Default Pilgrimage Interview

Mornin' lady hikers. I'm a senior in college writing my anthropology thesis on female thru-hikers, taking a close look at thru-hiking as a pilgrimage of sorts. I'm definitely studying this world with the hopes of joining it immediately after graduating. Growing up with summer trips to the Sierras, and having spent recent summers working out in the rugged terrain of the Colorado Rockies, I can't wait to free myself from these institutional walls an climb and hike and sprint to the top of Whitney!

But alas, May is a few months away. So until then I am reading books and blogs and trying to engage my mind in thru-hiking as much as possible. For my project I am hoping to get to interview a few women who have thru-hiked the PCT, AT, or CDT. If any of you are willing and able to participate in my research I would greatly appreciate your contribution.

Cheers,
    Lucy Linden

The best way to interview thru-hikers is to get out their on the trails and talk to them face to face but good luck and happy hiking.

Hiked the PCT this past season, let me know if I can help.

Kip "Hippy Kippy" Redick has been teaching a class at Christopher Newport University on the A.T. as pilgrimage for years, and has done post-doctoral work on the subject. He completed a thru-hike in 2011 and has remained very active in the long-distance hiking community.

Also, if you do think about interviewing hikers during the course of their hike, hostels can be a good place to catch hikers while they have down time and it may be easier to get permission than from the land-managing agencies, which may require a permit.

++ New Posts ++