WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Yes

I started my thru in '09 w/ the 70. It was obvious that I was MUCH heavier that most others. I changed to a ULA Catalyst in Damascus and couldn't be any happier. I used the Catalyst in '11 on a SOBO and it only confirmed the choice. Lately I've moved to the UL camp, but I keep looking longingly at the Catalyst fot the upcoming '13 hike.

Images

I own an Aether 85, and yes it is "heavy" (I think after I chopped a couple things, the final comes in right at 5 pounds), BUT I also think the Aether series of packs carry weight as well as any packs I've owned, meaning they are very "efficient" for carrying heavier total loads. I own an old Dana Design Terraplane, 7.5 pounds, no more comfortable than the Aether.

I used my Aether 85 to carry upwards of 70 pounds on a Denali expedition last year. (16 days of food & fuel, technical gear, frigid condition clothing, etc). That all being said, I could not imagine using an Aether for the AT, even the 70 liter, but we all have our Modus Operandi, and if yours is to carry 40-50 pounds on a regular basis, the Aether would be a fine choice.

So, I've managed to scrape together enough for a new pack. I was eyeballing the Osprey Exos 58 but from what people are saying, it seems like it may start falling apart with consistent loads of 30-35lbs. Moutaintop and Drybones, I saw online that the "Max Carry Weight" of the Granite Gear Crown 60 is supposedly 35lbs, but I was wondering how much weight y'all carried with it and how it worked out? As of now I've got my eyes on one of the Atmos series. I was looking at the 50, but the max carry weight of 35lbs kind of scares me as that was the Mariposa's supposed max weight as well.

Check out the ULA Circuit. It handles 35 lbs. without issue and is a great piece of gear.

Images

I bought myself an Osprey Exos 58 for the Holidays, have been wearing it on hikes a few times each week, adding 5lbs per week, REALLY IMPRESSED. I was looking for more total support than my ULA, have plenty of back and hip pain issues, this seems to be helping having a "beefier" frame.

Pretty light, ton of cool features..............next Section hike this Spring will tell the tale.

Sounds like you will be buying a new pack for your journey...............one of my mandatory items are pockets on the hip belt, really handy. That eliminated many companies right there for me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++