Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Kennedy and Toulumne Meadows maildrops

I'm finalizing my maildrops for the PCT and am wondering about how many days of food I will need to mail to myself at these two locations. For the Kennedy Meadows maildrop, my next resupply will be via Kearsarge Pass and will include the side trip to Mt. Whitney. From Toulumne Meadows it looks like the next resupply isn't until South Lake Tahoe which would be the longest distance I've ever gone in between resupplies. I also understand that is a difficult section of trail. Any ideas how many days of food to carry between those two resupplies?

Well of course it depends on how many miles a day you plan on hiking but you'll probably need 6 days from KM to Kearsarge Pass Trail, and 8-10 from TM to South Lake Tahoe.

TM has a good store so you'll only have to send hard to get items. You'll also want to consider sending a drop to Vermillion Valley resort, it's 87 miles from KPT. From KPT to TM is 152.

Check out Craig's PCT Planner... weigh all you options, adjusting speed, hours hiked, etc

http://www.pctplanner.com/

Go to the PCT resupply section at the PCT website. The typical resupply possiblities will be clearer.

KM to Indy via Kearsarge Pass is about 100 miles.

There are several additional resupply possibilities betwen TM and S Lake Tahoe. No need for that much of a food haul! Summitting Mt Whitney, which IS NOT directly on the PCT(it's the terminus of the JMT), requires a separate side hike. Most PCT thru-hikers take about 1/2 to 3/4 extra day doing Mt Whitney, depends on how you arrange for the extra miles though. Factor that into you trail food requirements.

How much food you need to haul between resupply pts is based on factors like anticipated MPD, trail conditions when you actually hike the PCT through the Sierras, etc. By the time PCT thru-hikers hit the Sierras they are in thru-hiking condition so the harder hiking is realtive to the harder hiking terrain.

Sorry, should have read - By the time PCT thru-hikers hit the Sierras they are in thru-hiking condition so the harder hiking terrain is relative.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    Well of course it depends on how many miles a day you plan on hiking but you'll probably need 6 days from KM to Kearsarge Pass Trail, and 8-10 from TM to South Lake Tahoe.

TM has a good store so you'll only have to send hard to get items. You'll also want to consider sending a drop to Vermillion Valley resort, it's 87 miles from KPT. From KPT to TM is 152.

Check out Craig's PCT Planner... weigh all you options, adjusting speed, hours hiked, etc

http://www.pctplanner.com/
    Thank you for the reply, I'll be headed into Mammoth Lakes to break up that long section between KM and Toulumne. VVR looks $$$ but maybe it's worth it to break that section up better? I could do 25ish mile days on the Colorado Trail when I had to so I'm hoping to do 20ish on those sections. I was thinking 6 days from KM and 8 days from Toulumne so thanks for making me feel better about that. My GF who is hiking with me can dehydrate 6-8oz meals so hopefully those 8 days of food aren't too heavy leaving Toulumne.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post

There are several additional resupply possibilities betwen TM and S Lake Tahoe. No need for that much of a food haul!
    I must have written that off because it said "annoying hitch" in Yogi's guidebook. Now I see it. Any preference towards Bridgeport or Kennedy Meadows Resort?

where i am now, which might not be where i am tomorrow

if you're not picky or broke like i was (and always am), you can get all you need from the stores at both places and eliminate the cluster-fizzznuck of maildrop logistics.

I did S. Lake Tahoe to Tuolumne this summer. I've hiked the JMT in 2004. Fairly familiar w/ this area. Vermillian is pricey. Good food, tho. When I was there, 1st night & 1st beer was free. I they charged for handling the resupply ($11?). I used Vermillian to resupply when hiking the Sierras in 1998 & 1999. In 2004, I used Muir Trail Ranch for resupply (further south of Vermillian). It's only a short distance off the trail. Expensive resupply and you must mail your food in a 5-gal paint bucket (to keep the mice at bay).

As you go north from MTR (or Vermillian), you can resupply @ Red Meadows (close to the trail) or catch a shuttle down the hill to the resort of Mammoth Lake. When you go north of Tuolumne Meadows, resupply can be difficult. Around mile 997, there is a side trail to Bond Pass that will go to Kennedy Meadows North where you can resupply. It's a steep drop going that way (steep climb for me coming the other way). Or, you can wait until you reach Hwy 108 (Sonora Pass). From there, you can go west (left) to Kennedy Meadows for about 11 M (hitch) or go east (right) to Bridgeport for about 33 M (hitch). I talked to one set of thru-hikers that sat almost the entire day trying to catch a ride out of Bridgeport back to the trail. The several thru-hikers I talked to at Kennedy Meadows North didn't have any problems hitching a ride there.

North of Sonora Pass, there's nothing really available until you get to Echo Lake Resort (where you have to buy any water that you want; the store won't let you fill your water bottles).

KM is a great gathering place for PCTers making final preparations to hit the Sierras in earnest. There's usually a loaded hiker box there and some supplemental food for purchase as well as providing holding boxes.

VVR, Muir Trail Ranch and Reds Meadow can all be factored into the haul from Indy via Kearsarge Pass to TM to lessen the haul or just by supplementing at any all of these places. It depends on how much time you are willing to devote to leaving and getting back to the PCT. It depends on your hiking style, trail conditions, and obviously MPD.

I'm biased though. I love going into Mammoth Lakes via Reds Meadow for some R & R, coffee(Beanery has the best coffee in ML), browsing the gear stores, a cold draft, etc. Besides, the FREE hot hot hot springs baths near Reds Meadow are oh such a nice FREEBIE stop! I've always camped in the forest service campground in ML for I think $5/night so going into ML doesn't mean having to drop a fortune on a room. I also have friends that live there.

Opinions may differ but I've always had GREAT times at VVR. The food is pricey no doubt but considering the distance it had to travel to get there I think it's fair. There's a BIG hiker barrel that usually has food in it especially in mid season. But, I like going there just to wash my clothes, myself(shower), and nosh down a HUGE freshly prepared b-fast burrito and/or dinner. The meals are made fresh to order and HUGE, a nice divergence from the typical dried meals of trail life food. Another nice divergence in the throws of a long thru-hike is getting to VVR by boat which I would do just for the novelty and scenery of it all. You can sometimes spot a bald eagle or osprey along the shoreline when on Edison Reservoir, You can also get to VVR by hiking down a diffrerent trail along Bear Crk(check that though) than the PCT to very near Mono Springs which is another resupply option(Mono Springs PO). It really depends on how much food you are willing to haul and how much time you want to spend off the PCT in this very scenic area.

TM has a very good resupply store and SMALLISH cafe where you can supplement and/or send a box. There's typically a stuffed hiker box in the store(ask if it's not in the open). Once most PCTers get to TM they are in such a gotta go gotta go gotta be somewhere else cruise control frame of mind. But, at this point, I'd advise you consider a short very rewarding side trip via a shuttle bus or by thumbing a ride(EASY TO GET RIDES AT TM AND ALONG TIOGA RD) to the Tuolmone Grove of BIG BIG BIG redwood trees near Crane Flat. Some are more than 25 ft in diameter! You will not get to experience these size trees if staying directly on the PCT! As I've said before which I heard SLY say some time ago, "thru-hiking is not just about hiking!"

I've only stopped by KM Resort a couple of times sending only one box there via a trail angel on one of my first hikes in the Sierras. I'm kinda foggy about it though(brain fart?) In my experience, which might be different than your experience, the hitch into Bridgeport(BP) from Sonora Pass and back to the pass was not that hard during the time frame when most PCTers are coming through. Two med sized gracery stores in BP(I think the second one is still open). You can also go into Mono Village Resort(it's a campground) on Upper Twin Lake from Seavey Pass(just after beautiful Benson Lake) and get into BP that way. There's a restaurant(not bad food) at Mono Village and some food to buy to supplement with at a camp store so maybe you don't have to go all the way into BP. Don't know if the resort holds boxes. Downside is you left TM not too long ago and you lose elevation hiking down to Mono Village that later has to be regained. There are a couple more, some would say, out of the way hard to hitch to places where you could send a box or POSSIBLY do some supplementing in this stretch between TM and S Lake Tahoe as well although I've never made any of them a primary resupply stop. Ill let you do some research on those limited possibilities and if you seriously consider any of them let me know and I'll try to answer any questions about them if you think that would help.

BTW, since you have already made the decision to send some resupply boxes to the Sierras area of the PCT(let's not get into the pros and cons of sending boxes as opposed to buying along the way unless the OP specifically desires to!) I'd advise you allow at least 4-5 days via USPS PRIORITY MAIL for your box to get there if mailed from Alabama. It normally takes longer for boxes to get to the Sierras than many other places in the lower 48!

Have an enlightening journey. The PCT is a GREAT trail and one of my favorite long distance trails in the U.S. I'll probably do it again.

Images

I'll be using Kennedy Meadows(6 days including Whitney and the side trail to Kearsarge Pass), Independance or Bishop(5 days including the side trail back to Kearsarge Pass), Mammoth Lakes(1.5 days), Toulumne Meadows(4 days), and Bridgeport. I'm not worried about the hitch to Bridgeport as I've probably done tougher hitches (Creede from Spring Creek Pass, Gunnison from Luhan Pass, and an epic 3-person ATV hitch from Rio Grande Reservoir to Stony Pass) and enjoy the challenge of hitching where others are scared to. We're only doing about 10-12 maildrops. I'd prefer not to do maildrops and buy along the way like I did on the AT but my GF is a great cook and makes wonderful, light, vegetarian dehydrated meals and insists on it.

Thanks for pointing out the resupply options past Toulumne, I had overlooked that in the early planning.

Images

I would do km north not Bridgeport. Folks have had a hard time with rides east of Sonora. That has been my experience as well. I had an unplanned zero at km north after getting slammed with a snowstorm south of Sonora. I loved that place and I believe it is completely overlooked by many unfortunately.

If I were doing a typical pct hike with average mileage I would likely do the following stops.
    1) km
    2) kearsarge
    3) mtr
    4) Mammouth lakes if a break is needed.
    5) TM
    6) km north
    7) echo or tahoe

One thing to keep in mind is that you may need a break in the Sierra if it ends up being an above average snow year. I ended up with two unplanned zeros because the snow can really wear you down. In a below average year this may not be a problem. Finally I would do MTR and Mammouth vs. VVR. I thought VVR was a pain to get to, expensive and not as useful as Mammouth. I did have fun because I met all the hikers whose prints I had been following for days in the snow.

This past summer, getting to Bridgeport wasn't that hard. But trying to hitch out of Bridgeport was a painful 8 hour long ordeal. I will not be going back to Bridgeport for my second attempt :P

I'm like you Brian. I too rise to the challenge of doing the supposedly hard hitches. I actually enjoy hitching on my thru-hikes and don't mind waiting(I'm patient), but that's me SOLOING. I just hitched from SC Pass to Lake City and vice versa(wasn't hard either way), Gunnison from North Pass and vice versa(lengthy hitch but again not that hard either) and was really waffling thinking about getting a ride from Stony Pass(it was available) but contemplating getting a ride back to Stony Pass so decided to pass on that one. Did you do all those hitches with the GF? Because hitching with someone who's impatient, grumpy, and negative about it expecting that they are entitled to a ride from others or the first vehicle that passes just makes the hitch harder. Hey, if the GF isn't happy it can make it harder for you to be happy. I've found that when I'm in a better frame of mind doing those supposedly harder hitches it really can help me get a ride.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I'm like you Brian. I too rise to the challenge of doing the supposedly hard hitches. I actually enjoy hitching on my thru-hikes and don't mind waiting(I'm patient), but that's me SOLOING. I just hitched from SC Pass to Lake City and vice versa(wasn't hard either way), Gunnison from North Pass and vice versa(lengthy hitch but again not that hard either) and was really waffling thinking about getting a ride from Stony Pass(it was available) but contemplating getting a ride back to Stony Pass so decided to pass on that one. Did you do all those hitches with the GF? Because hitching with someone who's impatient, grumpy, and negative about it expecting that they are entitled to a ride from others or the first vehicle that passes just makes the hitch harder. Hey, if the GF isn't happy it can make it harder for you to be happy. I've found that when I'm in a better frame of mind doing those supposedly harder hitches it really can help me get a ride.
    She was with me on the hitch to Stony Pass, it probably made a big difference in me getting a ride to be honest. And she's hitched on the AT and all over Europe and West Africa so she knows to smile and not look grumpy no matter how long it takes. She's definitely an asset when trying to get a ride.

Quote Originally Posted by brian039 View Post
    She was with me on the hitch to Stony Pass, it probably made a big difference in me getting a ride to be honest. And she's hitched on the AT and all over Europe and West Africa so she knows to smile and not look grumpy no matter how long it takes. She's definitely an asset when trying to get a ride.
    No data to back it up but it's got to be twice as easy with a girl hitching.

I liked Dogwood's comment about taking the time to visit one of the Giant Sequoia groves. One option to make it some what easier would be to hike to Yosemite Valley to complete the JMT and then take the shuttle to Wawona to Mariposa Grove and back to TM.

One conversation I over heard which I'll never forget was a small boy asking his dad "how old are the giant trees" and the father answered "older than Christianity"

Images

Bridgeport truly is a hard hitch. It took us three hours (myself and my female hiking partner) to get a ride out and we didn't even get a ride all the way up to the pass. We got dropped off at the Marine(?) training area on the side of the hill with all the porta johns. Also, the motels in Bridgeport are super spendy and the grocery store isn't the cheapest either. The reason we went to Bridgeport? First place with outgoing mail to ditch our bear cans.

I made Reds Meadows my next re-supply after Kennedy Meadows. I think that's just over 200 miles and took me 12 days. Had a basic supply drop at KM and RM. The KM store was pretty good when I was there and I supplemented my supply, but I guess maybe that would depend on how many hikers went through it before you got there. Seem to recall that on the PCT snicker bars were the first victims!
    As far as hitching goes, success from RM to Mammoth Lakes but total failure when trying to get into Yosemite village from Tuolumne to track a supply parcel that contained a map section that hadn't turned up. (As has been said, I suspect a female present would noticeably increase your chances) Was able to get supplies at TM though.
    Just something to maybe consider - I'd left my pack at TM when attempting to hitch as I was returning there. After a couple of months on the trail you tend to look a bit feral, and maybe some folk could be a bit wary of picking up a lone male who is not obviously a backpacker/hiker. Might have been an asset to haul the pack with me.

To each their own Geo(HYOH), but that' means a possibly HEAVY pack, or simply much trailfood wt, with substantial elev changes hiking up and down passes and under possible snow/ice conditions while being at altitude. Your avg MPD through those resupply pts seems modest for a NOBO PCT thru-hiker at that stage in the hike though so maybe you factored things into your reasoning that you didn't list. Are you off setting any of the trail food wt. for that section? Are U planning like experiences(long food hauls) south of KM? Are U going legal with the added wt of a bear canister too? Some(many?) PCTers already swap out to heaver or additional gear/packs wts at KM for the Sierras. Combining that typical situation with a heavy food haul would be a double wt whammy. Just curious. If not, whew, gonna feel like a load between KM and RM. Watch your step. Have a great hike.

I'll be using Kennedy Meadows(6 days including Whitney and the side trail to Kearsarge Pass), Independance or Bishop(5 days including the side trail back to Kearsarge Pass), Mammoth Lakes(1.5 days), Toulumne Meadows(4 days), and Bridgeport. I'm not worried about the hitch to Bridgeport as I've probably done tougher hitches (Creede from Spring Creek Pass, Gunnison from Luhan Pass, and an epic 3-person ATV hitch from Rio Grande Reservoir to Stony Pass) and enjoy the challenge of hitching where others are scared to.
    The last time I hitched on the CDT I was waving $10 bills trying to get a ride!

Unless I had previous arrangements, I'd bite the bullet and carry to South Lake, but Sonora Pass is pretty busy, don't be afraid to ask day hikers, it's a lot easier than sticking out your thumb. I also got in the habit of asking on the way into town if they may be willing to give me a ride back to the trail, (after resupply, the next day) for gas money (or a little extra).

For the Kennedy Meadows maildrop, my next resupply will be via Kearsarge Pass and will include the side trip to Mt. Whitney.
    For this carry, I carried 6.5 days of food and only needed 5. 6 days should be enough for most people. The trail isn't that hard to Kearsarge Pass except for Forrester Pass. And you should assume 1 full day to summit Whitney. Though if a big snow year, you may want to carry 7days due to conditions making for very slow hiking. This is my online journal when I left Kennedy Meadows

From Toulumne Meadows it looks like the next resupply isn't until South Lake Tahoe which would be the longest distance I've ever gone in between resupplies. I also understand that is a difficult section of trail.
    I took me 9 days from Red's Meadows to South Lake Tahoe. Had I resuspplied at Toulumne then I would have needed 7. How tough really depends on how early in the season and how much snow is on the ground. For me, there wasn't much snow except around Sonora Pass.

As for getting a feel for how many days between resupplies, I recommend reading several trail journals over the past few years (trailjournals.com or postholer.com) and find some people who posted daily entries, had similar snow conditions as you are expecting, and seems like a similar hiker to you. You can get a feel for what your daily mileage will be in different sections.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++