WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Privy ?????

Registered User Virginia Archer's Avatar

Default Privy ?????

We'll since getting back into hiking. I took my wife for a Wonderful day hike yesterday. I we passed a Few shelters and I figured I'd use the privy at one! WOW, I know Thru hikers eat alot of different stuff but damn!!! I have never put my nose thru that kinda torcher before!!

Well my main question is : What is the Mailbox beside the bowl for? I was falling out of that thing gasping for air and never looked in it. so what is it for?

A well-designed and well-maintained privy doesn't have much more of an odor than an indoor bathroom. That being said, few are well-designed and few are well-maintained. The mailbox, or sometimes a large coffee can, are intended for toilet paper, to keep the mice from nibbling it for bedding. Neither works very well since the mailbox doors and coffee can lids are seldom closed tightly. It just makes for a mess. Bring your own TP. There is a whole science to backcountry sanitation. And at times like this, I'm glad not to be a scientist. Be brave and try another one. I got to inaugurate one in Maine back in 2001 and it was spotless and smelled of freshly cut lumber.

Registered User DrRichardCranium's Avatar
    Journal Entries

And if you run low on toilet paper, just grab a handful of the religious tracts.
    "Katahdin barada nikto."

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarfoot View Post
    A well-designed and well-maintained privy doesn't have much more of an odor than an indoor bathroom. That being said, few are well-designed and few are well-maintained.
    +1 that just about sums it up. I try not to complain about privies as they are mostly maintained by volunteers, and I say bless them for doing it at all!

There are only a handful of privies that I've seen which weren't nasty. There is a new design at a few sites in Connecticut where the privy had walls that allow for privacy, but don't fully enclose the top and bottom of the "seating area" sort of like an indoor bathroom stall. In my experience this design is the cleanest and least smelly. If more privies were built like this, then I might start using them again.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarfoot View Post
    A well-designed and well-maintained privy doesn't have much more of an odor than an indoor bathroom. That being said, few are well-designed and few are well-maintained.
    +1 that just about sums it up. I try not to complain about privies as they are mostly maintained by volunteers, and I say bless them for doing it at all!

There are only a handful of privies that I've seen which weren't nasty. There is a new design at a few sites in Connecticut where the privy had walls that allow for privacy, but don't fully enclose the top and bottom of the "seating area" sort of like an indoor bathroom stall. In my experience this design is the cleanest and least smelly. If more privies were built like this, then I might start using them again.

The no-roof thing is not so great when it's raining or snowing, though. I think the reason for the lack of roof is that the roofless privies don't have to be equipped with ramps and other features that would make them handicapped-accessible.

The privies we saw in Finland were nicer than most indoor bathrooms I've seen. Designed for proper airflow. Beautifully constructed and painted. Peat moss provided for adding. The women's sides even had chutes for disposing of sanitary products.

Of course the "very primitive" huts were so nice I could happily live in one indefinitely.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    There is a new design at a few sites in Connecticut where the privy had walls that allow for privacy, but don't fully enclose the top and bottom of the "seating area" sort of like an indoor bathroom stall. In my experience this design is the cleanest and least smelly. If more privies were built like this, then I might start using them again.
    It's kind of funny to see the sign asking to keep the door closed "to keep animals out" when there is that big gap between the wall and the floor.
    ~~
    Allen "Monkeywrench" Freeman
    NOBO 3-18-09 - 9-27-09
    blog.allenf.com
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeywrench View Post
    It's kind of funny to see the sign asking to keep the door closed "to keep animals out" when there is that big gap between the wall and the floor.
    It's Connecticut, we seem to have some sort of unhealthy obsession with trail signage.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

The bigger question; Did it smell like that when they ate it?

Quote Originally Posted by Virginia Archer View Post
    WOW, I know Thru hikers eat alot of different stuff but damn!!! I have never put my nose thru that kinda torcher before!!
    You must have studied it very close to tell it was thru-hiker's shizz.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Images

My favorite was where someone had tacked up the cocoa mix envelope stating: "Making warm chocolate memories". Can't remember where, but I laughed for a long time.

Anytime there was a privy, I used it. Thanks to ALL the volunteers for maintaining them. Had a great discussion with a group of volunteers (again, not sure where) about how they are maintained, changed out, materials thrown in, etc. as they were switching the sides on one.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

I've decided that privies are just too nasty for me to use. Next time you're in there, take a real close look at the seat; thank you very much, but I'll just crap in a dirt hole.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

If you notice, mouldering privies have almost zero odor and encourage urination in them. Its the pit privies that stink because hikers pee in them and they have too much moisture, hence odor while decaying.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

FYI I was out over the weekend and met a work crew from the CMC.Next weekend they and the USFS are to build a new privy at Jerry's Cabin shelter......

Journal Entries

Some have buckets of leaves/dirt/mulch and users of the privi, I think for going # 2 only, are encouraged to throw some of that down after their use. It helps breakdown the waste faster/better.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

A good privy would be one that can be moved along a line of a handful of holes and vent tubes. Hikers just using a handful of leaves can help to cover their waste can help decompose waste faster.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

No walls, no roof, no smell, unless you stick your head right down in it. Uh, it's not that private though.bama_boom-boom_room_029_thumb.jpg
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Images

The privy at Little Laurel shelter has been recently moved and is on a wood frame which allows it to be moved as needed....

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    If you notice, mouldering privies have almost zero odor and encourage urination in them. Its the pit privies that stink because hikers pee in them and they have too much moisture, hence odor while decaying.
    Yes, this is how composting toilets work. Separate the solid and liquid waste. Also aeration is helpful. It's when things go anaerobic that the stink happens. Unfortunately, this is more difficult in a pit privy.

Yeah, it probably did

I eat MRE's that way i do not have to use the privy for at least a week, by then i am done with my section hike.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++