WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

thanks for all the tips.
    and all the product recommendations jakedatc. I'm sure I'll have some questions when I'm holding two different filters or stoves.

Sawyer squeeze filter.. if you are going to go filter and not chemical there is really not much competition. (though buy an evernew bladder instead of using sawyers bags)

Images

I was thinking filter because I have heard that chemical can have negative effects if used overtime. So these filters are enough? No boiling?

Quote Originally Posted by mdj05f:1350341
    I was thinking filter because I have heard that chemical can have negative effects if used overtime. So these filters are enough? No boiling?
    Do you drink municipal water? If yes it's chlorine dioxide is most treatment plants.

yea. the only major precaution with filters is they cannot be frozen. so if the temps look like they will drop you have to keep them in tent at least and in sleeping bag at the end if it is going to be really cold.

Images

By the way, if you are interested in the Osprey EXOS packs, they are on sale at e-omc for $125 minus an additional 10% = $112.50 for the 46 liter (the 58 is also on sale for $158, but for me the 46L is plenty big enough). The EXOS is a fine pack if you can keep the total weight at about 25-30 lb and below (including food/water).

http://www.e-omc.com/catalog/product...-Backpack.html

Images

PS: go to the e-omc home page to get the coupon code "summer20" for the extra 10% off.

Images

if it gets that cold, then our trip didn't go as planned!

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    By the way, if you are interested in the Osprey EXOS packs, they are on sale at e-omc for $125 minus an additional 10% = $112.50 for the 46 liter (the 58 is also on sale for $158, but for me the 46L is plenty big enough). The EXOS is a fine pack if you can keep the total weight at about 25-30 lb and below (including food/water).

http://www.e-omc.com/catalog/product...-Backpack.html
    The reason i went with the 58 over the 46 is that you get that extra space that can come in handy for only a 4 oz penalty .. you can still cinch it down when you have less food. and you can not squash you down stuff as much.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jakedatc View Post
    The reason i went with the 58 over the 46 is that you get that extra space that can come in handy for only a 4 oz penalty .. you can still cinch it down when you have less food. and you can not squash you down stuff as much.
    Yeah I hear ya, but those sale prices favor the 46L ($46 cheaper than the 58L) and I know the OP was looking to save as much money as possible, and I truly find the 46L plenty big, with up to 6-7 days of food, at least for May-Oct.

Images

awesome. thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    By the way, if you are interested in the Osprey EXOS packs, they are on sale at e-omc for $125 minus an additional 10% = $112.50 for the 46 liter
    I'm drooling a little bit....

Journal Entries
    Images

Perhaps a deuter act zero. http://deuter.com/en_US/backpack-det...0%2B%2015%20SL

You can adjust the origin of the sholder straps.
    load lifters
    The frame comes out and the shoulder straps come off.
    can go in washing machine
    strong
    It's popular in Germany.

An osprey is a great lightweight option. I doubt it would last 2k miles because the material looks thin.
    Last edited by cabbagehead; 10-23-2012 at 22:17.
    David Smolinski

why do you doubt Ospreys? Fabric is light but it is not fragile. I saw plenty of Thru hikers with them and I have the exos 34 and 58. they also have a great warranty policy

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rain man View Post
    i don't see (maybe i missed it?) that anyone said you have to be measured for a pack, just like for shoes. Everyone's backbone is their own, no matter their total height. Even the flair of hips, width of shoulders, volume of chest, and etc. Are a four dimensional puzzle. So, for a hike of any length, it's helpful to have the right pack, and that doesn't mean the right brand, model, volume, or color. It means it fits your unique body. Only way to tell is to start with a knowledgeable staff who can measure you and then suggest a variety of packs, then allow you to try them on fully loaded with weights (a good store has weighted sacks) and let you walk around for a while with each pack.

But i can tell you from experience, that even that is not perfect. Only a long-distance hike can tell you for sure. My daughter worked in an outfitter store before her thru-hike and she still switched out her pack after a few weeks on the trail.

I can also tell you that it's not just the pack, but other issues, such as what you load in it and where, and what you wear under the pack. I got a new pack this summer and it promptly rubbed a raw spot on my backside due to the underwear i was wearing on a trip.

It's all a balancing act and not one we can readily and assuredly answer for you online based on a tidbit of data. So, experiment. Hopefully buy from a store that allows returns. And don't expect perfection, just fun.

Rainman

p.s. There's a saying that if you buy a big pack, you will fill it up, so buy a small pack.

ditto - rain man
    DeerPath

LIFE'S JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE GRAVE SAFELY
    IN A WELL PRESERVED BODY,
    BUT RATHER SKID IN SIDEWAYS, TOTALLY WORN OUT,
    SHOUTING "HOLY CRAP....WHAT A RIDE!"

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jakedatc View Post
    why do you doubt Ospreys? Fabric is light but it is not fragile. I saw plenty of Thru hikers with them and I have the exos 34 and 58. they also have a great warranty policy
    Things are only as strong as their materials. Ospreys look light. They seem economic.
    David Smolinski

Quote Originally Posted by cabbagehead View Post
    Things are only as strong as their materials. Ospreys look light. They seem economic.
    Well mine are doing fine so far. I saw plenty of Thru's in Vermont that were loving theirs. they have a 100% guarantee so if there is an issue they will fix or replace.

throwing out doubts on "looks" is a bit of a reach don't you think?

Journal Entries
    Images

I met someone with a broken Osprey. They still have substantial advantages.
    David Smolinski

Like being 1lb lighter than that Deuter, breathable shoulder and waist straps, air flow back panel, waist belt pockets, horizontal bottle pocket openings, pole stowing system ................

Quote Originally Posted by cabbagehead View Post
    An osprey is a great lightweight option. I doubt it would last 2k miles because the material looks thin.
    I saw plenty of thru hikers with osprey packs last year, if they didn't hold up I guarantee we'd all be hearing about it. Like steripen hearing about it.

Osprey also has a lifetime warranty and they're at trail days standing behind it.
    http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/web/all_mighty_guarantee

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++