WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Mount Rogers/Grayson Highlands Snow or Weather?

Good morning! I was planning on a weekend visit to the Grayson Highlands area this weekend but wanted to check on the weather conditions first. We had been planning on hiking up to Mount Rogers by starting at Massie's gap on Saturday. Not planning on staying overnight, but my husband is who is not a fan of hiking has agreed to go along with me. Does anyone know if there is snow or likely to be snow there this weekend? I don't mind patches of snow here and there, but trekking through a foot of snow would be a different story and my husband will likely never agree to go hiking again. Thanks!

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

At this time I would say that the only happy guys out there will be hunters because. unlike us cuddled up before our home fires, the deer get to moving. Nah, I would do it only for the adventure of it.
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

From mountain-forecast.com at the peak of Mt Rogers, low 36 high 43 chance of light rain Saturday night and Sunday morning.

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

It is the wind that can be a big determinant for your hike.
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

I read that the whole area got 12-18 inches of snow due to Hurricane Sandy earlier this week. There's probably going to be more than just some patches left, probably more than it sounds like you want to see. But you should absolutely do that hike in better weather! The Mt. Rogers area is beautiful!

Three pieces of advice; tire chains, snow shoes, shovel (dirt shovel for your car and snow shovel for your pack).
    * Warning: I bite AND I do not play well with others! -hellkat-

++ New Posts ++