WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Stove for Homeless

My daughter keeps a box of cereal (granola) bars in her car to give to the homeless asking for help at street corners. I always thought that was a good idea, because it addresses an immediate need of the poor without giving those who are just trying to score some cash money for they drug/drinking desires. (It's not that I'm against the homeless drinking or getting high; it's just that I want my spare booze/smoke money used for my booze and smoke, not their's.)

But I was recently reading these forums and I had a thought. What about giving the homeless one of the wood gas burning stoves that you can make? It would give them a bit of flexibility on their choices of food preparation, without tying them to having to buy gasoline, white gas, or alcohol. They can pick up twigs almost anywhere. And being cheap, I might be able to make a large difference in their lives without much cost to mine.

So, time for some questions:

1) Do you think a small wood burning stove would help the homeless? (Why or why not?)

2) I'm imagining that with the stove would come instructions on how to use it (and how to build it, too). What is a good link to usage as well as building instructions that I could give to a homeless person which they could use to instruct themselves on how to use the stove? (I guess this also means what would be a good and easy to use stove for the homeless.)

Nice thought, but my guess is most of them get enough to eat at the shelters and what they really want is the cash.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

hobos and train riders could prob benifit from one .. although dont want to let the smpke roll befor that whislte blows or you might be dealing with rail cops :/.. but i think it would be a good bit of gear for someone who is in need of hot food.

A lot of the homeless don't like to go into shelters for various reasons, and a lot of people don't want to give them cash that can be turned into smokes or drinks . I don't think anyone should be discouraged from offering any help they can. I like your idea. There's a guy (I think in Colorado) who collects used backpacks for them to carry their few wordly goods in. I crochet sleeping mats out of "plarn" made from plastic grocery bags. They can be rolled up and carried on one's back, and as backpackers, we know how much difference a layer of protection between yourself and the ground can make. No, it doesn't solve the homelessness problem, but if I can lighten someone's load even a little, I want to do it.

Journal Entries
    Images

+1 on giving them useful things (food, a water bottle, an old pack...)
    Give them money in a structured way (through an organization).

A lighter and mouse traps would be more valuable for urban survival than a stove.
    David Smolinski

Journal Entries
    Images

Interesting post - CH .... it's all in the interpretation...." I like CH "... but my initial reaction as an owl was....

"Mouse traps really? so are they supposed to cook the mouse or suspend them over the fire to singe the hair?"

Seriously

Fcoulter this is a great suggestion, but these folks are avoiding help .... because I work in pest control there are LOADS of resources available to get these people off the streets. I work with people in Camden, Trenton, and in the past Wilmington to clean up bed bugs - with the state, churches and private owners of row homes. Begging is not a new thing - it goes back beyond 2000 years. Its a fact of man and bible. It will never go away. As a group we all want to do the right thing. They want the money. I have loads of personal examples of things that have happened to me while doing my bug inspections and security jobs. Our hearts go out to these people ...
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

A couple of years ago we had a sizable fire that was started by a homeless person's cooking fire. He turned himself in immediately, but still, someone lost a lot of wooded acreage.

I want to think this is a good idea, but I wonder if it might not cause more problems because of carelessness or people who really don't know how to be responsible with a fire.

In the old days we called 'em winos. Anyway, some sort of easily made from available materials twig/wood would be a good idea. Most I have seen don't do alot of cookin'.

I like where you are going with this idea of the stove.....I like the idea of providing tents as well. I have a good friend that bought a tent for someone in need.

At least in Chicago, much of the homeless community wouldn't use a stove. But if their more of a hobo or train hopper, that would be completely useful I would think. Most of the homeless community on the north side of CHI is fed by the shelter and warming center/soup kitchen network. But that doesn't mean they don't appreciate additional food while their on the street.

I think any help is good help.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wuff View Post
    At least in Chicago, much of the homeless community wouldn't use a stove. But if their more of a hobo or train hopper, that would be completely useful I would think. Most of the homeless community on the north side of CHI is fed by the shelter and warming center/soup kitchen network. But that doesn't mean they don't appreciate additional food while their on the street.

I think any help is good help.
    A few years ago I talked with a Homeless person in Chicago about what kind of stoves they use. He said they don't use stoves. For their hot water needs they go to McDonalds. They put their Ramen noodles in a ziploc bowl and get it filled with hot water at the counter.

Good for your daughter for giving to those in need. I keep sack lunches in my car for the same reason. I also have a day pack ready to be given should I meet someone who needs it.

I think stoves aren't really a good idea due to the fire hazard. This is both for the safety of the homeless person as well as the potential property damage. I suspect most of those who want a stove already have one, probably a can for holding twigs. Safer and also practical things to give include food, socks, jackets, etc. I believe cash is best given to a homeless shelter.

I have all too often met up with the homeless(houseless) on my travels through 47 states and while thru-hiking. I've met many homeless in many states. I've learned a lot about the situation but certainly don't pretend to have the answers to all of everyone's issues. But, I don't think giving a wood burning stove is going to make a life changing difference in houseless peoples's lives. I was homeless briefly when I first moved to Hawaii. I agree with Wuff. Although there may be a very small minority of homeless who could and will responsibly(good luck) utilize a wood burning stove for cooking the vast majority wouldn't use one at all or the stove would eventually be left somewhere to rot with all the other garbage the homeless VERY OFTEN leave behind when they move on to their next camp. IMHO, physical resources given to the homeless only addresses part of the homeless situation/issue AND WILL NOT eliminate the situation. In my experience the vast majority of homeless don't fully avail themselves of all the resources available to get themsleves off the homeless rosters even when extensive resources are available to do so and I'm not just talking about immediate resources like food, stoves, tents, clothing, packs, blankets, medical and mental health services, etc either. I will also say the vast majority, BUT NOT ALL, of the homeless I've met have serious chemical addictions(drugs, alcohol) and/or mental issues. In many areas I've met homeless people an alarming percentage of the homeless are also veterans.

However, if you do want to supply wood/charcoal burning stoves to homeless people who want them and will utilize them for just cooking(good luck) I suggest offering them cheap small hibachi type grills/stoves. That's what I've seem them using on numerous ocassions for cooking.

Personally, I try to help the homeless with physical resources by donating food and clothing to foodbanks and charity centers in New Jersey and Hawaii and have the pleasure of serving hot meals and uncooked food at these foodbanks and food pantries. However, sometimes I feel like I'm not bailing water fast enough in a sinking boat with a huge hole.

Images

I don't think it would be very useful around here. If anything, the smell of smoke could make them a target.

I definitely wouldn't just give it to anyone, or push it on anyone, or just loudly announce that anything free is being given away. In my experiences with the homeless, that would most likely result in a stove that's wasted, probably shortly after they get one. I've spent a lot of time and effort trying to help the homeless, but it drives me crazy how wasteful so many of them can be. If you can identify on a personal level with someone homeless, identify a need, and then get them to see the benefit of having your stove, then I think it'd be worth it.

Fwiw, the most rewarding experiences I've had with the homeless was at a family shelter. Most people there actually made an effort and were appreciative of help.

Re: the homeless. I was amazed at the depth and intelligence of many homeless people that I met while running a mission in an inner city. Many have been hurt or disappointed one time too many and have given up hope for anything better than existing, medicating themselves with drugs or booze to dull the pain.

I long ago found out that taking them to a local fast food place and buying them a sandwich, having a conversation with them and getting to know them as fellow human beings could be as much (or more) beneficial to my spirit as it is to them.

Re: a "hobo stove" for the homeless: I doubt that many of them would use them. It's easier to panhandle and go to the local burger place for a dollar sandwich if they really are hungry than to scrounge firewood and find a place where no one will call the cops on them for "starting a fire". Reality.

I guess I should have read Leaftye's comments first.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

i'm not going to argue many peoples ignorant views of the homeless, but this time of year; socks, gloves and take coats/warm clothing to places that will give them out responsibly.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    i'm not going to argue many peoples ignorant views of the homeless, but this time of year; socks, gloves and take coats/warm clothing to places that will give them out responsibly.
    ........and be willing to accept the fact that some of them may sell them for drugs or booze.........and still have the compassion to keep giving them warm clothing that will at least keep them alive, hoping that they can find a way out of their situation, whether self-imposed or not.
    Compassion may not look smart at times, but ask anyone who has been on the receiving end and they'll tell you otherwise.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

Give them a bright shiny new 1 quart size paint can and let them make their own. They have plenty of time on their hands and have plenty of resources to get what they need to do the build. Better yet, give them a hammock.

i help a homeless guy most of the summer the wife was in the hospital had to go by him so i stop ever day. I gave him ever thing he need to camp out in the woods a 1 man tent back pack 2 alcohol stoves jacket some little food ever day etc. One day took him home to help me stack wood i paid him to help well there more but it some of it

Quote Originally Posted by oops56 View Post
    i help a homeless guy most of the summer the wife was in the hospital had to go by him so i stop ever day. I gave him ever thing he need to camp out in the woods a 1 man tent back pack 2 alcohol stoves jacket some little food ever day etc. One day took him home to help me stack wood i paid him to help well there more but it some of it
    p. s. forget to say he had a walking cast

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++