WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Lightheart Solo or Tarptent Moment

I am going to upgrade my tent for a 2013 thru. I currently have a 5 lb front entry Clip Flashlight. I want a side entry. I think I have narrowed it down to a Lightheart Solo or a Tarptent Moment. I personally have only seen pics af these tents. I would appreciate comments from those that have personal experience. thx Sojo

Images

I have the moment. Love the ease of set up and that it can be free standing with the extra pole. It does get some condensation but I haven't experianced any that a quick wipe with a camp towel didn't take care of. Actually used this tent one night in January last year when it got down to 18 degrees with a 4 degree chill factor. Would not recommend trying this without a good pad and a very good sleeping bag.
    "The difficult can be done immediately, the impossible takes a little longer"

Images

Lightheart Solo, but add the wedge (to help avoid condensation) it is an awesome tent! and it just happens to be on sale right now!!!

Images

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...st-Impressions

I bought this: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...lo-with-Awning for $190 to see if it was better than my SoLong 6. I still like my SoLong 6 better. I just like a a bit more room. I got the 8.5 oz tent poles from LightHeart Gear as I don't use trekking poles.

I'll be more than happy to sell the Solo for $175 shipped minus the awning pole. I took a chance (actually asked point blank about problems) and was very pleased with the tent's condition. Send me a PM if interested.

Or anyone else. It'll be on the For Sale thread tomorrow, probably.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Images

LightHeart Gear is having a sale right now www,lightheartgear.com

Journal Entries

I'm going with the Lunar Solo from Six Moon Designs and I can't wait to get it!

I have the Lightheart Solo and have used a friends Moment. My opinion is to go with the Lightheart Solo. I have the non awning version and have not had much trouble with condensation even while camping near water. There is great ventilation if needed to help prevent condensation. Personally I do not see the need for the awning and the extra ounces! The Lightheart is very easy and quick to set up even in a torrential downpour, spoken from experience, and is a great 3 season shelter.

Try it, you will like it...

NCmedic

Images

I have a Moment, and I like it. However, if I were buying a new solo shelter today, I would probably get a Tarptent Notch.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Pick one... flip a coin or something.

This is like the question somebody asked the other day about which bag is better, Mont Bell or Western Mountaineering.

My answer was whichever one you can reach first...

GA-ME 2011
    Images

packrat, in the past SMD has done a sale in February for returned items that they resell at a discount. I picked up my Lunar Solo for $50 off and could not find what was wrong with it or where it was repaired.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Pick one... flip a coin or something.

This is like the question somebody asked the other day about which bag is better, Mont Bell or Western Mountaineering.

My answer was whichever one you can reach first...
    +1. Both great companies with high-quality products.

Incidentally, my son took a Tarptent Rainbow on his thru this year. He was very pleased with it, but after seeing a Squall 2 out there thought that would be his choice if he had to choose again. Note that each of these, and the Lightheart Solo, are roomier than the Moment.

++ New Posts ++