WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Beast Mode View Post
    It is next to impossible to average more than 30 miles a day for more than a few days on the AT, and you would be trying for 36+.
    Next to impossible is way too strong especially since there is a hiker currently on the trail doing well over a 30mpd average and it is november. I know quite a few hikers that would no issue with averaging 30mpd on the AT. Now as far as the starting March 1st, this seems insane. It will be hard enough to average 36 with long days, better weather and no snow. Why stack the cards against yourself? I would start no earlier than May 1st. And I'm curious how effective you can monitor the weather. A March start date leaves you open for some pace slowing weather at any point on the trail.

Without knowing anything about this guy's experiance level and abilities, I hate to say it can't be done, but it can't be done. The fact that he wants to start in March is an indication he is clueless as to trail and weather conditions during that time of year. It seems that those who never hiked the AT are the ones who think they can do it in record time.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by joshgarrison View Post
    My name is Josh Garrison, I am announcing my self supported attempt of the AT in the spring of 2013.
    Josh, if you are surprised at the reaction you are getting you should know that every year people - with no apparent resume - announce on this site that they are going to break this or that record the upcoming season. They usually disappear from sight shortly after they start and they realize they have no chance.

My "favorite" was the guy who announced last year that he was going to SHATTER the record. Even got written up in the local newspaper. On the first day of his training hike - he was going to hike from somewhere in the NE to Katahdin and then turn around and start his record hike - he got rained on and quit. Never even started his hike.

Josh, if you are serious and want to give yourself a fighting chance, I would definitely wait until Summer and go SOBO. You might also want to contact Jennifer Pharr Davis for tips on the psychological aspects of a speed hike. Good luck!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    Josh, if you are surprised at the reaction you are getting you should know that every year people - with no apparent resume - announce on this site that they are going to break this or that record the upcoming season. They usually disappear from sight shortly after they start and they realize they have no chance.

My "favorite" was the guy who announced last year that he was going to SHATTER the record. Even got written up in the local newspaper. On the first day of his training hike - he was going to hike from somewhere in the NE to Katahdin and then turn around and start his record hike - he got rained on and quit. Never even started his hike.
    im not sure why anyone would post their intentions here.you can anticipate some skepticism.
    i did notice however, that he hasnt posted since, which makes me think hes serious about it, and just didnt wait around for the naysayers, just made his stamement of intent, and promptly left the building.
    it would be great to hear from him telling us that hes done it.if hes spending 3 months in africa, hes only going to have a months rest before his attempt, although a march start, ill agree doesnt make too much sense.
    we'll see.

Images

assuming he leaves march 1st and maintains a record setting pace, does anyone terribly familiar with baxter and all the rules know when the last time katahdin was open to hikers wanting to summit on april 29th or sooner?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    assuming he leaves march 1st and maintains a record setting pace, does anyone terribly familiar with baxter and all the rules know when the last time katahdin was open to hikers wanting to summit on april 29th or sooner?
    hed still be wading through snow to get there.id agree that the best way would be to start nobo around may1

the best way is to start in july at katahdin and go SOBO. get the first 400 miles out of the way while he's still fresh

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    the best way is to start in july at katahdin and go SOBO. get the first 400 miles out of the way while he's still fresh

Yes, go SOBO if you are truly serious in giving it a try. July is an excellent month

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Here is a very interesting graphic showing different year's relative snow levels for Vermont. 2001 is the year that Flyin Brian started northbound on the AT during his triple crown hike. You can easily see that this was a very bad year to make that choice. In contrast this last year would have been the perfect year to either do a triple crown attempt or as the OP plans, an early speed hike.

http://173.193.223.192/~bestsnow/vrmthist.htm

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    hed still be wading through snow to get there.id agree that the best way would be to start nobo around may1

sure, but my point is that even if he can wade through the snow to get there whats the point if odds are he wouldnt be allowed to finish the hike?

Images

its kinda funny that he put his post up and left, leaving us to endlessly debate how it should be done.maybe hes smarter than we think.

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    im not sure why anyone would post their intentions here.you can anticipate some skepticism.
    i did notice however, that he hasnt posted since, which makes me think hes serious about it, and just didnt wait around for the naysayers, just made his stamement of intent, and promptly left the building.
    it would be great to hear from him telling us that hes done it.if hes spending 3 months in africa, hes only going to have a months rest before his attempt, although a march start, ill agree doesnt make too much sense.
    we'll see.
    He's watching, he was on this morning at 9:09.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Maybe he is just trolling. If this is the case he caught a cooler full

Quote Originally Posted by canoe View Post
    Maybe he is just trolling. If this is the case he caught a cooler full
    He did give his e-mail which is an e-mail on a server at westmont college in Santa Barbara, Ca
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

must be a teacher/preacher he graduated in 07

Quote Originally Posted by canoe View Post
    must be a teacher/preacher he graduated in 07
    or still using his college email from 6 years ago...which is possible

Images

Nature Boy was crushing the record until he got bonked on the head outside of Waynesboro. Would be cautious posting too accurately as to your position on the trail.

Default Effect of resupplying on daily mileage

Seems to me that the wild card is how long it takes him to resupply. Given that he's unsupported and probably going as light as possible i.e. only a few days worth of food, has he factored time to hitch from the trailhead to town, buy his food at a decent store, hitch back to the Trail? What about showers, laundry? With his ambitious schedule, he probably can't spend a night in town taking in amenities unless his arrival is at the end of his 36 mile day.

Some towns are easier to get to than others.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++