WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Papa D - Canadian Border.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by UHFox View Post
    As I read this post, I was in a Vermont motel and had just cracked open a Long Trail Pale Ale. It is pretty good.
    The Long Trail starts on the AT at the MA /VT border (just north of North Adams, MA) and shares the AT to just past US 4 (the road to Rutland - - this is where Killington and Pico Ski Resorts are) - - it then continues due north for another 170+ miles to the Canadian Border near North Troy, VT. It is a fantastic and exciting vista packed, challenging, and spirited hike - - I recommend it to all.
    Last edited by Papa D; 12-29-2012 at 23:36.

Quote Originally Posted by fredmugs View Post
    Forgot I made this post. Long Trail is good but pedestrian in the grand scheme of things. So is Magic Hat. Heady Topper is the bomb.
    I agree on Long Trail. I love the trail - have wanted so much to love the beer, but haven't found anything they make that is special.

The Long Trail Brewmasters series is pretty solid. Good Double IPA, as long as you're not comparing to Heady.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBeerd View Post
    The Long Trail Brewmasters series is pretty solid. Good Double IPA, as long as you're not comparing to Heady.
    This is true - I've had a couple that I really enjoyed and demanded some attention. I had the coffee porter at a tasting last month and that was a pleasant surprise. Still, they don't have anything I'd seek out.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by pedxing View Post
    This is true - I've had a couple that I really enjoyed and demanded some attention. I had the coffee porter at a tasting last month and that was a pleasant surprise. Still, they don't have anything I'd seek out.
    Well you either had the Coffee Stout, or the Imperial Porter. Unless you mixed the two lol

Long Trail's Brewmaster series is not too shabby at all. They just started up a small batch system and are trying out some new things. They made an American IPA that was decent, and now they have a Bavarian Smoked Brown Ale that I haven't had a chance to try yet...

Thanks for clarifying. It would have been what they called Coffee Stout. I would argue that it is a coffee porter (in small caps), but I was thinking that was the name and that would cause problems if I or anyone else tried to order it.

I agree that Long Trail is a bit underwhelming. I don't mind the Hit the Trail Ale or Harvest but only as last resort. For VT beers I stick with Otter Creek, Switchback, Rock Art, and Trout River as far as those with at least modest distribution.

Images

agree... Hill Farmstead's 'Anna' (best beer 2012) is named after my Grandma! ...although I personally like 'Woodchuck's' Hard Cider

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/hill-fa...d-anna/135758/
    "The mountains are calling and I must go" John Muir

Images

Thought I'd update this thread.

Long Trail has really stepped their game up as of late. Their Brown Bag series is really showing what they are capable of, and the Farmhouse stuff they are releasing at the brewery is fantastic. Their new Black Rye IPA is AWESOME. Limbo IPA, belgian brunette, Culmination Porter....yum yum. Definitely bringing some great brews to the table!

In general in VT most small country stores have beer coolers and unlike most states, they usually have some dusty containers of national brands and mostly local microbrews.

I think Magic Hat still has free brewery tours in the Burlington area. Harpoon Brewery in Windsor (just north of Hanover) has brewery tours.

I didn't get a chance to go to the Long Trail brewery but I did pick up a Brewmaster Series stout and porter but I haven't drank them yet. Watching my Heady Topper get canned was great and I can honestly say that the less than one hour old Heady was the best beer I've ever had.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Journal Entries
    Images

Not a Vermont comment, but I was impressed by the selection the New Blue Blaze café had in Damascus, I love when an establishment brings in local brew & the Abingdon brews they have on display there are some very tasty brews
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Long Trail Double bag is my everyday beer. Triple bag for special occasions. Rock Art (Morrisville) Belvidere Big IPA is another favorite. Shedd (Stowe) Mountain Ale is another everyday beer, but causes almost certain "Shedd Head" the next day. Best thing is they are selling 2 Shedds, Long Trail, 2 Magic Hats and Switchback at Costco. Think the Alchemist reopened, but could be wrong. Headdy Topper is everywhere. I have so many homebrewer friends that are really getting good. Guy I work with makes a burly oatmeal stout that is one of the best brews I've ever had.

If you stop in Burlington on your way on or off the trail, there are several restaurants with amazing selections. Never think about it until I leave the state and see what's available other places. American Flatbread, Bluebird Tavern, VT Pub and Brew, Farm Table, etc. Das Bierhaus is a good stop for European micro brews. They have a german dopplebock that is my favorite to date...but haven't been able to get it anywhere else. Most of the places mentioned aside from the VT Pub and Bierhaus can be a bit pricey (not to mention douchey) as well. Dinner for two, a shared appetizer and one brew each can easily reach $60.00+ (almost $100.00 at the Farm Table).

If you like hard cider, Citizen Cider is pretty good. They have several varieties.

There are more important questions to be considered when hiking the LT. Don't be so narrow minded or obsessed with World Class Beer near the LT
    Other more important questions need to be asked. Can you find World Class Beer on the LT or does anyone deliver it to LT shelters and camping areas?

They used to at Partnership on the AT.....with the pizzzzas. And, I saw it delivered to the Fontana Hilton as well.

The Alchemist just stopped retail sales at their Waterbury headquarters. Something about parking and being too busy.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCountryWoods View Post
    The Alchemist just stopped retail sales at their Waterbury headquarters. Something about parking and being too busy.
    I saw that too. We had $5 Heady at a few places in Waterbury which is fine at a restaurant but there's no way I'm paying $5 each for a case at a retail store. Hopefully they will resolve this with a bigger place - they did make a reference to Ben & Jerry's having to move and re-invent themselves as they got larger. Hopefully it's just growing pains. There's always Hill Farmstead although it's a chore to get there.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Images

All will be fine with The Alchemist

Love the Heady. Kind of bummed they closed retail at the brewery. Used to be able to drive 40 miles and buy 2 cases there instead of the common 4 pack rations. Got to throw Fiddlehead into the mix here as well. (Shelburne) Great IPA. If your in the area (Burlington) the brewers festival is a great venue to sample of all the VT micro brews! (and others too) Someone mentioned they always keep Heady in the fridge, well I try to... but it keeps disappearing!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++