WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8

Anthony Hopkins can make fire from ice,just sayin'.

-

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    Humans have been building fires for hundreds of thousands of years. It amazes me that there are still some humans that need to endlessly discuss how to do it.
    back in the days of cave men, they spent a lot of time on internet forums discussing fire building

Above freezing,I find nothing beats a bic and a birthday candle.My favorite,though,is the little cigar type lighter you get at Wallyworld which weighs about an once vs .4 for a mini bic.In cold weather,keep bic in your pocket.I do carry a striker for backup along with some charcloth and tinder for those times when the wind favors it.

Quote Originally Posted by Traillium View Post
    Yep. My point is that firestarting can be a real challenge in difficult circumstances — and that the “tools carried between the ears” are remarkably sophisticated and non-trivial.
    Well … I didn’t get anywhere on my quest to make a fire kit totally from found materials while hiking. On our second day, I had a bad pratfall, gashed my head rather well, and decided to bandage it and walk out. No concussion symptoms; mostly the fear of infection and poor healing …

For those so inclined, check out http://http.wightman.ca/~mark.whitco..._friction.html

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8
++ New Posts ++