WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Studlintsean View Post
    Looks like the Helium went back up to $399.

Kerosene- I have been thinking about picking up the Marmot Pinnacle while its on sale at REI for $279. Can you let me know your thoughts on this bag? I undertand its not the top of the line bag but for the bang for the buck, would you recommend this bag?

Thanks
    If you check out the reviews you wont find an owner who does not like thier Pennacle. I have one and it sleeps great, only issue is weight. I bought mine used and dont know why but it's 3 lb-2 oz rather than the 2,12 the specs say, but it's probably warm down to 0 degrees.

Feathered Friends Osprey for me. Looked at Marmot, WM and Feathered Friends and went with the Feathered Friends due to a combination of cost, reputation, made in America, and fit. Probably would have been happy with any of them but as this was my first down bag, I don't have much to compare to. One of the very best gear purchases I've made. Money well spent. If I ever need another bag it will most definitely be a Feathered Friends bag.

Drybones, you got to remember that this is 900 fill down versus 800 and 850 for the others. Very little hard feathers in the bag just the down versus he other weights. So a larger loft is not as necessary to achieve the same insulating properties. The only "down" side (pun intended) is that I hear it is harder to compress.....all second hand hearsay so I gotta check it out fr myself. Though the large price tag is quite daunting, though if it is a bag that would last 30 years....maybe worth it.

One good thing about the WM bags, is that on some models they offer a wide model for us big guys. That may not matter to a lot of normal sized folks, but it makes a big difference for us. I bought a wide/tall model, and it fits me better than any other bag I've tried.

I've bought three Feathered Friends bags, a Montbell bag, a Golite bag, Western Mountaineering down pants, a Marmot down jacket, and even a Stephenson Warmlite down bag with a built in vapor barrier and down air mat.
    The Feathered Friends has the best workmanship, the Western mountaineering pants were next, the Montbell has the lightest fabric, the Golite was the best bag for the money, the Marmot jacket is very good, but not up to the previously mentioned items, and the Stephenson bag was way more than anybody other than an arctic or antarctic or high peaks expedition could ever need (and it weighed like it).
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Journal Entries

If you are considering quilts the check out Katabaticgear.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++