WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default You definitely can cut down the weight

You wanted to know what kind of weight improvements can be made off this, so here are my suggestions. They're what I'd do in your situation, not necessarily the best course of action for YOU. Most people on this site would say that this is light enough or even TOO light, but I wouldn't underestimate the power of cutting a few more pounds off.

In order of the easiest improvements:
    1. Mail pieces of the guidebook to yourself or put the data you need on your phone. Save 100-150 g
    2. Your hygiene/repair kit is massive in comparison to the rest of your gear. There's a lot of items in there, but you don't need it to weigh 242 grams. A good target would be saving 100g in total from that weight.
    3. You've clearly made the decision to bring both the Neoair and the GG nightlight, but you don't need both. Have you tried a torso pad such as the nightlight on its own? Have you tried using your packpack as a pad for your legs? Losing the Neoair could save 209 g.
    4. Do you have a 40 degree quilt to switch to during warm weather? In summer, you won't need the 20 degree unless you sleep very cold. Could save 150 g.
    5. You said you're considering switching to a Poncho Tarp system. That's a rather big change, but one I'd recommend because it'll give major weight savings. A Golite Poncho-tarp would save 250+ g of raingear, even if its only used as a backup shelter. Using it as a primary shelter would save 370 g, although you might want to add in a 200 g bivy sack and ditch the 43g groundcloth, depending on your preferences.

So, that's about 1.3 kilograms of potential weight savings to choose from, if weight savings are what you want. Be wary though, because I am making these observations as somebody who doesn't know you at all and has no clue about your preferences or needs.

Note: I hate the American system, but I use it primarily. So I'm converting to metric for you, and my numbers might be off.

Images

Default My current 9.5lbs BW gearlist, please pick apart.

+ 1 to Hermes, think pounds not ounces for now.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by trapper View Post
    i found out the hard way that when you put luecotape on something it petty much has to wear off...that crap really sticks...its awesome though...no worries about it coming off...don't install on sensitive areas if your going to want to take it off at the end of the day
    That's what makes it so great. For a blister use a bandaid covered by Luecotape. It will keep the bandaid in place, forget the bandaid and it will rip the blister off if you try to pull it off.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    That's what makes it so great. For a blister use a bandaid covered by Luecotape. It will keep the bandaid in place, forget the bandaid and it will rip the blister off if you try to pull it off.
    Jeez, that's impressive. I've heard people talk about Leukotape but have never been able to find it anywhere. I assumed it was basically just regular athletic tape. Maybe I'll have to order some online. Sounds amazing - I haven't found anything waterproof enough but this sounds like just the ticket...

It is extremely tough and sticky tape usually used similarly to Kiniseotape. The big use is for patella tracking. you put a base tape (same stuff NFL guys use on their elbows for turf burn) then you put the leukotape over it .

http://www.amazon.com/Leukotape-Spor.../dp/B000H94TAQ

http://www.amazon.com/Cover-Roll-Str...r+roll+stretch

Actually it looks like alot of thought and work has went into your gear list. Very nice! I will have to post mine sometime in the future for folks to pick apart, but in reality, mine is pretty well set in stone now that I've worked with it for so long. I'm pretty attached to my gear and have a sub 10lb base also. I could go with 1.5lb food/day, being female and of smaller frame. I'm also one of those who loses their appetite on the trail and generally has to force food down for at least the first 2 weeks.
    Great job and hope to see you on the trail!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++