WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by quinn122:1351366
    forgive me for sounding ignorant, but to what extent do they work? like can i take water right from sunfish pond, filter it thru a sheet, and filter it, and then its drinkable? like i said, this is my first time doing this alone.im super excited, and want to make sure im prepared, and i do it right..im out there for 1 week before i get picked up at greenwood lake. again, ty for ur time and knowledge.
    It's a two dropper bottle system. 7 drops of each part get mixed together and allowed to react for five minutes. Then add to a quart of water. Then wait 15 minutes and your ready.

Dont think you will see any cottonmouths

Range and Habitat:
    Cottonmouths range throughout the Southeast, north to southeastern Virginia. In our region cottonmouths are generally restricted to the Coastal Plain but are found in a few Piedmont locations west of Atlanta, Georgia. They can be found in nearly all freshwater habitats but are most common in cypress swamps, river floodplains, and heavily-vegetated wetlands. Cottonmouths will venture overland and are sometimes found far from permanent water. Cottonmouths often congregate around drying pools in wetlands to feed on trapped fish and amphibians.

I made my first ever one week hike by myself the first week of Oct and had a great time and met a lot real nice hikers. I done the Ga section. I tented the first night then it rained the hole next day hard. So I sheltered the rest of the week, first time in a shelter too. Can't. Wait for my next section.

hopefully the weather is good, so far it looks like it..yea i cant wait to go.wanna get to greenwood in less than a week, maybe i can do a little of ny also

Images

NJ is a fun state, not too difficult, with good weather plenty of vista's / overlooks..........and many places to resupply.

Forget boiling water, take another route there.

Challenge this time of year is the short days, many try to get up and hiking at or around the break of day, easier said that done. Will be CHILLY in the early am.

Images

............oh yeah, on the hiking alone part...........its all a walk in the woods, enjoy the privacy and solace, rare air...........running into people will be that much more enjoyable.

Images

As long as you are semi prepared then just have fun, go fast, and get a good workout.

Images

Water wasn't issue for us on the trail, all the streams were flowing, but you should have a filter or Aqua Mira as suggested. The primitive campsite on the AT in Worthington State Forest has a Bear Box as well as a place to hang your food, I don't know if the Public Camp Ground itself is open. My recommendation would be to skip the primitive camp site and hike to Mohican Outdoor Center if you intent to hike short days. If you intend to push a few extra miles to the camp site just beyond Catshish Tower, remember the days are going to be getting shorter so you won't have much light and hiking by headlamp gets tricky. When Ohoulihan and I did this hike we pushed for 15 1/2 miles the first day and camp below Catfish Fire Tower. The next day we hiked another 16 miles and made Gren Anderson Shelter in the dark. If Gren Anderson is to much hit Brinks Road, just realize you won't make High Point in three days which is optimal. Delaware Water Gap to High Point is going to be the toughest part of the hike. Everything past High point was easy hiking with the exception of the climb up to Pochuch Shelter, there is a side trail on the way up that leads to a house with a spigot, I suggest filling up before continuing the climb. If you need water, Murray's Shelter has a spigot and heat if you decide to stay the night. Resupply in Unionville NY, a 1/2 mile walk up Lott Rd. Also there's a seasonal Farmers Market a short walk north on Rte 94. It's an opportunity to fill up your water and pick up a snack before making the trip to Wawayanda Shelter. From Wawaynda the trail was a nice hike, before you hit the NY/NJ line there is a Blue Blaze trail heading down to Rte 210 (Jersey Ave) along Greenwood Lake. As Ohoulihan stated, we didn't see any dangerous wildlife. Dress warm the nights are gonna be cold, enjoy your hike.
    A.T. Section Hikes
    NJ: Oct. 7 - 13, 2012 - Completed
    CT: Apr. 28 - May 1, 2013 - Completed
    NY: Fall 2013 - roughly 14 mile left to go

My Current Base Pack Weight

im def bringing a filter with me, no point in playing games.im gonna check out worthington sites, and the thru hiker site south of sunfish pond, just in case i dont hike far my first day.im giving myself a week to do nj.hopefully i pull it off.im new to doing this alone, so my only concern was from nightly wildlife visitors. i plan on hanging my bag, and not keeping any type of food in my tent.that is alot of useful info rich, i do appreciate it.my other main concern is, are all the at campsites along the trail clearly marked? im gonna check out the ones u mentioned, stay at as many as i can. have a great night...jim

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++