WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Consider dumping the pack cover (that will only minimally work in steady rain anyway) and go with a trash COMPACTOR bag inside. It will protect your gear better and it is pricier than a regular trash bag but is very sturdy.

Quote Originally Posted by hurricane! View Post
    Yes, I did leave out some of the things I do have that I also plan on bringing:

Stakes/Ground Cloth (both in with the shelter)
    Plan on using Gatorade bottle and bladder for camp
    Toiletries
    Gloves

Thanks for the two cents on the swiss army knife and the DIY first aid kit. Both great info!

So I've been reading about the trash bag liner. What is this for? No one has ever taught me on this one in my life of hiking. I've only ever used a rain cover on the pack. Is this the same idea except inside the pack?

Do you guys have any experience with frameless packs? Are they worth the weight savings vs comfort? If not, suggestions over my REI?

bannerstone, I am going to get that long sleeve merino smartwool top. You think that would be sufficient?

I plan on switching to backpacking mode come January. Borrowing a weight vest and doing some solid humps throughout the week while cutting down my running mileage so I dont get any nagging injuries. Right now I'm a competitive runner logging about 60-70 miles a week.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hurricane! View Post
    Hey Guys,

Looking to leave mid-March and doing as close to 20 a day from the start as possible. I run a lot and plan on starting some hiking specific stuff in January.
    I would suggest also taking it easier at first.
    Unless you already run 10 miles per day, every day, your joints and bones on your lower body are not used to what they will experience.
    Its not a question of whether or not you can do it for one day, its a question of whether or not your body can take it day after day.
    Repetitve motion injuries occur when the body isnt up to it. Strains, stress fractures, etc.
    The body will adapt, but it does slowly. Even bones have to adapt, slowly.
    Tibial stress fractures are common. Start out like shin splints, but get worse until you are in a boot for 4 weeks.
    Every downhill step, lands with force, is hammering your leg bones and joints. A few hundred thousand repetitions accumulates damage.
    This is why runners increase mileage 10% per week or so, and you should be cautious too
    You are in it for the long haul, dont sideline yourself with an injury after just a couple wks.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 02-23-2013 at 14:03.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++