WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

:banana Would like to try a quilt

I think I'd like to try a quilt next spring and am looking for some recommendations I do like the idea of something very simple, basically just something I can pull over myself in the tent. Here are my criteria:

1. I'd like the quilt to pack down to a very small size. I've read that some will actually pack down to softball size. True?
    2. I'm strictly a three season camper so I don't think I need to much below 30 degrees.

Any thoughts.....

Thanks in advance.

One more thing, since most of my camping is summer, I would sacrifice warmth for the ability to compact, but no 1/2 length quilts.

Images

A quilt with a foot box will help keep the quilt in place, as well as keeping you warm. A foot box that opens flat will be more comfortable on warmer nights when drafts and a bit of exposed skin is okay, even welcome. Enlightened Equipment is a good place to start your search.

Enlightened gear Revelation X 20 or 30 down quilt. i'm hoping to get a 20F for spring/fall eventually.

i made a synthetic summer only quilt that is good to 45-50F but once you go warmer than that down is lighter and more compact.

Images

I just got a Thermarest Ventra Down comforter with a gift certificate that attaches to a sheet to go with my thermarest. It has a foot box. Supposed to be good at 40 degrees. I am an extremely hot sleeper and am small and this is replacing and old heavy 12 year old three season non-down bag. And it is replacing the down liner of my brother's from the 70's that ran out of down that I have used for a sleeping bag on week trips. I am taking it on a weekend backpack trip in a couple of weeks. I did not vet it here, but I am interested in opinions anyway.
    It is way lighter than I had and I love down, but I know it is not ultra light. I thought it might work for our shoulder season weekend trips. I loved that old down liner and it was the closest thing I saw to it.

yea.. for similar price they can get the Enlightened quilt with 850 Fp down in like 1.5lb range.

Images

yea,... I did not have that option at the place I had the gift certificate. I have heard the Enlightened's are very good

Garlic
    Images

Another recommendation here for the EnLightened Equipment Revelation X. Nice features, good price, and it has worked great for me down to its rating.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by xftnfnb7 View Post
    ...I'd like the quilt to pack down to a very small size. I've read that some will actually pack down to softball size. True?
    EE does not publish a packed size, and I never tried to pack mine down that small, nor would I--no need. I doubt the one I bought would pack that small. Maybe one of the more expensive ones with lighter fabric would.

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    A quilt with a foot box will help keep the quilt in place, as well as keeping you warm. A foot box that opens flat will be more comfortable on warmer nights when drafts and a bit of exposed skin is okay, even welcome. Enlightened Equipment is a good place to start your search.
    ^^ +1 My quilt is a 3 season, 45* quilt that has a slap up footbox with a drawstring at the bottom. Love it. And yes, it packs down to a softball.
    Smile, Smile, Smile.... Mile after Mile

I have a Jacks R Better Sierra Sniveller and I love it.

++ New Posts ++