WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Do any of you hike the Ice Age Trail in winter?

Seeing its called the Ice Age Trail I wonder how many actually hike the trail in winter. Some great hikes I have had was just hiking in the cold quiet calm, and hearing the odd bird call or the wind go through the trees...or seeing a light big flake snowfall in a pine forest was very Christmas like.

Sure, why not? Last year snow in southern Wisconsin was pretty nonexistent but I have hiked some of the KM South and KM Loew Lake stuff in winter through snow (snowshoes sometimes needed). I also hiked the Wood Lake loop (the IAT uses part of this loop) in winter in deep snow. Was sore after that one. See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-ySdod4jcM

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Hiking on a relatively flat trail like the IAT can be a lot of fun in the winter, at least if there's less than 6" of snow (or more and you have snowshoes). I would recommend waterproof boots if you're hiking in the snow all day, plus intelligent layering to keep you from overheating. Some of my most memorable hikes were in light snow in very cold weather.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Wouldn't the IAT be ideal for backcountry skis?

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
    Let me go

Of course! I hike on it, run on it, and snowshoe on it. I have seen a lot of ski tracks as well, but do not ski myself.

I want to backpack/hike on the IAT some time. Does anyone know if there are restrictions about where you can camp on the IAT? (especially in the southern part where it's mostly disconnected bits of trail)

In most of the southern sections of the trail for example like in the Southern Kettle Moraine State Park area for example you have restrictions to backpack shelters or the established campsites at campgrounds. When you get more north where the trail goes through National Forests, then you have less restrictions. A great place to get a better idea of camping/lodging on the Ice Age Trail is at www.iceagetrail.org.

I liked the video WI Mike! It was nice to see that virgin snow covered trail....looked serene. It is interesting how the character for the trail changes when many of the leaves are gone and the snow blankets the ground. I know an area that is a mosquito festival in summer but in winter is a beautiful spot to linger.

I hike the IAT in winter all the time. It's quiet and much more interesting. With the bare trees you can see farther and the forest looks completely different. I do the Kettle Moraine North and South section often and we enjoy it. Snowshoes would be a great way to travel when the snow is deeper or when no one has yet gone on the trail.

Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

Many hikes in the winter on the southern half and not much snow to walk thru.

++ New Posts ++