WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

I agree art-to-linda, it is definitely a bigger problem now. The article I had read was exploring the exponential growth and history of the drug and focused initially on small cookers. I believe you when you say the quantities are now large. Meth is definitely a terrible drug, I definitely do not advocate its use. It's just that its manufacture has started to coincide with many of the places where folks like to recreate so I have tried to make people aware of the potential problems they may run into.

Yes that is the answer Top. Have them mix it up in a bucket and drink it. I agree with the Minnesotian, it's also a huge problem in Iowa. My buddy has to lock up his Ammonia tanks at night in a new barn and that didn't come cheap. FYI I thought it was the Germans during WWII that refined it for use.
    "you ain't settin your sights to high son, but if you want to follow in my tracks I'll help ya up the trail some."

Rooster Cogburn.

Ouachita NF

On 5/2, an LEO (Law Enforcement Officer) followed-up on a report of a methamphetamine lab dump on the Cold Springs RD and found remnants of a “one-pot” method of cooking methamphetamine. It was the first “one-pot” lab to be found on the Forest.

Not noted as a one-pot case-

An Asheville, NC man was sentenced in federal court to serve 7 ˝ years in prison for his role in 3 methamphetamine labs on NFS lands. The case began when an LEO confronted a man for expired license plates within the Pisgah NF near an FS campground in Yancey County, NC. LEI personnel found a methamphetamine lab in the suspect’s vehicle and two labs at campsites within the Forest. The suspect advised that he had made methamphetamine at the two locations on NFS lands every day during the previous two weeks.

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

no one is advocating for Meth use,,,

but by having a legal 'clean" source of the drug for addicts we could prevent/reduce the number of 'bootleg" labs and help prevent common folks from being robbed and endangered by addicts stealing and running dangerous clandistine "labs' and cookers....

who is the law supposed to protect??? heck meth is a cheap easily produced chemical...this current prohibiton is not working and is also endangering the general population due to dangerous labs and toxic chemimals and waste...

legal safe controlled production along with distribution to addicts would go a long way toward making things safer for the genneral public. and isn't that the folks the LAW is supposed to try and protect?
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

yeah, but since the govt would have to put so many restrictions and controls on the use of it, and registering of addicts and pushing treatment and limiting quantities available at any one time etc, that people would still make their own. Heck, I'd be afraid of getting on a list if I was a paranoid meth head. I think decriminilization and harm reducing kind of stuff like treatment and education is the best you can do. Some people cant be helped or stopped just kind of sidestepped is the best you can manage I think, like junkies in the junkie park, just send the medical people in there with free ice cream every once in a while with a cart yelling "Bring out your dead!"

A proper quick, brave, steady, ready gentleman! ocourse's Avatar

I certainly would not want to support a government (tax-based) program that supplies this horrible drug to users. This drug is very dangerous and undoubtedly in many lives it leads to health issues, broken homes, lost jobs, and deaths. It doesn't make sense to support the habit just because some are going to use it anyway! The best leverage against the use of it may be education. Society will always be in danger from illegal activity of all kinds. Much crime is about acquiring money - should we also identify those who steal and rob and just have our government give them money to make the population safer?
    I've learned....
    That a smile is an inexpensive way to improve your looks.

Some of the biggest problems with meth ( besides being the most addictive drug around ) is that the body actually stores excess so that even after stopping use you're still having it released from storage. Starting with the first use it damages the body, reduces brain function and it only takes a few times using it to establish physical and mental dependency. Longer term use reduces all drives (including the ability to have sex ) to one...... getting more of the drug. Since it is a very easy drug to make we end up with people making their own and using this as a way to also support them selves. Education is the best answer, if people understood just what this drug does to them there might be a drop in those that try it for a kick. Then again, there are always people making stupid choices, it's to bad that they don't understand that this one has such far reaching affects.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by tamstan
    I certainly would not want to support a government (tax-based) program that supplies this horrible drug to users. This drug is very dangerous and undoubtedly in many lives it leads to health issues, broken homes, lost jobs, and deaths. It doesn't make sense to support the habit just because some are going to use it anyway! The best leverage against the use of it may be education. Society will always be in danger from illegal activity of all kinds. Much crime is about acquiring money - should we also identify those who steal and rob and just have our government give them money to make the population safer?

Society is already supporting meth users...through crime and dangerous clandistine labs...It would be much cheaper on the general public to just give the addicts the meth rather than have suffer thru having crimes committed for the addicts to support thier addictions,

Having meth easily available for addicts would not change the laws about robbing and stealing, these crimes would still be prosecuted, and having a drug addiction would NOT be a "way off the hook" as is sometimes used now as a "justification" in court,
    Last edited by smokymtnsteve; 05-31-2005 at 21:49.
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

I was in the emergency room Saturday morning in Chattanooga and got to talkin to an ER Triage Nurse about Meth. Chattanooga is right in the epicenter of the Meth crisis. He said that since the drug is often made with Coleman fuel, Meth users often ooze the smell of white gas from their pores.

Nasty!

He also said that they see burn vicitms from exploding labs all the time. They usually say things like, "the campfire blew up" or "I poured some lighter fluid on the campfire and it burned me." D-U-M-B

Images

Treating these folks whose "campfire blew up" is another cost that society absorbs....if U just gave these addicts free meth,,,then the ER would be less busy and more available to help real emergency cases ...like sick children ...who wouldn't have to be in a ER wating room with burned meth addicts..

A proper quick, brave, steady, ready gentleman! ocourse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by smokymtnsteve
    Treating these folks whose "campfire blew up" is another cost that society absorbs....if U just gave these addicts free meth,,,then the ER would be less busy and more available to help real emergency cases ...like sick children ...who wouldn't have to be in a ER wating room with burned meth addicts..
    Let the government support this addiction with my tax money? Look at another example, not too different. There have been trucks of cigarettes hijacked and stores broken into because of the high cost of a pack, combined with a strong addiction. These crimes can be violent also since so much money can be made selling them. Better not be on the scene when such a crime takes place. The monetary cost of this "habit" is absolutely enormous to society, not to mention the long-term sickness and death, and the risk that non-smokers take just being exposed to smoke. Think there should be a government program just to give out free smokes so we won't risk having our stores and supply vehicles robbed? Would we then be safer because the cigarette thefts would decrease?
    I've learned....
    That a smile is an inexpensive way to improve your looks.

Ok well the govt isn't handing out cigarettes to junkies, farmers are growin it and making goood money. If respectable clean manufacturers want to make it and sell it at a profit not as part of some taxpayer subsidized program, then I guess Im all for it. Ought to be makin some tax revenue on the crackheads and junkies too, not to mention the potheads. Might even motivate them to get jobs, especially if you start choppin off body parts for stealing, like some other countries Ive heard of. People have a right to be messed up, thats just evolution in action...

Images

ok I can agree with Free Market Meth...right now the government is enforcing and coercing the tax payer to support a governmet interfernce in the free trade and marketing of Meth...a system of producing and distributing meth similiar to cigareetes and alcohol would be better.

but do not force society to support the present interuption of of freedom by this unworkable and endangering prohibiton.

How about that Supreme Court decision SMS, 6-3. O'connor, Rehnquist, and Thomas in the minority. Who'd have thought that?

yeah, in the end the market is the only effective regulatory device. (Thats why "they" try to keep the consumers confused all the time.) Enlightened consumerism is the answer to all the worlds problems.

By the way I used to serve Rehnquist cheeseburgers regularly, and he was always pretty cool and easygoing. Everyone behind the counter was usually um....well we played a lot of grateful dead in that restaurant, lets put it that way...

A guy jumps out of an airplane with a parachute on his back. As he's
    falling he realizes his chute is broken, now he doesn't know anything
    about parachutes really, but as the earth rapidly approaches he realizes
    his options are limited, he takes off the parachute and tries to fix it
    himself on the way down. The wind is ripping past his face, he's
    dropping like a rock, and at 5000 feet another guy goes shooting Up past
    him. In desperation, our man with the chute looks up and yells, "Hey do
    you know anything about parachutes?!?!?" The guy flying up looks down
    and yells, "NO, do you know anything about Coleman gas stoves?!?"

Sorry, I couldn't find the hiking humor thread.
    Bolo

On the 25-year Installment Plan dperry's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock
    Wasn't meth invented by some well meaning person as a substitute to get people off heroin or something?
    Hi, Sarge,

You're thinking of methadone, I believe.
    David Perry
    79.1 down, 2,101.9 to go.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock
    J
    Wasn't meth invented by some well meaning person as a substitute to get people off heroin or something?
    Meth was invented by the Army or Air Force in WWII to keep bomber pilots awake on long missions.

Weary

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator
    How about that Supreme Court decision SMS, 6-3. O'connor, Rehnquist, and Thomas in the minority. Who'd have thought that?

I am not concerned by the recent decision,,,the ANCHORAGE DAILY NEWS ran an article stating that the State Troopers will not be charged with enforcing the fed law so it Status quo here in AK!

must be real nice for the Federal government to have so much excess tax revenue as to be able to chase down attack and commit terrorism against sick folk. (what a waste of good $$$ and energy)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++