WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: How many boots?

Question How many boots?

Hello!

I'm getting together my thru hike for next year and I'm pondering boots, more specifically, if I can hear from some veterans out there how many pairs of boots you wore through during your thru hike? This would be helpful.

I've had a pair of solomon boots for 7 years and they're about done. They probably have about 350 miles of backpacking on them so according to strictly interpreted mathmatics I'd need 6 pairs of boots for my thru hike.

Dear god I hope not....

Images

I used 2 pairs on my thru hike this year. Got 1100 miles out of the first pair. Went the rest of the way with the second. You will most likely get different answers on this. It comes down to what kind, style, etc.
    " Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today"-James Dean

I wore Merrell Moab low cut hiking shoes on my AT hike. I did several hundred miles of training in Ohio with the first pair and they then lasted on the AT until Glasgow, VA. The second pair made it to Salisbury, CT, after getting beat up pretty well in PA. The third pair still looked pretty good when my hike ended near Chairback Gap Lean-to in ME

Images

First off I suspect you will find most thru hikers wear trail runners not boots. But you will get a better answer if you spell out what kind of boots you are planning to use. The other thing to consider is that people often wear shoes/boots way longer than they should. Often they use tread or upper wear as a gauge. But often they are shot well before the uppers even show real wear. My worn trail runners usually become my normal street shoes. As to your question.... For trail runners such as Salomon ax pros, lasportiva wildcats or brooks cascadias I replace after 500-600 miles. Your results WILL vary.

I suppose what I really wanted to know is if I should ask for the 2 for 1 special when I get my next pair. The answer seems to be yes, at least 2 for 1. Thanks folks.

++ New Posts ++