without.
    And Rambunny's meals were outstanding...and pretty much AYCE.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Really Lone Wolf i don't know what i am talking about, i have been in Damascus every season out of the year and the only time that town isn't dead is during Thru-Hiker season, the rest of the year it's DEAD.

Really Lone Wolf i don't know what i am talking about, i have been in Damascus every season out of the year and the only time that town isn't dead is during Thru-Hiker season, the rest of the year it's DEAD.
    thru-hiker season is basically april and may. 2 months. march through november is crowded with Creeper trail riders, section hikers, long distance bicyclers and southbound hikers. you don't know what you're talkin' about

what do you consider riff raff????

Images

Quote Originally Posted by strnorm View Post
    people that think rules are for other people.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    Depressingly, many of the hostels on the AT most likely dont meet life safety codes and the ones who do mandatory "donations" or charge are one lawsuit away from losing everything they own.
    Same thing can be said about people who charge for shuttles and don't carry the required extra insurance to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by strnorm View Post
    hiker pukes that wanna stay in town but not pay for it but will party at bars and drink and use drugs in the hostel

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf:1422766
    thru-hiker season is basically april and may. 2 months. march through november is crowded with Creeper trail riders, section hikers, long distance bicyclers and southbound hikers. you don't know what you're talkin' about
    Is it quiet because what looks like 400 to 500 bicycles are being rented each day? That was the most bike rental places I have ever seen. The down town space may be quiet because everyone is riding the trails instead of shopping. I really like Damascus from what I have seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
    Is it quiet because what looks like 400 to 500 bicycles are being rented each day? That was the most bike rental places I have ever seen. The down town space may be quiet because everyone is riding the trails instead of shopping. I really like Damascus from what I have seen.
    Riding the Creeper Trail is a "must do" while near Damascus! I flipped off my bike after coming off a bridge... *embarrassing*

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++