WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I'm not one for staying overnight at an AMC hut, but they certainly make the hike easier, particularly going through the Presidentials. They are avoidable, but as previously stated that usually means a detour off the ridge of about 1 mi and 1,000 vertical feet. If you are interested, there are a few different ways to do it, depending upon how many days you will take to do the Presi traverse. On the other hand, there is nothing wrong with staying in the huts if that is your preference.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmeh View Post
    I'm not one for staying overnight at an AMC hut, but they certainly make the hike easier, particularly going through the Presidentials. They are avoidable, but as previously stated that usually means a detour off the ridge of about 1 mi and 1,000 vertical feet. If you are interested, there are a few different ways to do it, depending upon how many days you will take to do the Presi traverse. On the other hand, there is nothing wrong with staying in the huts if that is your preference.
    I have heard others lament dropping 1000 feet from the ridge. While that could be considered a burden in many situations, the trail down to The Perch is a delight and something that hikers should look forward to enjoying, rather than thinking of those extra steps as a negative.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    I have heard others lament dropping 1000 feet from the ridge. While that could be considered a burden in many situations, the trail down to The Perch is a delight and something that hikers should look forward to enjoying, rather than thinking of those extra steps as a negative.
    i agree, just enjoy the ride.the rmc camps are all in great spots and the scenery is spectacular into the ravines, and definitely a good alternative to madison hut

Plenty easy to avoid the huts...

good to know that, rickb & hikerboy. i was pretty bushed by the time i got to madison hut, couldn't fathom the idea of hiking further. i had the perch noted in my plans, but hard to imagine how much further. had i known better, i would've pushed on. however, when we arrived at madison, the evening weather was quickly changing to bad, as can happen up there. i was more focused on how far it would be to the osgood tent sites, descening the osgood trail. . .tough one.

.com

I agree that the Perch provides a nice alternative to the huts and the side trail to it is not burdensome - as I recall, about .9 mile. I stayed there on my first hike in the Whites, hiking SOBO from Pinkham to Franconia in '82. However I must say that early July evening at the Perch was one of the worst black fly occurrences I ever experienced.

Images

From looking over the maps, I'm thinking the dungeon at Lake of the Clouds might be the only hut I'll stay at. Are there any camping spots near Pinkham? Depending on how I do I might have to stay there.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingbee View Post
    From looking over the maps, I'm thinking the dungeon at Lake of the Clouds might be the only hut I'll stay at. Are there any camping spots near Pinkham? Depending on how I do I might have to stay there.
    I belive the dungeon is strickly for thru-hikers and there will be pleanty of those coming through there in August. The Dungeon only holds 4, I understand it's pretty rank down there and it still costs to use it. Unfortunetly, unless you can do a pretty long day, staying at Lake is the only option. Paying full price and mingling with the other tourists just this once is worth it.

Using the Perch instead of Madison is a good idea. You can use alturnative trails to get back up to the ridge line to save some miles. If you go over to Crag Camp, you might not want to leave. I could sit on that front porch all summer. In fact I did do that once.

Camping anywhere near Pinkham notch which would be close enought to be useful is strickly forbiden. There are three choices when you get to the notch. 1, stay at the AMC facility 2, continue on towards Carter Notch or 3, hitch into Gorham. Typcially, the parking lot at Pinkham stays more or less full all summer and it holds a lot of cars.

A trip to the White Mountains isn't cheap and hiking the AT is one of the more expensive ways to vist here. Here's an alturnative trip which I think has more bang for the buck. It also builds in some flexability for possible weather issues. Either if your driving up or taking the bus, it is also easier logistically as it will be eaiser to get back to your car.

Hike to Crag Camp with supplies for 4-5 days, then use it as a base camp to stage day hikes above tree line. At $13 a night, it's the best bargin in the White Mountains. Staying at Crag would let you spend some quality time above tree line. You can mix it up by going over to The Perch for a couple nights to make doing Jefferson or a hike to Mt. Washington and back easier.

Once you've spent a few days wandering around Madison, Adams and Jefferson, you'll be ready to tackle the Mahoosuc's without being too beat up when you get there. Leave your car parked in Gorham and then hitch back around when you get to Grafton Notch.
    Last edited by Slo-go'en; 12-01-2012 at 00:37.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I absolutely agree. If I were starting from Crawford Notch heading north, I would likely stay at Nauman tent site, then haul the second day over to one of the RMC sites. That second day is a haul though, around 12 miles on the AT and more if you want to hit the summits. And I cannot really see doing it without hitting the summits.

Plan on halving your daily mileage in the Whites until you get a feel for what works for you.
    Enjoy the scenery...-Wingwing

http://randolphmountainclub.org/shel.../theperch.html

The Perch is a small shelter. Gray Knob, a bit farther on, is an enclosed cabin with bunks, a bit beyond that is Crag Camp, which is situated on the edge of a large ravine and which has spectacular views. Use the provided link above to check out the other Randolph Mountain Club facilities - all self-serve, I believe. It's pretty easy to loop off the ridge down to the RMC facilities, then loop back to the Gulfside Trail (the AT in the Presidentials) just below Mt. Madison.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Watch the late afternoon weather and know what an approaching thunderstorm looks like.

I got caught above treeline in the Whites during an August late afternoon thunderstorm and it was the scariest thing I have ever experienced.

Time has not made it "a fun story to tell", it was truly horrible.

I hiked the Franconia ridge and other trails near the area the last few days of august this past summer. It was beautiful. windy as hell above the tree line but perfect otherwise.
    Gradual Change You Can Believe in.

Live deliberately.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++