Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by LDog View Post
    Packs are tough to choose because often, heavier packs are heavier because of their suspension. That suspension often allows one to carry heavier loads comfortably. But it doesn't help with weight on the knees. The lighter packs with minimum frames are really only suitable for sub 30lb total pack weights. Getting there takes a lot of research, willingness to let stuff go, and ultimately, experience.

You can often return unused stuff you decide not to use, and there's always eBay and Craigslist ...
    Purchased pack at REI since the return policy is pretty liberal. Tried several different packs, the REI 65L seemed to be the best fit. But I believe it is quite a bit heavier than others. Also, the price was right. Last yrs model and was about $100 off. Have had it out on the trail testing and so far so good. Total pack wght was 33lbs. Did a short 1st jaunt around 5 miles.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMomKD View Post
    Yes, I have this tent.. It is easy to set up. I like that fact that you don't have to stake it out. It's free standing... love that about this tent as well. I didn't realize that the tarp tents were enclosed 2. But, I still like all aspects of this tent. The weight is still good, 4 me. I just stuff it in the bottom of my pack. You are getting some great responses and advice here... it's a lot to think about!
    Thanks for your advice, I think thats also why I'm drawn to the MSR, seems very easy to set up. - so thankful for all of you that can help. I am attending a weeklong class with Dr Warren Doyle in the Spring. I was so thrilled to sneak away from wedding prep for our son near Erwin, TN a couple weeks ago to get a morning hike in on the AT, can't wait to immerse myself in the trail for real!. You've thru hiked?

Images

Good backpacking tent - you'll like it.

The REI Flash 65 is a good pack. Love mine, but I am gradually lightening my load enough to consider a smaller and lighter pack.

Quote Originally Posted by Persie View Post
    Thanks for your advice, I think thats also why I'm drawn to the MSR, seems very easy to set up. - so thankful for all of you that can help. I am attending a weeklong class with Dr Warren Doyle in the Spring. I was so thrilled to sneak away from wedding prep for our son near Erwin, TN a couple weeks ago to get a morning hike in on the AT, can't wait to immerse myself in the trail for real!. You've thru hiked?
    You're welcome.
    I have not done a thru hike. I've hiked sections with my daughter. The longest amount of time I've been out on the trail so far is 10 days. I have hiked about 300 miles or so all together. I LOVE backpacking! I've been bitten by the AT bug... that's for sure! LOL!

The best advice I ever got (and I think it was here on WB) regarding buying gear is to buy the lightest piece of gear you can afford that meets your needs. I just wish that I read that BEFORE I purchased my first generation of gear, which has since been replaced by lighter gear. Persie, you are smart to do your research from the beginning.

With regard to the LightHear gear tents, I am 100% confident in my LightHeart Solo after experiencing several hours of strong winds, heavy driving rain, and pounding hail on Mt. Mitchell. This was my first time using this tent under these conditions and I was very pleased. Absolutely no problems. No leaks. No misting. No tears.
    Some people take the straight and narrow. Others the road less traveled. I just cut through the woods.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Creek Dancer View Post
    The best advice I ever got (and I think it was here on WB) regarding buying gear is to buy the lightest piece of gear you can afford that meets your needs. I just wish that I read that BEFORE I purchased my first generation of gear, which has since been replaced by lighter gear. Persie, you are smart to do your research from the beginning.

With regard to the LightHear gear tents, I am 100% confident in my LightHeart Solo after experiencing several hours of strong winds, heavy driving rain, and pounding hail on Mt. Mitchell. This was my first time using this tent under these conditions and I was very pleased. Absolutely no problems. No leaks. No misting. No tears.
    Thanks for the advice Creek Dancer - Ill def. check it out also. Have a wonderful day

Hubba: A little heavy but completely bombproof. That tent will survive almost any storm that comes its way!

I have the Big Agnus ul copper spur 1. Got a great deal on it right here on WB. Used it for the first timea month ago on the AT and it preformed flawless. Easy set up just enough room, I'm 511 200lbs and I was just fine.

Just another suggestion, worth looking into.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Seldomseen View Post
    Hubba: A little heavy but completely bombproof. That tent will survive almost any storm that comes its way!
    Thats good to know, I know from everything I've read/studied, that sometimes, comfort should trump weight. Once I become more at ease with what Im doing, I 'll feel better about lightning my load.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by LionDog View Post
    I have the Big Agnus ul copper spur 1. Got a great deal on it right here on WB. Used it for the first timea month ago on the AT and it preformed flawless. Easy set up just enough room, I'm 511 200lbs and I was just fine.

Just another suggestion, worth looking into.
    Several other folks seem to like that one too - I'm quickly learning that backpacking is like being a kid in a candy store! So many choices!!

Quote Originally Posted by Persie View Post
    Several other folks seem to like that one too - I'm quickly learning that backpacking is like being a kid in a candy store! So many choices!!
    Candy store is spot on. If I didn't get such a great deal on the BA 1. I was looking hard at the hubba 1. Either way good luck.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++