WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default dog tough sleeping pad question

Hi, I have a thermarest trail light sleeping pad and I like it because my dog does not poke holes in it, its very rugged, however im looking for a pad that is wider like 25" instead of 20" and shorter like 47" or 66" instead of 72", and I am also looking to keep the 1.5" thickness. Is there anything out there? thanks

I cut down my 1.5 thermarest. You can find directions to do it here: http://paulaslongwalk.wordpress.com/...est-sleep-pad/
    Quilteresq
    2013, hopefully.

I used a Big Agnes Air Core for 1400 miles with my dog and it took a beating from him without breaking down or puncturing. My dog walked all over that thing every night without issue. They are 20" wide, but they do come in shorter sizes like 48" and 66". Hope this helps.

Images

thanks for the responses, I went with a 25" Thermarest and plan to cut it down.

A little off topic but I'll tell the story. A hiker buddy and I were sitting against a log after making camp chewing the fat, his dog was settling into his tent and I ask him what he used for his dogs pad, he said a short Thermorest, I said I used a cheap foam pad from Walmart, my dog had a habit of putting things in his mouth when he sleeps, he said his dog never did that, looked over at his tent and his dog had a $500 WM sleeping bag in his mouth, the clear repair tape I had patched 5 holes.

Images

Good story, the price we dog owners pay one time or another, but its worth it!

Images

I'm not sure if I fully understand you're post but I will say that I got the Thermarest prolite plus and it seems pretty rugged, I'm not afraid of my dog poking a hole in it when he walks on it, I got the large one because of the width, the extra 5" makes all the difference in the world to me, I have only slept on it twice now but I no longer feel like im going to roll off my pad. It weighs 30oz which is heavy but to me worth it. I do plan on shorting it but haven't yet. The other thing I like about it is that it is quiet when you move on it and does not slide around on the tent floor.
    Long Trail 8/12, AT SOBO 2013, https://www.youtube.com/user/Polechar/videos

Images

I got the Large Thermarest Prolite plus pad and I cut it down a few days ago, It worked perfectly! Now it measures 25"x53" and it weighs in at 23oz (was 30oz)and packs down smaller. This project was much easier than I thought it would be and I am fully confident it will hold up as well as the factory seam. If others like having a 25" wide pad as much as I do don't be afraid to do this, It only took an hour and a half and was a piece of cake!
    BTW, I did not use any goo gone, I had some but I felt no need to use it, I got all most all the foam off with my fingers and then used a small wire brush to get the last little bit. If any one has any questions about this feel free to ask.016.jpg009.jpg010.jpg011.jpg013.jpg015.jpg

Images

Made it the entire way with this pad, my dog walked all over it every night and it didn't get a single hole.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by polechar View Post
    Made it the entire way with this pad, my dog walked all over it every night and it didn't get a single hole.
    Nice! Congratulations!
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Grats! I am so happy for you and thank you for the dog hiking advice
    ~Valley Girl~
    Northbound 2/28/14

http://valleygirl2014.wordpress.com

Since this post was regarding doggy beds.... How much of the dog should the mat cover? Should it be just big enough to cover beneath the dog if he's curled up? Or a little extra so that he's still covered for the most part if he sprawls out?

Images

I would go with a little extra, a thermarest foam pad cut down works pretty well and is light.

What about a doggie quilt?

I use a cut down thermarest zlite sol, doubles as my sit pad..currently use a cheap Wally World fleece throw and cover w my rain jacket and sny unworn cloths...19 lb jrt
    We just got back from a 2.5 day hike roan mtn area it was 10-15 deg in am he was lil chilly. Thinking about making a small down bag from a cheap jacket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ended up getting a z lite for him and cutting it down. He seems to approve and it looks as it will be a good sit pad.

I was torn between the zlite and ridge rest but decided the $15 was worth it for a pad that felt more comfortable, would stay flat (dog is a fussy sleeper and wouldn't want to fight his pad), and I wouldn't mind carrying it. Not regretting the decision.

++ New Posts ++