WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Quote Originally Posted by BostonBlue View Post

So exactly what was the deal with Coyote and Jelly Bean, GG? He scored with her and then stole her cash AND stove??
    Dude No way...that's so gangsta!
    Last edited by rocketsocks; 05-13-2013 at 00:17.

Journal Entries

Hey all gator Gump here, also signed on as traveling teacher. Sorry if some are offended by plugging the book but I did not start this thread and am just pushing it for all it is worth. I have seen numerous threads about other books published, such as the very well written AOWL book and A Walk in the Woods, both very entertaining.
    If you don't talk about your book and you have very little money then how else can you inform?
    As for my disrespect of the trail, nothing could be further from the truth. Since completing my hike I have joined several trail maintenance organizations and trails are my favorite charity. Read the book before u pass judgement.
    As for signing on as traveling teacher, i will admit that was an initial attempt to see what others were saying
    without bias. But that mask was unvieled long ago. Thank you for the positive comments, they have been far more numerous than the negative.

I read your journal in its entirety after reading this thread. I did not feel any disrespect. No blind devotion either... but no disrespect. Good luck with your book.

sent from samsonite using tapioca 2
    Let me go

GG, I read your journal when you hiked and thought it was great. I'll likely get your book at some point too.

Thanks for sharing your journey.

-Cphobes

Images

GG, I read your journals, and bought your book, I am currently readin The Great Gatsby, but couldn't stand your book taunting me, so I put down an classic and read the first three chapters of yours!!! Great read.

Funny, people say "Hike your own hike" when they mean "hike your hike the way I think you should....."

Gator Gump in his book bragged about sneaking 4 other hikers into his room in Manchester Center. Said when they left everything was black from the mud - carpet, walls, bedding, towels. Plugged the shower and the toilet. Said the owner probably wouldn't be too happy about renting to future thru hikers....

Mr Gump owns a restaurant. I wonder how he'd feel if 1 hiker came in and paid for the buffett, then snuck food to 4 other hikers, and then the 5 of them left his bathroom in the same condition as he left the hotel.

Entertaining writer? Yep. Friend of the trail? Hell no.

"Gator Gump in his book bragged about sneaking 4 other hikers into his room in Manchester Center. Said when they left everything was black from the mud - carpet, walls, bedding, towels. Plugged the shower and the toilet. Said the owner probably wouldn't be too happy about renting to future thru hikers...."

GG, since you acknowledge that you did it and that it wasn't exactly your most ethical moment, why not set things square by sending them a check equal to what 4 hikers would have paid plus $50 or so for the cost of the shower and toilet, then maybe people here will start to call it square? By doing so, at least you'd have a cleaner conscience. What do you say?

Images

I too find it ironic that, as a small business owner, he'd find enjoyment out of ripping off another small business owner.
    At least he admits to it, and it was something he experienced.

Quote Originally Posted by Doughnut View Post
    GG, I read your journals, and bought your book, I am currently readin The Great Gatsby, but couldn't stand your book taunting me, so I put down an classic and read the first three chapters of yours!!! Great read.

Funny, people say "Hike your own hike" when they mean "hike your hike the way I think you should....."
    Sorry Doughnut, it is not funny, and if you think it is you may want to go searching for your moral compass.
    To most people HYOH means to do whatever you want on things that do NOT impact other people. Gator Gump in his actions has gone way beyond that and is impacting other people (hikers, businesses). When you start making things difficult for future hikers and cheating businesses that service the trail community, you have gone way beyond HYOH to being a jerk and even a criminal.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    Sorry Doughnut, it is not funny, and if you think it is you may want to go searching for your moral compass.
    To most people HYOH means to do whatever you want on things that do NOT impact other people. Gator Gump in his actions has gone way beyond that and is impacting other people (hikers, businesses). When you start making things difficult for future hikers and cheating businesses that service the trail community, you have gone way beyond HYOH to being a jerk and even a criminal.
    "Moral Compass?" I can't believe the outrage over this hiker. Did you actually read his book? Well, I did. I honestly expected far worse from the manner in which others have reacted. From what I read from book and journal: the guy had a propensity for taking his clothes off; partied his way up the trail; and did not treat a hotel owner well. Who CARES if this guy sits naked on the Springer Mt. plaque or parties too hard? And while I definitely agree that he should reimburse the hotel owner and send a check - what he did has been done by hundreds of AT thru-hikers in the past. Doesn't make it right, but hardly puts him in the same category as what you are describing.

I actually admired the guy in many ways for hiking his own hike in the manner that he saw fit. In real life, apparently he owns a few restaurants; is quite the family man; has worked at maintaining trails and financially contributed to help the AT. Did he come across as an obnoxious overgrown frat boy at times? Yes, he did. But I think I'd rather hike with him than someone who judgmentally feels they must dictate to others how they should hike the AT or live their life and acts like he is Attila the Hun for a few pranks. As I see it, the only thing this man is really "guilty" of is the hotel room.

The person that should be crucified here is Coyote. He is the guy who apparently slept with Jelly Bean and disappeared the next day with all her cash as well as her stove! Now THAT is a man with low morals.

Images

gator,
    Just finished oyur book, INCREDIBLE!!! Thanks for writing and sharing with us, what a journey!

Quote Originally Posted by BostonBlue View Post
    The person that should be crucified here is Coyote. He is the guy who apparently slept with Jelly Bean and disappeared the next day with all her cash as well as her stove! Now THAT is a man with low morals.
    Is he trying to sell a book too?
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Doughnut View Post
    gator,
    Just finished oyur book, INCREDIBLE!!! Thanks for writing and sharing with us, what a journey!
    Why thank you doughnut! Don't get on here often but so happy you enjoyed the book! It has been selling well and with the exception of just a few the reviews have been off the charts great!

Images

I read the GG book and thought it was great entertainment. I do agree that trashing the hotel room was not the ethical thing to do but other than that I laughed my way through the entire book.

Read the book, thought it was great! Near the end was a bit boring with the cowboys but that's ok always tough to end a good book or hike. As usual I get teary eyed when hikers finish their hike, same for GG as well as many other journals I've read on trailjournals etc. I can only hope to someday join the ranks of thru-hikers, till then sections are my journey.

As for all the hub-bub online about his journey, I think some people think a bit too highly of themselves.

GG, thanks again for sharing,
    -Cphobes

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
++ New Posts ++