WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Max Patch to Hot Springs

The shelters seem spaced to far a part for our upcoming trek. A mid day start with time to enjoy the Patch seems like reaching Walnut Mtn might be too much to ask. Is there camping and wwater near Lemon Gap? And on day 2 is there camping/H2O near Little Bottom Branch Gap?Any other helpful advice, suggestions about this section? Thanks

old thread, but I want to add that although many people camp on the clearing on top of Max Patch, there is a real choice place to camp right at the base of Max Patch, a little to the east of the trail along an old access road. At least we really enjoyed it.

On the nobo side of max patch there are nice camping places
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    On the nobo side of max patch there are nice camping places
    Yep.. hiking north you can grab water just after you cross the road and start up Max Patch. Then, walk over Max Patch and as soon as you leave the bald and get back in the woods there's camping for about at least 20 tents.

The only problem is that it's hard, compacted dirt and turns to a nice mud pit if it rains. You can also walk for another 30 minutes or so and get to the shelter if that's your thing.

Images

[quote name=&quot;Gambit McCrae&quot; post=1910860]On the nobo side of max patch there are nice camping places[/QUOTE]<br />
    <br />
    Yep.. hiking north you can grab water just after you cross the road and start up Max Patch. Then, walk over Max Patch and as soon as you leave the bald and get back in the woods there's camping for about at least 20 tents. <br />
    <br />
    The only problem is that it's hard, compacted dirt and turns to a nice mud pit if it rains. You can also walk for another 30 minutes or so and get to the shelter if that's your thing.<br/>

This is good to know. Hoping to hike over Max Patch in early Nov with my son.
    Formerly uhfox

Springer to Bear Mountain Inn, NY
    N Adams, MA to Clarendon VT
    Franconia Notch to Crawford Notch

And there is camping between the shelter and Lemon Gap--right before you get to the Gap Rd crossing.

Anything worth noting for this short section that anyone else can add? Any other really good campsites, water sources, places to stop and see, etc... ?

Thanks.
    ...take nothing but memories and pictures, leave nothing but footprints, and kill only time... (Bette Filley in Discovering the Wonders of the Wonderland Trail)

Roaring Fork shelter is only a mile or two north from Max Patch - depending if you're measuring from summit, road crossing, or edge of woods. Water for Roaring Fork is on the south side of camp - we couldn't find it having hiked in from the north at dark, but NOBO you hike right past it. I also seem to recall Lemon Gap looked good for camping spots, but I don't recall any water, since I was hiking on through. It's 3.6 from water at Roaring Fork.

Stick - I did it in deep snow which was kindof cool. Cold nights, but neat. Hot Springs to Standing Bear, 2 nights, last year. There's a large communication station or some kind of large piece of technology on the top of Snowbird Mountain south of Max Patch. Pretty good views from there too. But Max Patch was the highlight, and worth it.

Thanks for the info urbansix. And yeah, we passed that tower on Snowbird a couple of months ago when we passed through there... it was raining though when we came by, so we were more worried about getting across the open bald and back into the woods for a little more cover... And you are so right about Max Patch... it is awesome! My wife and I camped up there a couple of years ago... was totally awesome! This will be my third trip there, and really looking forward to it...
    ...take nothing but memories and pictures, leave nothing but footprints, and kill only time... (Bette Filley in Discovering the Wonders of the Wonderland Trail)

Very interested in this max path section. Where can I look at a map of this area?

Quote Originally Posted by deerdog View Post
    Very interested in this max path section. Where can I look at a map of this area?
    I used the AWOL guide book. It was very helpful with finding water supplies and what is up ahead. Very fun and pretty section! Also if your looking for a real map I would look for the National Geographic map of that area!

++ New Posts ++