WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Guitar on the trail?

Hey all!

I'm planning on doing the entire AT this upcoming march, and I am juuuuuust starting to plan everything out. Late I know, but I know I can get it all done.

The first question that I need to figure out is.....is it practical to bring some type of guitar on the trail? I'm a huge guitarist, I play every day, and I think it would be so awesome to bring one along so I can play on the trail. But i have heard from multiple people to ditch the guitar because its just too much weight. Can anyone back this up?

i don't want it to be a burden, and most people I have talked to said that I would be too tired to play, but I disagree. I'm sure if there is any free time on the trail, I will bust it out and jam In the wilderness. I am also thinking about buying a cheap plastic kids guitar or an acoustic travel guitar, which is much smaller in size. Hopefully that would help out a lot.

A
    what do you guys think? I honestly don't think there is ANY way I'm not bring some type of guitar, I just wanted to see if anyone else has seen anyone bring one along, and if so, did they usually have some time to play it pretty extensively?

thanks!

popnfrsh

Images

its a burden but its great to have along.i didnt bring mine, but i met a guy on the bus to medway shelter stu who told me he played. met him on the trail a few days later and he was sitting around playing a beautiful taylor acoustic.let me play it for a while. few days later hooked up with some sobos ,mandela and terranauta, who had a small backpacker guitar. not as much fun as playing the taylor, but still cool. keeping it dry is the biggest issue, along with the extra weight. i love to play, but dont think i would ever pack one.
    shelter stu, by the way also had brought his dog, and seven bottles of wine, not found on most pack lists.
    as far as playing it, youll have some wholl enjoy your playing, many more who wont. discretion is advised

I've seen several thru-hikers who carry SMALL guitars or 3 string ukes on hikes. In my experiences, rarely does anyone haul even the smallest of stringed musical instruments the entire length of their thru- hikesl They either get tired of hauling and protecting it or someplace along the way it gets damaged. Obviously, if you are planning on taking a guitar or uke to a trail for extended periods these things might wisely be considered up front. Another thing you might consider is NOT ALL people will appreciate your strumming no matter how well you play, or think you play, or how popular the songs you choose to play. Not everyone will appreciate your perfect strumming around the perfect campfire creating the perfect camping scene!

Learn how to play a harmonica and you'll be set!

if you can play like dave gimour, larry keel or warren haynes the bring it. otherwise, no.

Popnfrsh... I heard you when you said, you love to play... it doesn't matter if you are good or not. If it makes you happy then you should bring it/ play it. Make sure you won't be worried about it getting banged up, along the way, as that will take away the fun of carrying it along with you. Personally, I LOVED hearing anyone who could play. I agree not everyone will love it but you will find that most will. Also, when you get to Trail Days they have a hikers talent show... you can play in that!

Images

My advice to you is find thru hikers here that will share your enthusiam of trail music that you can hike with leaving Springer. The odds of finding a receptive audience every night will be a challenge and you must know that not everyone will find your guitar playing soothing to the soul.

Be respectful of other people and you will find they will be more tolerant of you and your guitar playing.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

I've heard the pawn shop in Erwin is the place to find a good backpacker's guitar for cheap
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Had a friend who made a case for his, shaped to the guitar, our of Kelty pack cloth years ago. The case matched his pack exactly. He, or a group of friends who also played, carried that guitar about half way across the country. Whoever carried the guitar that day, got to play it in the evening. They would just strap the guitar to the back of their pack. Of course that was in the day of frame packs, so was easier to do. They played every night.

The guitar met it's initial demise outside a Laundromat in Kansas, I believe, when a car backed into the pack/guitar while it was leaning against a bench. It was resurrected with Elmers Glue and duct tape, and lasted another couple of months, but eventually succumbed to the injuries sustained.

All this to say, yes, you can carry a guitar if you want. And from what I witnessed, it will be played. Course, we weren't staying in shelters, so not sure how the social implications may work out.

Whatever you do, do not under any circumstances play "The Riddle Song."

There's always one person that tries to bring a guitar each year. Most don't finish the trail with it. I've become much more active in my playing the last year and have considered bringing one on my next hike. Most likely it would be a guitalele.
    http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-Guitar-...ords=guitalele

Quote Originally Posted by Popnfrsh24 View Post
    Hey all!

1. The first question that I need to figure out is.....is it practical to bring some type of guitar on the trail?

2. But i have heard from multiple people to ditch the guitar because its just too much weight. Can anyone back this up?

3. i don't want it to be a burden,

4. I am also thinking about buying a cheap plastic kids guitar or an acoustic travel guitar, which is much smaller in size. Hopefully that would help out a lot.

5.what do you guys think? I honestly don't think there is ANY way I'm not bring some type of guitar,

thanks!

popnfrsh
    forgive me slicing up you post, i've broken it down to just the questions

1. No, its not practical, don't let that stop you.
    2. Yes, it is 3-5 pounds of unnecessary weight, temptation to drop it will be there, but you're half an hour or two hours a night of playing may be a huge factor in keeping your head in the right place on the trail. Only you can make that decision, and you won't really know until you're out there.
    3. Even if you suck, I doubt anyone is gonna go Animal House on you.
    4. don't buy a kids plastic, they don't stay in tune for sheet. I suggest looking at (my worthless 2 cents) the martin backpacker, washburn rover (my choice), or a go guitar.
    5. Doesn't matter what anyone else thinks, this is your thru hike man. How long have you planned, dreamed, this is IT. Besides, you said it yourself, you honestly don't think there is ANY way you're not gonna bring a guitar. So pick a decent travel guitar or maybe try a ukelele. Worst that can happen is you pawn it in Erwin, or leave it trailside as Magic.

Alligator... this is a straight forward thread. Look at the post with the dancing banana + the goof ball. That statement is uncalled for and has NOTHING to do with bringing a guitar on the trail + the statement isn't even a true one.

oh geez.... ok ok, i apologize. save for that uncalled for and uncouth joke i think my response was more straight forward, more on topic, and and more relevant and specific than any other post in this thread... time out for me

I'd pick up one of the mini kid's acoustics at Wal-Mart. A friend of mine has one and we've taken it on hike before. It's not a good guitar by any means, but considering you will almost certainly not make it through the entire thru without damaging it it seems silly so spend any more. If money were no object I'd love a Martin Backpacker, but personally I wouldn't risk ruining or losing such a nice instrument.

Check eBay too, they have a lot of really cheapie guitars. I bought one for a penny (plus 29.95 shipping ) once and for the money it was about what I expected. For that little money you could buy a couple and arrange to have one mailed in every two months or so... They aren't going to last much more than that.

The Guitalele looks very cool too.

No matter what you do I'd bring plenty of strings and maybe a spare tuning machine; the last thing I'd want to do is carry a guitar that is no longer functional.

Wow my paragraph breaks disappeared... Sorry that hurts my eyes too.

Wow, I hope you do and I hope I run into you

Oneoldgoat

If you're willing to carry the weight, then go for it. I would suggest though, that you plan on not staying at the shelters. For every person who doesn't mind if you play, there will be one who ranks musical instruments on the trail right up there with the intrusion of cell phone conversations. It's their hike too, and you should be as considerate of their wishes as you hope they are of yours.

+1. As much as I enjoy music, I prefer peace and quiet when I am out there.
    Some people take the straight and narrow. Others the road less traveled. I just cut through the woods.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++