Default AT to FT Transition

I am pretty fresh off of my AT MEGA trip and still have the hiking bug. I am contemplating a through-hike, sorry I meant end-to-end hike, of the Florida Trail as my next adventure. I know there are a lot of logistical obstacles involved in doing a FT end-to-end (permits, memberships, etc.), and I have read the FTA site concerning those issues. My question for the forum is: for those who have hiked both the AT and the FT, what are the biggest gear changes that I need to be considering? What are going to be my biggest on-trail obstacles that I may not be anticipating with my outlook geared toward AT hiking? And sorry, I do not have a copy of the FT Data Book or maps in front of me (the FTA site says they are sold out, so not sure how I am going to get my hands on those, though I will probably contact the FTA to see what is going on with that).

Any other tips / pointers would also be appreciated since right now I am not even sure where I am supposed to be starting (is the southern terminus for an end-to-end the Oasis Visitors Center or the Loop Road?).

I did the hike in 1993 but I believe the Loop Rd is still considered the terminus of the FT. Be ready for some water walks. It depends on the rain but I've walked through water almost chest high. You need a tent with a fine mesh bug netting. I use an old pair of trail runners now to do water walks. In 93 I tried to do some water walking barefoot but for me it was just unnerving not knowing what I was going to step on. If you are going to start in early January I would carry a SB that is good to below freezing. I carry a rectangular bag that unzips to make a quilt like cover for most night. But on those nights where the temps dips to below freezing I can zip it up.
    I do quite a bit of AT hiking too and for the most part I use the same gear in winter in Fl as I do for spring and fall on the southern AT.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Images

I have a photo that I shot in '03 or so of an FT trailhead in Big Cypress, it shows the trail, a blaze, and an egret in the middle of the trail, all in about 2 feet of water. Looked like fun, but way different than the AT.

I have a guidebook that I got from the FTA a couple of years ago for a spring break hike in Ocala NF. If they can't get you the book in time, send me a PM and I'll mail it to you.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

aka Kudzu
    Images

I wouldn't expect new maps anytime soon. I believe they're waiting to see how things shake out with the proposed re-routes.

I think a lot of folks have this misconception about the Florida Trail being so easy because it's pretty much flat. However, I think what it avoids in ups and downs it makes up for through various other conditions. There are plenty of sections where you may encounter water as others have mentioned. The fine sugar sand can also get your calves burning pretty quickly and I know folks that have hobbled away with silver dollar-sized blisters. Many areas are more remote and don't get the maintenance like the AT does. Take into consideration hurricanes/tropical storms/wildfires and you can end up with a ton of blowdowns, debris, and overgrowth. In the NE FL section we do our best to stay on top of it but the palmetto and vines grow like the devil. I remember hiking around Ocala and I think I spent as much time crawling over and under things as I did walking.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Images

Get ahold of Chuck Norris through the FTA. You will meet him on your hike anyway... He has the info you need.
    Last edited by chiefduffy; 11-25-2012 at 09:06.
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. -Kahlil Gibran

they have books and maps available - i talked to them today

I did a thru hike of the AT in 2004 and thru hiked the FNST in 2009-2010. While the FNST is easier as far as pointless ups and downs, it's harder because of the water you have to walk through, particularly at the southern end. On the AT you have to worry about bears, on the FNST you have to worry about alligators and bears. There is some argument about whether to start at Loop Rd or the Oasis Visitor Center. We started at Loop Rd, even though it was under reconstruction at the time. We came in from the east instead of the west, but at the time it was a long bumpy ride. If it helps any, you're talking about one days hike, most of the time in ankle to knee deep water. For now, it's up to you where you start. If and when you get to about White Springs, FL make sure to hike the trail along the Suwanee River. If it's flooded due to rain, wait for it to clear. You don't want to miss that section.

For now, the FTA is going through some pains as the Forest Service, for reasons none of us can explain, wants to reengineer our trail to be a multi-use trail to include bicycles and horses along it's whole path. The members of FTA object to this. We spent the last forty of so years building the trail and don't relish the idea of being run over by bicycles or trampled by horses. The Forest Service thinks they are going to save a lot of money by shortening our trail and allowing it to be multi-use. The expense they are not looking at is how much they are going to spend maintaining the trails when we, the hikers, refuse to maintain bicycle and horse trails. The Forest Service had a comment period which is now closed and are now analysing the data. We don't know how that will play out for now. Hopefully, you will be able to hike the trail without all the politics effecting you.

aka Kudzu
    Images

If you're hiking north you'll hit the Suwannee along the way to White Springs. I agree, it's a beautiful section.

I'd say that another problem hikers face is the lack of good water sources. It's not like we have mountain streams to use. Your water will typically come from small creeks or ponds which may be very difficult to get to. I had some friends from GA come down and they hiked about 17 miles from Alexander Springs to Juniper Springs with hardly any opportunity for water. So I'd carry more than you normally do. Due to the frequent burns it's not uncommon to walk through scorched earth with no cover. Kiss the long green tunnel goodbye.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

++ New Posts ++