WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pocket Knives

Default Pocket Knives

Here is a new article that tests some knives in different price ranges: Pocket Knives Review. With Christmas coming up, I think that I'll need to put a new knife on my list and leave it on my desk in the hopes that the Mrs. will find it and not buy me socks again this year.

Thanks for sharing, I have had a knife in my pocket continuously since I turned 8 years old and have "retired" a number of knives, as they were just worn out.
    "You have brains in your head/You have feet in your shoes/You can steer yourself in any direction you choose." - Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by 4Bears View Post
    Thanks for sharing, I have had a knife in my pocket continuously since I turned 8 years old and have "retired" a number of knives, as they were just worn out.
    All the Boy Scouts, and a few of the Girl Scouts, all carried pocket knives at school when I was younger. The teachers knew about and didn't consider it a big deal. Not like today! A kid up the road in Pawtucket, RI got suspended for bringing a PLASTIC picnic knife to school so he could butter his bread at lunchtime. Pre-9/11, I even carried a SAK on a plane. Never had a problem with the baggage screeners.

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Quote Originally Posted by atraildreamer View Post
    All the Boy Scouts, and a few of the Girl Scouts, all carried pocket knives at school when I was younger. The teachers knew about and didn't consider it a big deal. Not like today
    Teachers, too, can't carry knives including the tiniest SAK or multi tool. Scissors you could butcher a steer with, sure, but no knives.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

My grandma carried a pocket knife in school to sharpen her pencil. She said she didn't use it much, just winked at one of the boys. Twenty-two rifles were stacked in the back of the room 'til after school.

I carry a pocket knife when I'm teachin' school.

Quote Originally Posted by swjohnsey View Post

You may be (gasp!) violating district policy! How can you live with yourself?
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Journal Entries
    Images

Here are some problems I have with this article:

• It's an advertisement for Amazon. Amazon already has too much power.
    • The amount of perpendicular force the blade can handle is more important to me than sharpness. This isn't mentioned.
    • You don't list the percentages of carbon and chromium in the blades.

Good job on the photos.
    David Smolinski

Lets not forget the Hinderer's, the Chris Reeve Knives and the Striders! As a new "collector" these are definitely on my list! The ZT 0550 is on my Christmas list this year and I have a feeling that Santa will be bringing it by! I also like my Benchmade and all my Spyderco's too though... I just ordered a PM2 with the Digicamo G-10 scales and the black DLC blade last night! Can't wait for it to get here...

However, I will admit, all of the above mentioned knives are my EDC knives and I would not carry them backpacking. For me, they are much more than I need. For backpacking, at the moment I have a simple Ka-Bar Mini Dozier in bright orange (and truth-be-told, it is a little more than I need even for backpacking). However, I would like to swap it out for a Spyderco LadyBug in yellow with H1...
    ...take nothing but memories and pictures, leave nothing but footprints, and kill only time... (Bette Filley in Discovering the Wonders of the Wonderland Trail)

Journal Entries
    Images

Your review of the Bear Grylls Scout Knife is pretty accurate. It IS light. Kind of hard to believe until you pick it up. I see it as you said, kind of an all around workhorse for general stuff. That's why I am going to try it on my thru hike of CDT. Start in May 2013.
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

weights would also be nice to know..

Images

i've never carried a folding knife hiking or camping. since its used for food also i always thought food particles would get in the mechanism.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Check out http://www.equipped.com/ , some great knives and survival info.

Journal Entries

When I was in cub scouts, the cub scout pocket knife was worn with uniform, clipped to belt usually , when wore uniform to school on meeting days. That was third grade. No one gave it a thought.

Are there any laws in the states the AT crosses, which limit the size or whatever of a pocket knive?

that's a good point kayak; never thought about like that. I have noticed dirt, dust and kunk of all sorts on the groove of my locking blades

Images

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    i've never carried a folding knife hiking or camping. since its used for food also i always thought food particles would get in the mechanism.
    They do. Oh the things I did when I thru-hiked...

Thanks for the review link. Backpackers as a rule seem to favor carrying overkill knives when something small and simple will do. Like below---

Default Recipe for disaster...

[QUOTE=cabbagehead;1364585...The amount of perpendicular force the blade can handle is more important to me than sharpness. This isn't mentioned. ...[/QUOTE]

The duller the knife, the more perpendicular force needs to be applied to make the cut. The harder you push, the greater the probability that the knife is going to jump and/or slip, causing you to cut yourself. A good, sharp edge reduces the force needed to make the cut and reduces the possibility of the knife slicing the user.

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Images

Quote Originally Posted by swjohnsey View Post

You ain't the only one. The Asst. Principal borrowed mine the other day.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Images

I do not recommend small plastic handled knives as they will collapse on you while whittling. It ain't fun giving yourself stitches in the middle of nowhere.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++