WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Optimal Speed = 3.17 km/hr / ( 1 + 10 x percentage grade )
    Optimal Distance = Optimal Speed x 10 hours x Optimal Weight / Actual Weight
    Optimal Weight = Ideal Body Weight x 1.1
    If you aren't within +- 2% of any of these parameters, you might just have to HYOH

Images

That's it, I'm done............I don't go in Speed hiking, ultra lite, sleep with dogs, should I carry a howitzer, or barefoot hiking forums.....back to the Cafe.............HB, where did you put Pepe?

This wasn't supposed to go in Speed hiking because it was how other people responded to people hiking faster.. not really a point telling folks in the speed hiking forum why it is rude to tell people to slow down since they are not likely to do so. but oh well..

mags you can lock this if you want.. no one cares.

Jake .... If you go back and look at the 200 miles in NE thread... you will see that you were the first one (post #7) to be rude. No one else was calling the OP a dumb arse for thinking he could hike that many miles. You called the others pansies.... and there is a lot of bragging going on in that thread....

We care.

Journal Entries
    Images

[QUOTE=Mags;1362722]I'm just a hiker...

Yea, right.

Not sure what description would fit better though.

Outdoors interacting afficionado perhaps?

But certain not just a hiker!

Hanover to Gorham
    which is 144mi vs 200-250

"As for distance, you are not going to average 20 miles per day"
    driver babbled about trails not related to while telling us how fast he does bear mtn... not really relevant but he likes to think he has something to say. then attacks me as usual for no good reason other than he stepped in a thread he didn't belong.

but whatever i'm sure that being told you're idea is **** and taking 100mi off your request is totally nice in some cultures.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jakedatc:1362765
    This wasn't supposed to go in Speed hiking because it was how other people responded to people hiking faster.. not really a point telling folks in the speed hiking forum why it is rude to tell people to slow down since they are not likely to do so. but oh well..

mags you can lock this if you want.. no one cares.

Not sure no one cares, but I have certainly stopped carrying about an angry persons rant about hiking pace. I've done both depending on my goals and desires. I have carried 30L packs and 65L packs. Based on the fact that you weigh a stated buck twenty five, I can understand why you would have problems with it. I have no problems achieving my goals with a heavier pack and enjoy having access to items you wouldn't dream of putting in yours. Regardless of their "necessity". So far I haven't had issues carrying 40lbs 20 mi multiple days without discomfort, so why should I give up stuff that I like but is not "necessary"???

Nobody fears fast hikers or high mileage guys, why would they? However we've seen enough outlandish claims to develop a healthy skepticism of those who would brag before doing. Do the hike, then tell us how cool you are. Who knows we might agree.

Quote Originally Posted by jakedatc View Post
    I give examples of what i've done either the exact trail or similar and get flaming PM's from Driver8 telling me to shut up. (along with saying others would like me to do the same....)

A tipping point for me was earlier this week someone responded in the SPEED HIKING forum for a guy to slow down and not rush... if you can't even go to the subforum for fast hiking without getting badgered....

I know for certain there is a group of us on here that are very like minded and similar abilities.. you, Hermes, 10K, Tdcozi, others i'm forgetting.

Daddytwosticks, there doesn't need to be another forum, people that are not in that mindset just need to ignore and walk away. I don't post in hammock discussions because i've never slept in one or had the inclination to. If someone is not a fast hiker and the discussion is about hiking fast.. they probably don't need to be involved.
    "If someone is not a fast hiker and the discussion is about hiking fast.. they probably don't need to be involved."

Then why do you comment when someone has a Thru-Hike question??? Take ur own advice... When "you" are section hiking the AT, I get it, you can't/don't have the time/money to Thru Hike... You want to do as much as you can... That's not everyone's goal... Did you really say you and 10K are "like minded"??? BTW, I see you are posting again on BPL now that its free for you again ...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jakedatc View Post
    I give examples of what i've done either the exact trail or similar and get flaming PM's from Driver8 telling me to shut up. (along with saying others would like me to do the same....)
    Jake, don't be a jerk. YOU PM'd me first with an unpleasant message. I responded as I saw fit. Now you decide to take it public. Is that not an abuse of TOS? I think it is. Since you outed the private conversation you started and I told you I didn't want to continue going back and forth with you in PM after saying my peace, I will be happy to share what I wrote to you, in substance. Here goes, don't say you didn't ask for it:

I am not afraid of speed OR distance. I personally am thrilled that, after a lot of hard work, I travel twice as fast now as when I took up hiking as a major hobby summer two years ago. I hope to years from now I travel similarly faster and am lighter of weight and healthier yet.

My problem with you is not that you hike fast. It's that you appear to have this chip on your shoulder about how fast and how far you hike and how much faster and further than others, and you can't seem to stop yourself going on about it like it makes you a superior person. I pointed out to you that while I respect that you are fleet of foot and skilled as a rock climber, things which in MOST members of this board I would enjoy learning from, I find it repulsive that you, unlike so many very smart and very skilled hikers and climbers here and at Views from the Top, that you, almost alone, Jake - almost but not quite - have this need to lord your speed over others. "I'm way faster than you. Hell, I did Wildcat and Carter in a day, it was a snap." The truth is, there are plenty of people here and elsewhere, for what it's worth, who are plenty faster than you, as I also pointed out to you, or plenty more interesting, people such as Hugh and Trish Herr, Chris Dailey, DMOutdoors, much less a Honnold or a Stoeck. And none of those people feels the need to come here and pop off about how awesome they are, because they have class.

So yes, I did encourage you to put a sock in it, to stop popping off about how you're better than some others because you hike faster. I also told you not to PM me anymore in my FIRST reply to you. You violated that and replied, but I said once was fine, but no more. So far, you have at least honored that, but now you show the lack of discretion and respect for privacy, without my permission, to take our private conversation public. That's too bad, but I guess it's of a piece with your well-established pattern here. All hail and bow before the mighty Jake, he who can hike 25 whole miles in a day. Wow, ain't he awesome? Jen Pharr Davis surely is shaking in her shoes.

And yes, this is a mean post. And a waste of my time. And it upsets the comity of the community. And I regret all that. But you, sir, are the one who PM'd me first, and you are the one who took it public in this thread. Grow up and learn some manners. And for heaven's sake, spare us going on about how awesomely fast you are. I get the idea that if you passed me on trail, I might just turn and hike in the opposite direction just to make sure not to run back into you, lest I die of boredom hearing you prattle about how fast you can cover ground. There's so much more to like than miles per hour. Figure out something more interesting to say about yourself, if you can.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Quote Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
    Jake, don't be a jerk. YOU PM'd me first with an unpleasant message. I responded as I saw fit. Now you decide to take it public. Is that not an abuse of TOS? I think it is. Since you outed the private conversation you started and I told you I didn't want to continue going back and forth with you in PM after saying my peace, I will be happy to share what I wrote to you, in substance. Here goes, don't say you didn't ask for it:

I am not afraid of speed OR distance. I personally am thrilled that, after a lot of hard work, I travel twice as fast now as when I took up hiking as a major hobby summer two years ago. I hope to years from now I travel similarly faster and am lighter of weight and healthier yet.

My problem with you is not that you hike fast. It's that you appear to have this chip on your shoulder about how fast and how far you hike and how much faster and further than others, and you can't seem to stop yourself going on about it like it makes you a superior person. I pointed out to you that while I respect that you are fleet of foot and skilled as a rock climber, things which in MOST members of this board I would enjoy learning from, I find it repulsive that you, unlike so many very smart and very skilled hikers and climbers here and at Views from the Top, that you, almost alone, Jake - almost but not quite - have this need to lord your speed over others. "I'm way faster than you. Hell, I did Wildcat and Carter in a day, it was a snap." The truth is, there are plenty of people here and elsewhere, for what it's worth, who are plenty faster than you, as I also pointed out to you, or plenty more interesting, people such as Hugh and Trish Herr, Chris Dailey, DMOutdoors, much less a Honnold or a Stoeck. And none of those people feels the need to come here and pop off about how awesome they are, because they have class.

So yes, I did encourage you to put a sock in it, to stop popping off about how you're better than some others because you hike faster. I also told you not to PM me anymore in my FIRST reply to you. You violated that and replied, but I said once was fine, but no more. So far, you have at least honored that, but now you show the lack of discretion and respect for privacy, without my permission, to take our private conversation public. That's too bad, but I guess it's of a piece with your well-established pattern here. All hail and bow before the mighty Jake, he who can hike 25 whole miles in a day. Wow, ain't he awesome? Jen Pharr Davis surely is shaking in her shoes.

And yes, this is a mean post. And a waste of my time. And it upsets the comity of the community. And I regret all that. But you, sir, are the one who PM'd me first, and you are the one who took it public in this thread. Grow up and learn some manners. And for heaven's sake, spare us going on about how awesomely fast you are. I get the idea that if you passed me on trail, I might just turn and hike in the opposite direction just to make sure not to run back into you, lest I die of boredom hearing you prattle about how fast you can cover ground. There's so much more to like than miles per hour. Figure out something more interesting to say about yourself, if you can.
    Oh SNAP Jakeda$$... You gonna PM da "Gator" cuz you got served???

And you never fail to go out of your way to call be out on crap for no reason.

*plonk* back on ignore. i took it off for a while to give you a chance but you have to keep chasing me around bugging me.

Perhaps stick with your little Clique in the Cafe. everyone will hug you there.

Images

Our little clique gets about 1500 hits a day.its for people who dont have to be right all the time.and its for fun,jake,just for fun. just like hiking it's just walking

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    Our little clique gets about 1500 hits a day.its for people who dont have to be right all the time.and its for fun,jake,just for fun. just like hiking it's just walking
    A-MEN! How you doin', Hikerboy, my friend? Did Lou catch up with you yet?
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Images

Jake,do you need a hug?

Images

I don't care. HYOH

​He's pathetic, oops, prophetic, that I've never posted in the cafe... Still waitin' for WOO to invite in for???...

[QUOTE=jakedatc;1362825]Perhaps stick with your little Clique in the Cafe. everyone will hug you there.[/QUOT

I'll tell ur mom you said "Hi" ... un-comfortable lol... DB...

Quote Originally Posted by Toli:1362874
    ​He's pathetic, oops, prophetic, that I've never posted in the cafe... Still waitin' for WOO to invite in for???...
    Toli you are officially invited even though no one needs an invite. The cafe just about goofing off. I can't be serious all the time and don't take offense when they pick on my cooking.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++