WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Trails with Cliffs and Rocky Peaks?

I'm interested in places like Charlies Bunion,Mt. Leconte Cliff Tops, Chimney tops, Jump Off and really any other trail similar to those with a rocky summit, ledge or cliff, i'm not looking for anything technical but I do like it a little dangerous! I listed mostly GSMNP places i'm familiar with because I live close by but I'm open to other areas. I know there are many places like this, i'm just not familiar with them yet and crave places like that. Any Help?

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

If you are seeking just cliff views then the AT in NE Tennessee has some. There is Little Rock Knob has some small cliffs near Hughes Gap. Roan Mountain has a few side trails to cliffs. Grassy Ridge, Roan High Bluff and a couple unlisted views. Jones Falls and nearby Elk Falls. There is a unmarked side trail above the steps near Laurel Falls that will take you to a narrow out cropping. Pond Mtn has some small cliffs. Exposed trail near Viking Mtn and CampCreek Bald.

Other trails in the Cherokee Forest. Red Fork Falls and Twisting Falls are unofficial trails but very popular. Shinbone Trail is a long trail that sits high above the Nolichucky Gorge. Margarette Falls Trail passes by the base of a sheer cliff near the falls. Clark Creek Trail goes to the base of Buckeye Falls a 475' sheer cliff waterfall. Other than that, you probably want to check the Cumberland Trail corridor. Lots of cliffs through there.

For North Carolina, you probably want to check Hanging Rock, Pilot Mtn, Stone Mtn, Grandfather, Linville Gorge, Whiteside.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

sawtooths, idaho
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Tinker cliffs, McAfee Knob, Dragons Tooth, in VA

Quote Originally Posted by rather go up View Post
    Tinker cliffs, McAfee Knob, Dragons Tooth, in VA
    Grand Canyon?

Most of the AT in Maine, especially the southwestern most 100 miles entails ascents above treeline. The ascents (and descents) are strenuous but the rewards on top are plentiful on sunny days. Typically, you're hiking up a rocky trail but the rocks are flat and smooth on top.

You'd also like the ascents up Mt. Abraham and Camels Hump on the Long Trail on Vermont north of where the AT splits off.

And then there's Mt. Moosilauke in NH.

Thanks! Theses alone are enough to keep me busy for some years to come.

For the east coast is hard to beat the Whites, most of Maine or the Adirondacks

Jug End to Lionshead over Everett, Race, and Bear Mountains in MA/CT has some pretty good cliffs, rocky summits, and some tough climbing (especially SOBO up Bear). Doing this in winter makes it even more interesting...microspikes were a must...

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Get to the Adirondacks! Many of the peaks there have long landslides, some covered with rubble, some very clean. Slide climbing is almost a separate sport in the 'Daks.

Chekc out these forums
    http://adkhighpeaks.com/
    for loads of info. Some of the best slides are on Mt. Colden - both the dike and the slide on the South face are classisc routes.

Images

Albert Mt. Back side of Cheoh bald

Thanks everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by joshuasdad View Post
    Jug End to Lionshead over Everett, Race, and Bear Mountains in MA/CT has some pretty good cliffs, rocky summits, and some tough climbing (especially SOBO up Bear). Doing this in winter makes it even more interesting...microspikes were a must...
    if you like PUDs....

try Zeacliff trail, Kinsmans, Carters, Wildcats, Cannon, Owls head, Tripyramids, Bonds... if you want rocks and steeps. rocky summits... the entire Presi range.

As folks have said, southern Maine will amaze you. I remember so many times looking down some rock face wondering how I was going to deal with it. I turned around like Spider Man a lot after tossing my poles down what seemed like multiple stories. Kinsmen (in NH) stood out too and I hiked them just before sunset so there wasn't a soul around. I remember I would keep thinking, "I need to be careful - I could really hurt myself here and no one would find me until tomorrow morning! Crazy.
    "Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" - Mary Oliver
    http://wildandwhiteblazing.com

Red River Gorge in KY is the best I've seen so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Stroll View Post
    Red River Gorge in KY is the best I've seen so far.
    Agree - lots of cool rock scrambles, several quite challenging.

Default Another TN spot

Blackstack Cliffs, immediately nobo from Camp Creek Bald, which is nobo from Allen Gap, near Hot Springs. Great views to the west-northwest across the Tennessee Valley and Ridge and west-southwest to the French Broad River valley.

AO

Thanks everyone. Lots of places mentioned that I've written down to check on further.

I'm with you PeakHunter. This is some of my favorite type of hiking too. East coast has plenty of places to do this kind of hiking but the most extensive as far as miles above treeline and experiencing sharp peaks is in the west and mid west IMHO. Sierras, Cascades, Rockies, etc. Even AZ, UT, NM, etc in desert areas has this type of hiking. If you want peaks, cliffs, being on the ridgeline etc get Jonathan Ley's CDT Colorado map set and hike the CDT through CO taking higher elev. alternate routes. You can literally get 100 -200 miles of it. Consider doing the Sierra High Route too. Love it!

Try the Panthertown Valley in Nantahala NF.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Thanks everyone. Lots of places mentioned that I've written down to check on further.

I'm with you PeakHunter. This is some of my favorite type of hiking too. East coast has plenty of places to do this kind of hiking but the most extensive as far as miles above treeline and experiencing sharp peaks is in the west and mid west IMHO. Sierras, Cascades, Rockies, etc. Even AZ, UT, NM, etc in desert areas has this type of hiking. If you want peaks, cliffs, being on the ridgeline etc get Jonathan Ley's CDT Colorado map set and hike the CDT through CO taking higher elev. alternate routes. You can literally get 100 -200 miles of it. Consider doing the Sierra High Route too. Love it!
    Second the High Route. You wouldn't find mile for mile more scrambling than the SHR.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++