WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default latest news about changes for Thru-hikers in the Smokies.

I received the following e-mail today from the NPS public affairs reguarding changes for 2013 for transiting the Great Smokey Mt National Park along the Appalachian trail as an AT thru-hiker.
    "There will be a $20 flat fee for AT Thru hikers. They currently have 7 days to get through the park. That will not change.
    AT thru hikers will not have to specify at which shelters they will stay on which nights.
    The ATC is currently working to get updated information to AT guidebook publishers." Unquote

I guess this means that if you are in the class of 2013 you will at some point like the NOC or Fontana call the park or use a computer, have your credit card ready, pay the 20 bucks. You pick your start date and they will give you 7 days to get through the park. They do state on the NPS web page that if you get into bad weather in the park they will adjust your dates.

The gsmnp web page under the left side management section has most of this information, they said they will update the"frequently asked questions" to reflect the info for thru-hikers soon.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Seven day limit, hope you don't have to hole up due to weather or decide to take a few zeros in Gatlinburg.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Images

Thanks for the info, Moldy!

Images

If thru-hikers have to pay, I sure hope that eliminates the dayhiker priority in shelters. That's bollocks if you ask me.
    Punchline - GA-VA 2012

some challenges for the NPS and for thru hikers:

NPS: how will this be enforced? will they have AT ridge runners or AT shelter caretakers like GMC does in Vermont?

AT Thru hikers: I have no issue paying the $20, glad to help fund park maintenance and opns if I use the trail. But, it is many times not easy to predict your daily mileage in that park on the AT and what shelters u will stay at on what nights. Weather and physical condition dictates daily mileage. Where will hikers fill out the reservation and pay the $20? Will there be a kiosk at Fontana or Davenport Gap for thru hikers to electronically file this info and pay the fee? It's not practical to expect thru hikers to travel off the trail to one of the current GSMNP visitor centers to take care of all this.

Default latest news about changes for Thru-hikers in the Smokies.

Like Moldy said, I don't mind paying. I just don't want to have to estimate when iII will be there so I can do it in advance or have to leave the trail to find a ranger station. Im not familiar with the area so maybe finding a station is no big deal.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Just curious that we only ever had 7 days to go through (stating the policy as "unchanged")? That's news to me...

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Journal Entries
    Images

Thru Hikers don't like paying fees. It will lead to illegal camping and stealthing, guaranteed.

Hiking Blog

This is a very significant development as, for the first time I am aware of in its history, the AT will no longer be free to use. It also sets a very bad precedent for other management agencies that control access to the AT. I can see the day when every nat'l park, state park, nat'l forest, and wildlife management area through which the trail passes will levy fees and have its own permitting procedures that will make a through-hike a burden financially (as if funding a through-hike is "cheap" now) and cumbersome logistically. Further, I have never understood why these issues have been so vexing in the GSMNP and so easy in Shenandoah NP. They are very similar parks, yet in Shenandoah it's as easy as stopping for four minutes to fill-out a registration slip and standard first-come, first-served at shelters while the entire process is irritating, confusing, and now costly at GSMNP. I hope the ATC will lead the fight against these changes.

So, like.... If I'm still 20 miles short after a week, what are they gonna do? Force me to walk out?
    Double Wide is now BLUEBERRY
    Northbound (2nd Attempt) March 2017

Georgetown, South Carolina, United States
    Images

My understanding is that they simply expect a hiker to be through the smokies in 7 days. bad weather, illness or other extenuating circumstances are to be understood as good reasons to take a bit longer. Nobody is standing at the other end checking your start date and slapping your wrist if you took 8 days. What they are trying to avoid with the 7-day policy is a hiker that decides to stop and stay for a few days to rest and enjoy the scenery. As for the $20 - as long as it goes to park maintenance and does not get skimmed for some other purpose, I have no problem paying it.
    Everyone's first question:
    "Wow - How tall are you?"
    Answer: "I'm 6'6""
    Ergo, my trail name: 'Six-Six'

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Double Wide View Post
    So, like.... If I'm still 20 miles short after a week, what are they gonna do? Force me to walk out?
    Yep take the AT on outta there. lol

Hiking Blog

Journal Entries
    Images

Fees are likely necessary with the tremendous use the park gets and the tight budgets the parks face.
    But again, many thru hikers are notorious for the give me, I deserve it, attitude. Still there is hope of compliance - they are only two weeks into their thru hike when they reach the Smokies, so the attitude isn't perfected yet. By the Whites, it is.

Hiking Blog

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    Just curious that we only ever had 7 days to go through (stating the policy as "unchanged")? That's news to me...
    It's news to me, as well. Granted I was through in 3 days this spring, the idea of a hard limit is kinda odd to me. And not something I'd heard before.

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    Thru Hikers don't like paying fees. It will lead to illegal camping and stealthing, guaranteed.
    Especially with the other regulations that exist for thru hikers in the Smokies, I can definitely see people doing this to "protest" the regulations or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Six-Six View Post
    My understanding is that they simply expect a hiker to be through the smokies in 7 days. bad weather, illness or other extenuating circumstances are to be understood as good reasons to take a bit longer. Nobody is standing at the other end checking your start date and slapping your wrist if you took 8 days. What they are trying to avoid with the 7-day policy is a hiker that decides to stop and stay for a few days to rest and enjoy the scenery. As for the $20 - as long as it goes to park maintenance and does not get skimmed for some other purpose, I have no problem paying it.
    They just had a SOBO hiker that had to be rescued because they were trying to push through to bad weather. I really don't know why they think the limit promotes any kind of safety, especially after that situation. And I'd have no problem paying the $20, as long as a day hiker/section hiker can't come into the shelter and force me to give up my spot on the platform again.
    Punchline - GA-VA 2012

Images

And I'd have no problem paying the $20, as long as a day hiker/section hiker can't come into the shelter and force me to give up my spot on the platform again.

Or just let me set up my tent, even if there's space at the shelter.

Images

AT Thruhikers pay to stay overnight in Baxter State Park. It's a small price to pay for the privilege to hike Katahdin.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Quote Originally Posted by RWheeler View Post
    If thru-hikers have to pay, I sure hope that eliminates the dayhiker priority in shelters. That's bollocks if you ask me.
    No, it will not change. Everyone pays now so it's a non-issue, in other words everyone is equal in that respect.

The whole point of non-thru's having priority in the shelter is because they reserved it; that's the way it has always been and this policy doesn't change it. If a thru-hiker tries to say use the first come, first served, then he is taking someone's reserved spot, assuming everyone is there for the night.

Good Point Double Wide. It is not that difficult to get through the Smokies in seven days but I hate it when limits are put on the hike.

Quote Originally Posted by Plodderman View Post
    Good Point Double Wide. It is not that difficult to get through the Smokies in seven days but I hate it when limits are put on the hike.
    but you make a CHOICE to thru-hike. gotta deal with the rules. you could skip the park too.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    AT Thruhikers pay to stay overnight in Baxter State Park. It's a small price to pay for the privilege to hike Katahdin.
    Baxter State park was purchased and endowed by a private citizen.

Our National Parks were not. They really are our Parks.

Our national musuem -- The Smithsonian -- has free admission for all, and rightfully so IMHO. Ask yourself why some found that so important.

Then ask yourself why that same reasoning should not apply to other National Treasures.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++